INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Starting a Humanist Society at college?

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
tea_ismynewjesus

Starting a Humanist Society at college?

#1 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » October 7th, 2010, 10:02 pm

The 6th form college I go to has many different "societies" to join. I'm a member of the biology, law, classics, and computer science societies. Law and Classic Civilisation had especially good cakes to bribe me with, but I won't actually show up to any meetings. There's poo-loads of other things, too. Robotics, philosophy, geography, Christian Union, debating... Humanism is a fast-growing attitude and I think it'd be awesome for it to have a face at the Societies' Fare at the start of each year. Preferably situated next to the Christian Union's bit. When I'm in upper sixth I can start my own group.

My thinking is that more people would go along to a atheist/agnostic/secular society. I wouldn't want to do an atheist society because, well, there's not much to it! The important thing is that anyone can go along. For instance, I went to the debating society just to see if I'd like it... Debating is already an enrichment activity for me, and I think that's quite enough.

Anyone done something similar? How did it go?

peterangus

Re: Starting a Humanist Society at college?

#2 Post by peterangus » October 7th, 2010, 10:12 pm

There are many existing student groups.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/meet-up/grou ... ent-groups
Peter Angus

tea_ismynewjesus

#3 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » October 7th, 2010, 10:22 pm

peterangus wrote:There are many existing student groups.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/meet-up/grou ... ent-groups
Ah yes. Thank you for that. Perhaps I shall ask them for advice on what to do with the group! I'm going along to the Cambridge Humanist Group's informal meet-ups soon, so I can see what goes on there, too.

Caterpillar

#4 Post by Caterpillar » October 13th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Perhaps you need to tell people what humanism is. I think many people are humanists without realising.

tea_ismynewjesus

#5 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » October 14th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Caterpillar wrote:Perhaps you need to tell people what humanism is. I think many people are humanists without realising.
Ah, good thinking. This is certainly how I felt when stumbling across the BHA :)

coffee

#6 Post by coffee » October 27th, 2010, 10:04 am

Hello tea_ismynewjesus, I love your avatar!

tea_ismynewjesus

#7 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » November 5th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Hello, coffee!

I dislike your username. :wink:

Things are kicking of with the humanist group... Got a few people interested and a page on our social networking site. Yes, my college has its own little facebook. It's absurd.

Just planning things to discuss and fun stuff to do. Pretty please give me some suggestions *puppy eyes* even if you think they're obvious or stupid.

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » November 6th, 2010, 11:05 am

Oi! Less of the tea-ism and coffee-ism on here please! We have equality for all beverages here. :laughter:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?