INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Chatter

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

Chatter

#1 Post by Dave B » July 26th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I have just found out that my little Toyota Aygo shopping trolley has a big brother, the Aygo Crazy.

This has a supercharged 1.8ltr MR2 engine. That's almost as big as the bloody car is!

Talk about size not counting. V-v-v-vroom! Nought to Tescos in twenty seconds! (Well, OK, a little longer 'cos the other people get in the way!)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gurdur

Re: Chatter

#2 Post by Gurdur » July 26th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Muscle-car for half-arses? Or muscle-car for bloody tiny medieval alleyways in the Royal Mile?

(j/k)

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » July 26th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Gurdur wrote:Muscle-car for half-arses? Or muscle-car for bloody tiny medieval alleyways in the Royal Mile?

(j/k)
Probably the former, but I would just like to play with one for a little while.

Actually it seems that it is only a concept car. With any luck it will not get on the road. As you imply, Gurdur, one probably really needs a brainectomy to be able to drive one all the time.

It was just a moment of madness . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » July 26th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Ooops! I seem to have strayed into unknown territory. The only bit of this I understand is
shopping trolley
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Gurdur

#5 Post by Gurdur » July 26th, 2010, 11:53 pm

getreal wrote:Ooops! I seem to have strayed into unknown territory. The only bit of this I understand is
shopping trolley
One of the proverbs that I have myself created is:

What the handgun is to the Americans, what the umbrella is to the Germans, so is the shopping trolley to the Australians:
a weapon of rage.

Lifelinking

#6 Post by Lifelinking » July 26th, 2010, 11:55 pm

meh. Two too many wheels...Image
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Gurdur

#7 Post by Gurdur » July 27th, 2010, 12:00 am

For Lifelinking:

Source: A giant motorbike powered by a Russian tank engine has been recognised as the heaviest in the world. ..... The four-and-a-half tonne machine .... is 17ft 4ins long and 7ft 6ins tall and the engine alone weighs 1.8 tonnes after the armour plating tank cover has been stripped off. ....

Mike

#8 Post by Mike » July 27th, 2010, 12:47 am

Dave B wrote: Image
I am currently in the market for a new car and would like something eco-friendly, but there is no way I am ever going to be able to get two Border Collies and a German Sheperd in the back of that thing.

Fia

#9 Post by Fia » July 27th, 2010, 11:32 am

I'm completely bemused as to why the picture comes from an Australian site called sexy :shrug:

Additionally, I wonder what the carbon footprint of that half tank/half bike is? And if it could corner at all... :smile:

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » July 27th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Gurdur wrote:
getreal wrote:Ooops! I seem to have strayed into unknown territory. The only bit of this I understand is
shopping trolley
One of the proverbs that I have myself created is:

What the handgun is to the Americans, what the umbrella is to the Germans, so is the shopping trolley to the Australians:
a weapon of rage.
I have been a victim of trolley rage!

I nudged some blokes trolley reaching for something and he seems to take offence to it. He followed me around the store bumping his trolley into me. I realised what had happened but my apology did not seem to help.

We spent another tens minutes or so with me playing hide and seek until his Mrs caught up with him and gave him an earful!
Me, 2015

getreal

#11 Post by getreal » July 27th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Are electric cars eco friendly? I ask because the subject came up the other day when we thought we spied one. None of us had any idea how far the technology had gone/if they wetre commercially available/if they were affordable.....
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » July 27th, 2010, 5:19 pm

getreal wrote:Are electric cars eco friendly? I ask because the subject came up the other day when we thought we spied one. None of us had any idea how far the technology had gone/if they wetre commercially available/if they were affordable.....
I think the jury is still out on this one, getreal.

Potentially, if charged from renewable sources, they are better for the environment. Charged from electricity from fossil fuel sources and it ain't so good. At the moment their range is limited and the more batteries they carry the less efficient they are. I would not like to try to get to Cape Wrath in one from Gloucester!

Part of the problem is the amount of energy one can carry per cubic foot (or measurement of your choice) and at the moment petrol wins out hands down on this. Next comes petrol/electric hybrids.

Electric cars are far more economical and efficient than hydrogen driven ones or those electric ones with "fuel cells". The extra energy needed to produce hydrogen for these is deducted from the overall efficiency of using simple batteries directly.

I am sure that, one day, all vehicles will be electric - assuming we still have enough of a civilisation left to actually be able to produce any kind of technology at all!

There are too many factors to consider to give an easy answer.
Me, 2015

Gurdur

#13 Post by Gurdur » July 27th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Fia wrote:I'm completely bemused as to why the picture comes from an Australian site called sexy :shrug:
Us Australians are desperate and pathetic. And odd.
Additionally, I wonder what the carbon footprint of that half tank/half bike is?
Best not to ask, really. Look, it's a Russian tank engine. Look, at least it probably won't leak oil everywhere like a Harley would, and it can do the snows of Siberia without problems. But carbon footprint? Ooooer, it's a Russian tank engine.
And if it could corner at all... :smile:
That question occured to me to, and the turning radius, as well as, how the hell do you keep your foot and leg from getting crushed when you stop?

For this kind of thing, the proverb was invented:
It's not the goal that matters, but the journey.