INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Science is vital

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Science is vital

#1 Post by Alan H » October 3rd, 2010, 3:27 pm

Goes without saying, really, but this view doesn't seem to be shared by the current Government.

For the future of science and for the future of the economy, I urge you to support this worthy cause:

Science is Vital
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Science is vital

#2 Post by Dave B » October 3rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Petition duly signed and I will email my MP (but so far he talks the straight party line so I hold little hope for him.)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#3 Post by jaywhat » October 3rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Done

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » October 3rd, 2010, 6:43 pm

Signed, although I've yet to see an on-line petition achieve anything. :cross:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » October 8th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Anybody going? Some great speakers lined up, I wish I could be there.
The Rally is Go! Tomorrow,

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » October 8th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Wish I could go as well - I miss not living half an hour from "town" for this sort of thing.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » October 8th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Alan C. wrote:Anybody going? Some great speakers lined up, I wish I could be there.
The Rally is Go! Tomorrow,
Possibly. I may be on a training course (resuscitation support and monitoring, since you asked!), but I won't find out till tomorrow morning if there is a place for me. If there isn't, I'll be at the rally. Have you seen Evan Harris' piece in the Guardian?

Open letter to George Osborne: Why it's vital to protect science funding

And Ben Golacre's blog post:

Nerds, rise up! Science cuts protest tomorrow
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » October 8th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Also:

Science: It beats living in caves by Dr Jennifer Rohn.
Alan Henness

Lorikeet

#9 Post by Lorikeet » October 8th, 2010, 10:24 pm

I've signed and e-mailed my MP. Been struggling to understand the more paper-y things Evan mentions. I managed to put my arguments mostly in economic terms - might as well speak their language I suppose. Wish I'd seen this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... -charities

I'm busy travelling around all next week and am not giving up my weekend to even more travelling, so won't be around tomorrow. But I'll be at the Parliament lobby on Tuesday. Anyone else?
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Nick

#10 Post by Nick » October 20th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Today, the Chancellor announced that:
Overall, average annual savings of 7.1% will be found from the Department for Business budget – the minimum it was asked to find.

Within those savings, however, the Secretary of State and I have decided to protect the science budget.

Britain is a world leader in scientific research. And that is vital to our future economic success.

That is why I am proposing that we do not cut the cash going to the science budget. It will be protected at £4.6 billion a year.

Building on the Wakeham Review of science spending, we have found that within the science budget significant savings of £324 million can be found through efficiency.

If these are implemented, then with this relatively protected settlement I am confident that our country’s scientific output can increase over the next four years.

We will also:

invest £220 million in the UK centre for Medical Research and Innovation at St Pancras;
fund the molecular biology lab in Cambridge;
the Animal Health Institute in Pilbright;
and the Diamond synchrotron in Oxford.
Research and technological innovation will also help us with one of the greatest scientific challenges of our times – climate change – and it will support new jobs in low-carbon industries.

So today, even in these straightened times, we commit public capital funding of up to £1 billion to one of the world’s first commercial scale carbon capture and storage demonstration projects
Not a bad result for science, I'd say.

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » October 20th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Better than I expected.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » October 20th, 2010, 6:45 pm

So, a cut in real terms, £324 million 'efficiency' savings from where we do not know and he expects scientific output to increase over the next four years. I think we need more details before 'celebrating' and a lot more details on the savings and how the scientific output is to be measured.
Alan Henness

Nick

#13 Post by Nick » October 20th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I didn't say it was perfect, Alan, and I don't know what the Wakeham Review said, but not bad, in the colloquial sense, in the present financial climate, is, I think, a fair assessment. We can all find vital things we'd like to spend money on, can't we?

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » October 20th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Nick wrote:We can all find vital things we'd like to spend money on, can't we?
Like Trident.
Alan Henness

Nick

#15 Post by Nick » October 20th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I didn't realise you were such a fan! :wink:

Unlike me. :D

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » October 20th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Ah Trident, the capability that will probably (I hope) never be used but we are told we must have.
If (as they tell us plebs) "It's just a deterrent".
Why not just pretend we have it and save £billions ?

(well no, we already do have it) why does it need to be replaced? Isn't the present system capable of destroying the whole planet and everything on it? I don't see any need for an upgrade.

grammar king

#17 Post by grammar king » October 21st, 2010, 12:13 am

Maybe they are just pretending we have it, how would we know?