INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Talk to Yourself

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Nick

Re: Talk to Yourself

#141 Post by Nick » May 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

{{{getreal}}}} I'm beginning to understand the polar bear....

jaywhat

#142 Post by jaywhat » July 1st, 2010, 11:25 am

What is point of opening a new bank account when I have nothing to put in it. I like the Co-op is why and it stands for good things and I want eveyone to join the co-op and shut their accounts with fucking rubbish unethical banks.
All those years ago I opened my Giro account because it was really 'The Post Office' and that was not privately run or anything. Privately run things are often (not always) bollocks because someone (like a share holder) is getting dosh for doing nothing.
Then my giro account changed to Alliance and Leicester and many years went by - nothing much to moan about then it changed to Santander and I hate them. Just hate them.
They do not know it yet but they are soon getting a letter from the Co-op telling them they have to give them all my details and pay my money over to them and close my account. - and they don't know anything yet - but I am getting MY say at last. Yes!
What else? Nothing for now.

Gottard

#143 Post by Gottard » July 1st, 2010, 8:40 pm

Great unique week mine if you consider that two Humanists only live in Italy (me included)! I met the other one in Sicily (where he lives) and yesterday I welcomed a Mancunian visiting northern Italy. Both nice individuals and excellent personalities. :party:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Ken H

#144 Post by Ken H » July 4th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Happy fourth of July to all US citizens. The day we finally won our independence from those British heathens! :D

Also, belated happy Canada Day for all the Canadians here!
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Gottard

#145 Post by Gottard » July 4th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Ken H wrote: The day we finally won our independence from those British heathens!
Mind Ken H, you are walking on eggs by saying so [-X
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Ken H

#146 Post by Ken H » July 5th, 2010, 12:27 am

Yeah, but I think we lost during the British invasion which took place around 1964...
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Marian

#147 Post by Marian » July 5th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Thanks Ken. I spent my Canada Day celebrating my new slow-speed motorcycle skills in a nearby parking lot. Woo-hoo! :)

As for talking to myself, I do that so often that I can no longer tell if I've said the thing out loud or not. But here's a taste.

I wonder what it would be like to be inside someone else's head. I am so curious what W thought after I responded to his racist comment about non-Caucasian drivers. I doubt he was too happy since I 'dressed him up' in front of others but I am so sick and tired of hearing statements that are so offensive when that very person has requested everyone else act in a respectul manner. Wtf? The funny thing is that I so often can't help myself from speaking the truth even when it means I will pay the price socially. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just do it naturally. Hey, I think I'll get a shirt with that printed on it. :)
Transformative fire...

getreal

#148 Post by getreal » July 5th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Why am I such a fuckwit?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#149 Post by Dave B » July 5th, 2010, 10:13 pm

getreal wrote:Why am I such a fuckwit?
Not having a good day, getreal?

Don't be too hard on yourself, please.
:kiss:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#150 Post by getreal » July 5th, 2010, 10:43 pm

I seem to have been forgiven :D I can be a bossy cow sometimes -my family would argue that it's not just sometimes, though :D

Thanks, Dave.

"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#151 Post by Alan C. » July 5th, 2010, 10:53 pm

getreal
Why am I such a fuckwit?
You're not, having spent three, four, or more hours in your company in Aberdeen, I enjoyed both your conversation and your company, don't put yourself down girl!

On another note; I have applied for the "fuckwit ™" As a reference to religious nutjobs, so expect a letter from my solicitors :wink:

Cross posting but what the hell?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jaywhat

#152 Post by jaywhat » July 6th, 2010, 6:45 am

Looks as if if I want to talk to myself - or should I say write to myself I am going to have to get a pen and paper from somewhere. Shutup jaywhat curmudgeonly pillock.

Gottard

#153 Post by Gottard » July 6th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Alan C + Getreal,
need some help here:
fuckwit is not in dictionaries but I'm puzzled about what the etymology would be.
Fuck= screw and wit= mental ability;
Mixing up the two I should logically conclude: "obsessed with sexual intercourse"
But the meaning that Alan gave is "in low spirits"
Can you pls. unravel the problem :headbang:

getreal

#154 Post by getreal » July 6th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Alan (the fiver's in the post) :D

I always thought it meant a really, really stupid person-though I've never given it's entymology much thought. Ooo! spelling's going down the toilet tonight. Strange how one awful day can be followed by a nice one. With the same cast, too. People are wierd.

Dave B

#155 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2010, 9:22 pm

I always assumed it was one of those reversed thing, as in "fuckwit" = "one whose wits are fucked", using "fucked" in the sense as in SNAFU - "Situation Normal, All Fucked Up".
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#156 Post by jaywhat » July 7th, 2010, 6:48 am

jaywhat wrote:You know, jaywhat, that carrot and coriander soup of yours was gorgeous.
Yes I agree, jaywhat.
It is clearly good for the brain because it has given me the idea of a talking-to-myself thread.
I am not at all sure of that, jaywhat. It might put people off carrot soup - and you always talk to yourself anyway. Who needs a thread?

You know, jaywhat, you have not had carrot and coriander soup since July 2008 when you started this thread; and do you know, jaywhat, that you have been talking to yourself ever since with hardly anyone interfering and bringing in actual discussion and so on. Clearly there are some people out there who cannot talk to themselves but have to talk to other people. I have never heard anything so silly. How can you have a sensible conversation with another person? What do they think a forum is for? The original forum would have been full of intelligent people standing or sitting around the square and having a right good natter to themselves. No-one would be standing on a plinth declaiming to the crowd; making a political point or trying to give their opinion of things. What a strange idea.

jaywhat

#157 Post by jaywhat » July 7th, 2010, 6:53 am

I am reminded that we are going to Buxton this evening to the annual poetry event. I understand that the weather may not be so good today but you can't have everything. It will be good driving over the hills and along by the reservoirs to Glossop. At least I do not expect snow or ice. Do not even expect darkness and fog. Funny how the season affects one mood, but it does.

Ninny

#158 Post by Ninny » July 7th, 2010, 8:22 am

Foucault's pendulum in the Buxton Dome. If you talk quietly to yourself, somebody on the other side can hear you. (Actually, this effect is nothing to do with the pendulum, but it makes a useful central point for precise positioning for overhearing people talking about you - what does she think she looks like?)

jaywhat

#159 Post by jaywhat » October 28th, 2010, 5:07 pm

That Ninny is coming home on Saturday I am very pleased about. I know she will have got a lot out of the course - like she did last time. As I said to her a minute ago I have had my solitary course here at home - and sorted out quite few bits of wrtiing that I started ages ago. I've got a poem called 'clear left' about my mother's dangerous habit of saying that when in the passenger seat. When she drove she was bloody dangerous but now at 98 she is not even safe as a passenger. Some of the stuff I write with her in it I cannot show her. She told a friend of mine his father had died and that was 60 years ago and she would never understand why I am writing about it. Well she might - but there is other stuff in the poem that might not like - or it might not be totally true. You cannot win 'em all.

Gottard

#160 Post by Gottard » October 30th, 2010, 3:17 pm

:pointlaugh: Jaywhat, shall we read this poem one day?

Robin Martlew

#161 Post by Robin Martlew » October 31st, 2010, 8:51 pm

Is anyone listening
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
shan't answer then
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!