INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Talk to Yourself

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Robin Martlew

Re: Talk to Yourself

#161 Post by Robin Martlew » October 31st, 2010, 8:51 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Is anyone listening
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
shan't answer then
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave B

#162 Post by Dave B » October 31st, 2010, 9:43 pm

Why do I bother starting deep threads when I know that my mind does not seem to be working as well as it once did? I seem to lose the thread far too easily these days and cannot get into a frame of mind to argue with confidence.

Just stick to the voluntary work I enjoy (just point me at an objective, press the go button and leave me to it!) Didn't manage to sort the world out in the last 66 years (and never noticed that anyone else did so either, for all the talk and argument!) so why bother now? Just enjoy the games, make the odd cogent, or sarky, comment (?) and support the things I feel are supportable.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

thundril

#163 Post by thundril » November 2nd, 2010, 2:08 pm

Hello, self! Back here again? What is it with you and the anti-god internet chatworld?
It's been over forty years since you lost the last races of god.
Let it go for fuxake!

Gottard

#164 Post by Gottard » November 2nd, 2010, 4:53 pm

My Honda civic hybrid is now one year old; I realize to have done a good purchase.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Vicky

#165 Post by Vicky » November 4th, 2010, 8:10 am

I wish I knew of a foolproof way to get rid of an "earworm"........ Replacing it with another tune seems simply to prolong the agony!

jamesjones950

#166 Post by jamesjones950 » November 4th, 2010, 6:09 pm

I agree, Vicky. Once a song is Always On My Mind, it can drive me Crazy!
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

tea_ismynewjesus

#167 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » November 5th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Hey William. Any idea where I left my psuedocode for my computing homework?

No idea, William. Did you check my pants draw? Things often make there way there.

Haha, yeah. Thanks, I'll check my pants draw.

Ken H

#168 Post by Ken H » November 6th, 2010, 2:00 am

Vicky wrote:I wish I knew of a foolproof way to get rid of an "earworm"........ Replacing it with another tune seems simply to prolong the agony!
On TV over here, HP has a "Happy Baby" ad using Melanie's Brand New Key song from the 70's. It seems to run on most channels. That tune will stick in your head and drive you nuts!

Warning, watch at your own risk!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCLPech ... re=related
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Vicky

#169 Post by Vicky » November 6th, 2010, 8:12 am

Thanks (I think!), Ken H! At least it makes a change from the usual songs which get stuck in my head!

jaywhat

Re: Talk to YOURSELF

#170 Post by jaywhat » November 6th, 2010, 8:57 am

. . . . . . . . . . . . . :pointlaugh: . . . . . . .

Why not get yourself a nice notebook, jaywhat, (and a pen) and write to yourself in private instead of being so stupid about putting your private thoughts into a public forum on the internet. You could even use the lovely notebook that Ninny bought you in Devon at that shop we always go into when we visit Ilfracombe.

Is it your sad (and only) way of getting your briliant thoughts published. :retreat:

Marian

#171 Post by Marian » November 7th, 2010, 12:38 pm

sigh...
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#172 Post by Dave B » November 7th, 2010, 8:28 pm

. . . mutter-Tescos-mumble-fireworks-moan-kids-groan-hips . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jamesjones950

#173 Post by jamesjones950 » November 7th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Vicky wrote:Thanks (I think!), Ken H! At least it makes a change from the usual songs which get stuck in my head!
You'll all hate me for this:

"The Sun Has Got His Hat On,
Hip Hip Hip Hooray,
The Sun Has Got His Hat On
And He's Coming Out To Play."

Happy humming.
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

getreal

#174 Post by getreal » November 7th, 2010, 9:49 pm

That woman!!!

I can't even bring myself to say "I told you so". It would make me as bad as she is. Witch! Ignorant with! Ignorant, arrogant, nasty witch!!!!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#175 Post by Dave B » November 16th, 2010, 2:39 pm

There are always days like this . . .

Last night: no food, or drinks other than water, after 8pm because I want to go for a starvation blood sugar test tomorrow.

Today: up an hour early, no breakfast, to drive to hospital, then to County Archives after. Car covered in frost and will not start, get downstairs neighbour (a car mechanic) to sort it out - have breakfast thus no point in going for blood test (it's a "drop in" clinic so no actual appointment.) Decide to do some work on report at home.

Noon, thinking about an early lunch when phone rings, friend Carole, "Got a minute to give me a hand please, Dave?" Off to Carole's, problem is water under washing machine, C has called the washing machine man but he cannot come in until next week - panic! Back to get tools etc.

