INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Nick

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1441 Post by Nick » May 27th, 2010, 10:03 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Nice for her to have a chance to wear a crown for a change. Strangely, the fashionistas don't complain they've seen it before.....

I didn't see the Queen's Speech, but read about it in the paper. I'm pleased that the Tories have had some of their edges rubbed off, but the papers are still spoiling for a fight within the coalition. The next 5 years won't be pretty, but for once, there is no alternative. The most dangerous aspect of current economics is the possibility of a second banking crisis caused directly by European political ambitions.

If you had the qualifications and experience, in your dreams, what job would you like to do (or have done)?

jamesjones950

#1442 Post by jamesjones950 » May 27th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Postman! Early start, early finish, fresh air and exercise.

If you were emigrating, which would be your country of choice?
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Nick

#1443 Post by Nick » September 2nd, 2010, 7:56 pm

Not that I'm thinking of emigrating, but partly to bump this thread,if I were to leave the UK, I'd emigrate to San Francisco, to soak up the optimism. I'd miss the history of the Old Country though....

OK, maybe some of the newer guys and gals will have a crack at this...

What do you like, or what would you recommend to others, about the area you live in?

getreal

#1444 Post by getreal » September 3rd, 2010, 11:42 pm

Probably Arran.
but I don't think I qualify as new.

At the weekend do you prefer to go out somewhere or chill at home?
Attachments
Arran%20from%20Girvan%20Golf%20Course[1].jpg
Arran%20from%20Girvan%20Golf%20Course[1].jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#1445 Post by Nick » September 24th, 2010, 6:50 pm

What a fabulous view, getreal. The UK really does have some absolutely fabulous scenery doesn't it.

I like this thread, so I'll answer, if only to bump it up the list.

I'm going to say going out, as I'm going to a sleep-over house-warming in the Kent countryside this weekend. The host (whom I know through squash) has a number of ex-battery chickens in his garden, and gave me half a dozen 'home-made' eggs for my birthday, which pleased me enormously. There will be live music and a spit-roast lamb (yum yum) so I've bought a couple of chicken-shaped china egg-cups as a house-warming present.

Sunday, I'm going to stay with a friend on her boat in Brighton.

I'm looking forward to this weekend!

When you log into TH and see a sea of red before you, which forum would you normally go for first, and why? Is it because you value most the comradeship, the intellectual discussion or the quirkiness of TH? Or indeed something else?

(Newer posters particularly invited. Not that I don't care about the veterans, I'd just like to get to know the rest of you a little better... :) )

Dave B

#1446 Post by Dave B » September 24th, 2010, 7:49 pm

I have a go at the fun ones first.

Next come those serious ones that I have contributed to recently.

Then the rest in approximate order of interest, or just top to bottom.

How about the next person?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#1447 Post by Alan C. » October 3rd, 2010, 9:28 pm

I always start right at the top (reception) cos I think it's important to welcome newcomers sooner rather than later.

If money was no object what would you buy tomorrow and why?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia

#1448 Post by Fia » October 3rd, 2010, 10:12 pm

this place

It would probably cost as much again to sympathetically renovate with the lowest possible carbon footprint... but as money is no object I'd then use part of it to provide low cost communal accommodation for single people (desperately needed) and the rest for providing residential Humanist and ecological courses in such esoteric things as engendering thinking and survival skills for young people, respite courses for single parents and carers, eclectic weekends for thinkers, self-sufficiency courses, a base for some of the stuff the Cairngorms National Park do, a drop in young peoples place and a learning centre for alternative technologies.

Dream on Fia - all I really want to do is live near the sea again :-(

Are you in the right location for your heart? Feel free to elucidate....

jamesjones950

#1449 Post by jamesjones950 » October 5th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Yes, I'm in Harrogate, which is a beautiful place to live, in my living room, which is cosy, on this forum, which is relaxing and entertaining, and Bridget Jones is laid at my feet. (Hasten to add: Bridget is my cocker spaniel). All very heart-warming stuff.

sick humour time: Harrogate has an excellent hospital, should aforementioned heart require it.

What instrument would you like to be able to play, and why?

