INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Tatchell on the the Pope

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Lifelinking

Tatchell on the the Pope

#1 Post by Lifelinking » September 13th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Just watched 'The Trouble with the Pope', Peter Tatchell's documentary.

As a woman being interviewed about abuse said on the programme, they should turn over every single Vatican sex abuse file to secular law enforcement authorities. Right on.

Compassionate, beautifully argued. Outstanding television.

I hope an awful lot of Roman Catholic people watched it.

He blogs about it here.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

jaywhat

Re: Tatchell on the the Pope

#2 Post by jaywhat » September 15th, 2010, 6:32 am

Recorded it to watch - comment later.

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » September 15th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I watched it last night, twas good till he spoke to that awful Papal apologist woman near the end.
When he mentioned homosexuality and asked her if she thought he was evil (more than once) the look on her face was priceless.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Lifelinking

#4 Post by Lifelinking » September 15th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Yeah, the woman in quesion actually appeared in a seperate news item this week about a group of media trained (dress nice, don't look straight in to the camera, don't answer difficult questions directly, stay on message, repeat your well practised sound bites as often as you can etc etc) softly spoken fluffy young catholics who have been taught to avoid actually answering questions about the harm caused by Catholic dogma. The same sort of media training they give to politicians. Iirc they are called Catholic Voices. They wheel them out to do media appearances and give a soft focused edge to the willfully ignorant prejudice and lies that the dogma of their church continues to legitimise, because they know their senior clergy consistently come across as mad characters out of a Father Ted episode.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

jaywhat

#5 Post by jaywhat » September 16th, 2010, 6:42 am

Watched it now and feel that there was much to learn about this pope (if you are interested).
What a bloody world and what do you do if your friend is RC ?
How could a catholic watch this programme and stay with it?

Lifelinking

Re: Tatchell on the Pope

#6 Post by Lifelinking » September 16th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Damian Thompson did a mean spirited and unreasonable piece about the Tatchell documentary in his Torygraph blog, which I just had to respond to.
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#7 Post by Alan C. » September 16th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Succinct and to the point.
Nice. :)

Lifelinking

#8 Post by Lifelinking » September 16th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Thanks Alan :)
William McIlvanney

ludite

#9 Post by ludite » September 17th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Just watched the trouble with the pope. It was a honest factual programme. It hit the nail on the head.The teachings of the catholic church cause untold suffering world wide.All the wriggling and comments by the church's media savvy spokespersons and politicians can not alter the simple facts. Lots of children mean lots of money is needed to care for those.Following catholic teaching on sex means large families. Poor poorly educated people who follow the dogma because the pope is infallible as a direct line to god so he must be right suffer.The churches answer is no sex. We need a bigger hammer

Lifelinking

#10 Post by Lifelinking » September 17th, 2010, 9:02 pm

William McIlvanney

Marian

#11 Post by Marian » September 17th, 2010, 10:14 pm

I wish I could see the original video. :( but from what I've read so far, Tatchell seems to be right on the money.
Transformative fire...

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » September 17th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Marian wrote:I wish I could see the original video. :( but from what I've read so far, Tatchell seems to be right on the money.
Try this link Marian (though not sure whether it will work in Canada) It should as channel 4 get their money from advertising and this contains adverts.
The Trouble with the Pope

Marian

#13 Post by Marian » September 18th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the effort, AlanC. Still blocked and when you press play it gives you a tantalizing one second of Tatchell smiling and then kicks you out. Just to be a tease. :)
Transformative fire...

Alan C.

#14 Post by Alan C. » September 18th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Marian wrote:Thanks for the effort, AlanC. Still blocked and when you press play it gives you a tantalizing one second of Tatchell smiling and then kicks you out. Just to be a tease. :)
Fingers crossed (kidding :smile: ) You should get it here after two or three adds.
Enjoy.

Marian

#15 Post by Marian » September 18th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Rats! Here's the message I get: This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Bastards! It's a papal conspiracy, yeah, that's what it is. :cross:
Transformative fire...

Fia

#16 Post by Fia » September 18th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Nothing else for it Marian, you'll just have to move lock, stock, bike and Curtis/s to the UK :laughter:

Mind you, I can't watch anything on iplayer or C4 currently as my internet connection "does not have enough bandwidth"... :cross:

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » September 18th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Marian wrote:Rats! Here's the message I get: This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Bastards! It's a papal conspiracy, yeah, that's what it is. :cross:
FFS I can't believe it Marian! The link is to a youtube video, is youtube being censored now in Canada?

jaywhat

#18 Post by jaywhat » September 19th, 2010, 9:27 am

Nice to see Tatchell in the crowd pictures Maria posted - also Terry Sanderson (of the NSS)

Marian

#19 Post by Marian » September 19th, 2010, 11:52 am

Fia wrote:Nothing else for it Marian, you'll just have to move lock, stock, bike and Curtis/s to the UK :laughter:
Very tempting... :wink:

Yeah, if you want more bandwidth here, you've got to upgrade the system and pay more from the Internet provider. That's how they getcha. Money grubbing so and so's.

AlanC,
No, they haven't censored youtube altogether, but it seems CH4 doesn't want the content to be seen elsewhere. Curious.
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » September 19th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Marian wrote:AlanC,
No, they haven't censored youtube altogether, but it seems CH4 doesn't want the content to be seen elsewhere. Curious.
There could easily be copyright issues with some programmes in different countries. Depends on who made the programme, what contracts were signed and who owns the copyright.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?