Find water around the union of the T-piece that feeds the w/machine. Spend ten minutes getting the stop-tap to close, another five waiting for the upper pipework to drain etc., the service valve for the w/machine is also stuck fast (been over 25 years since all this was installed.) Then can't shift the union, have to move w/machine completely out of its hole to get both hands to job. Get union undone, wrap ptfe sealing tape around appropriate bits and re-tighten. Turn water back on, water now leaking from where the filler hose connected. Undo that and clean it all up and re-fit. Keep testing for about half an hour to feel happy no more leaks - hope it stays that way.

"Got a minute?" has now stretched from noon to 2pm! "I'll get a bottle of wine for us to share tonight to pay you back, Dave", says C. "Can't do that," I reply, "I must get this blood sugar test done and daren't drink wine the evening before!"

Ho, hum, stops me getting bored . . . Looking forward to sharing the bottle on Friday instead!

1440 - definitely "one of those days" - have just discovered that I have been editing the wrong version of the report!

Think I'll go back to bed. :sad:
Me, 2015

Nick

#176 Post by Nick » November 16th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Dave B wrote:Noon, thinking about an early lunch when phone rings, friend Carole, "Got a minute to give me a hand please, Dave?" Off to Carole's, problem is water under washing machine, C has called the washing machine man but he cannot come in until next week - panic! Back to get tools etc.

Find water around the union of the T-piece that feeds the w/machine. Spend ten minutes getting the stop-tap to close, another five waiting for the upper pipework to drain etc., the service valve for the w/machine is also stuck fast (been over 25 years since all this was installed.) Then can't shift the union, have to move w/machine completely out of its hole to get both hands to job. Get union undone, wrap ptfe sealing tape around appropriate bits and re-tighten. Turn water back on, water now leaking from where the filler hose connected. Undo that and clean it all up and re-fit. Keep testing for about half an hour to feel happy no more leaks - hope it stays that way.

"Got a minute?" has now stretched from noon to 2pm!

*thinks*Blimey If Dave gets all that done in 2 hours, he's a useful chap to know! Must try to be extra nice to him on TH....

Dave B

#177 Post by Dave B » November 16th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Aw, the actual work rarely takes long, Nick, it's all the faffing around before and after that takes most of it. C.lives only a few doors away. Now, if I did the job properly I would have cut out all those corroded bits and fitted a new T-piece and service valve. After going and getting those from B&Q I would probably still be there now, cursing and groaning all bent up under the work surface (getting too old for that bit of the job I admit!)

But, if it works it will save C. about £50, if it still leaks a little matters have been left so that it won't be a major problem until the man with all the right tools, bits and knowledge arrives.
Me, 2015

Nick

#178 Post by Nick » November 16th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Hmm... in 2 hours, I'm barely passed drinking tea and scratching my chin....

...which is why my contracts for such work would always include a charge for "worrying time",otherwise I'd go bust.

Dave B

#179 Post by Dave B » November 16th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Ah, well, my last job, 18 years as a lab tech, nursing and spoonfeeding electronic and chemical design engineers, who were dangerous (usually to themselves) if you gave them a screwdriver, and solving their practical problems was good training for this sort of thing.
Me, 2015

Dave B

#180 Post by Dave B » November 21st, 2010, 10:06 pm

Bin an dun it now! Dithered for weeks.

Just ordered a mobile Internet dongle. Got fed up having to muck about on other people's systems away from home - and then wipe all traces off because I realised they can access my email account through the history section of the browser. I use my laptop away from home three or four days a week and can rarely access other systems (in the Library and Archives especially) via WiFi or Bluetooth. Can do that, free, in some pubs though . . .

Going to cost me £30 up front + £5/month + 5p/MB downloaded to a max of 800MB/month, but I access big download files extremely rarely and can do that on the cable link at home anyway.
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#181 Post by jaywhat » November 24th, 2010, 5:58 am

Just been on the Countdown thread and mumbled away there about putting the number on before doing anything else. This is what I said:
Now I have put the number first so that I cannot do anything wrong today. Put the number first; concentrate on getting it right, then everything will fall into place and your day will proceed with calm enjoyment.
Once you have put the number and ensured that it is one less than the previous post you can make a nice comment to the local gang and even a witty something or other that is on your lips.
Of course, by then you will ready for a coffee and have nothing much to say.

..but what a bloody waste of a life spending time putting bloody rubbish on this so accomodating forum.
There are people somewhere arguing about what exactly a cryptic clue is and somewhere else they are dithering over what word makes any sense if you put it after this word and before that word - and I do not know what they are talking about. Sometimes I feel they don't either.
It's a surreal world here, but I guess I guess it is better than reality.