Nick

#1450 Post by Nick » October 15th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I've left it long enough for anyone else to answer, so I'll answer it myself. It would be the guitar. Nothing flash (think Joan Baez, almost inevitably :D ). Not only do I find it melodious, but also very moving and also (importantly) vaguely within the realms of possibility of being playable. It would be my Desert Island Discs luxury, provided it came with a teach-yourself book. :D

What would be your Desert Island Discs book?

jaywhat

#1451 Post by jaywhat » October 16th, 2010, 8:57 am

The full 'Collected Stories' of Lydia Davis, over 700 pages of short and very short stories which can leave you bemused, sad, angry or whatever. There is a crying need to read some of them again and a great incentive to put your own thoughts onto paper - assuming you get paper and pen as well.

If you can imagine yourself marooned on a desert island do you think you would immediately begin to settle down and make it as safe and comfortable as possible or would you be struggling to escape from day one.

Dave B

#1452 Post by Dave B » October 16th, 2010, 9:40 am

From the day I saw, "The Admirable Crichton", aged about ten, I knew that I would be able to cope with survival - everything was so obvious and logical! Innovation and improvisation have been "friends" all my life. Yeah, loneliness might be a snag, and not only when having to move a large lump of tree or something! Otherwise, providing life was possible on the island I would live in the best possible luxury.

Do you think your humanism might suffer in such a situation?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#1453 Post by jaywhat » October 17th, 2010, 9:21 am

No!

Would yours?

getreal

#1454 Post by getreal » October 17th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Absolutly not! But I do think I'd be desperatly lonely. Maybe I would be marooned with my dogs, and then it'd be OK.

If you were marooned on a desert island and were allowed to bring one thing (it needen't be practicle) you would need to ensure your happiness/sanity?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jamesjones950

#1455 Post by jamesjones950 » October 17th, 2010, 9:44 pm

It would be Stephen King's novel "Dreamcatcher", which I seem to be able to read over and over again Do not ask me "why?", because I have no idea. It just seems to have captured my imagination.

Can't help but ask the same question again.

Emma Woolgatherer

#1456 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » October 19th, 2010, 3:15 pm

My harmonica. The chromatic one that's languishing in a drawer somewhere, not touched for ten years. I'd have time to practise. After ten years on the island, I could be as good as Larry Adler was. When he was about nine.

What thing or things do you have in your possession that you wish you could get rid of but can't?

jaywhat

#1457 Post by jaywhat » October 22nd, 2010, 10:24 am

A coloured picture of my father on a large sort of antimacassar that was printed in Syria and several copies given to my mother who distributed around the family. I just do not like it.

What are you doing in the next few days that you really do not want to do?

getreal

#1458 Post by getreal » October 24th, 2010, 11:13 pm

It seems an odd thing to have printed, jaywhat!

Cleaning the house (I've hosting a tea party to raise some money for The Brooke They are a wonderful organisation)

How do you "celebrate" christmas?

I can't find a more suitable word than "celebrate", but you get my drift!

Gratuitous picture of donkey below.
Attachments
donkey.png
donkey.png (117.18 KiB) Viewed 1331 times

jaywhat

#1459 Post by jaywhat » October 25th, 2010, 5:55 am

There is one of my mum as well. I should add that my sister lives in Syria and her family do everything including printing

xmas? - nothing, no presents, no cards, nothing - people have got used to it now. (Took a few years).

Name three things that annoy you or anger you so much that you almost feel like doing something about it.

Dave B

#1460 Post by Dave B » October 25th, 2010, 9:37 am

People that stand and have conversations in shop doorways (especially shops), people who park blocking the pavement (did do something about this concerning a local church), people who think the whole street wants to share their choice of music. Grump, grump . . .

What is your idea of a holiday type or location to be avoided?
Me, 2015

thundril

#1461 Post by thundril » October 27th, 2010, 8:36 pm

I drove a lorry for IKEA for a while, and, having seen the inside of the place, I am flabbergasted that whole families go there for a Sunday outing! WTF???

If you could magically (sorry, fellow atheists but this is a fantasy question) if you could magically cause some little tiny change in people's attitudes or behaviour, what would you be tempted to change?