INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1401 Post by Maria Mac » August 19th, 2009, 10:45 am

Latest post of the previous page:

White Christmas because it's the only one I can think of.

Which subject at school did you hate most?

jaywhat

#1402 Post by jaywhat » August 19th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Probably Latin (taught by the Rev 'Titch' Taylor) or RK, as it was.

Same question?

Nick

#1403 Post by Nick » August 19th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Probably Latin (because I'd taken advantage of the laxity of a popular master (who sadly later shot himself) in previous years and was hence hopelessly lost) taught by Lt. Col. W H T Roberton. Aka "Tex", because one of his middle names was allegedly Texero. Whether that was true or not I don't know. His lessons were, however, made more bearable because of his tendency to talk instead about what a jolly good idea it was to join the CCF. (I joined the naval section and went sailing at the Navy's expense- I actually got paid!) That, and the fact that he frequently fell asleep during lessons. Looking back, it is tragic that both master and pupil were just trying to get past each lesson and I rather regret it. Youth is wasted on the young and I'd handle it so much better now. I didn't go to him for help, and he didn't appreciate the seeming impossibility of my position.

The situation was not improved when he was succeeded by a very short, rotund welshman, who wheezed heavily, and went by the name of Dai "Safecracker" Rees. Memorable phrase: "Come on lad, (wheeze) this can't be too difficult..." Alas, it always was.

Did any of your teachers have nicknames?

getreal

#1404 Post by getreal » August 19th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Yes, quite a few.
There was Popeye, the maths teacher with only one eye (kids are so cruel); Maxi, another maths teacher who in a previous life had clearly been a member of the SS; Stashy, the English teacher with slightly more than a hint of a mustache; The Creep, the rather overly-friendly art teacher (I was able to get my own back on him when he came into urology theatre many years later. I was the senior staff nurse there. Revenge is a dish best served cold and all that). There were more that these are all I can remember.

what is your favorite childhood memory?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#1405 Post by Alan C. » August 19th, 2009, 9:48 pm

what is your favorite childhood memory?
My mother promised me a picnic on the beach for my 8th birthday, it snowed but we still had the picnic, this was 7th June 1959 Whitehaven Cumbria.

What's your worst childhood memory?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#1406 Post by getreal » August 19th, 2009, 9:53 pm

What a wonderful memory, Alan.

I got into terrible trouble for putting teeth marks in the venetian blinds. The feeling of them bending when you bit into them was strangely satisfying.
I should not have bitten all the slats, though. That was a bit excessive.

How do yu like to spend christmas?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#1407 Post by Fia » August 19th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Ooh, you've almost made me want to try that, getreal :) Makes me wonder whatever made you do it in the first place...

...anyway, December 25th I like to work or volunteer. The date means nowt to me or my family, fancy dinner and pressies are a moveable feast. As a Home Carer, helping to deliver up to 4 daily visits 365 days a year, going into folk's homes so they can live their lives safely, comfortably and with dignity it's particularly special doing it then. It's the only day of the year i wear a sequin santa hat and flashing seasonal earrings. I may be the only person they see all day, or the means they are dressed up for a party. Sometimes heartbreaking, often poignant, but usually many laughs, it's a great day for feeling I've done something important, made a difference.

If getreal won't / can't tell us why she started chewing window dressings...

... What makes you feel you're making a difference?

Alan C.

#1408 Post by Alan C. » August 19th, 2009, 10:57 pm

In bed!
Unless it falls on the actual winter solstice,
Then I celebrate the coming of a new growing season, new challenges against the weather and the wildlife.
Mary and myself don't "do" Christmas in the traditonal sense.
Christmas day is when I sow my onion and leek seeds (under a sodium light of course) As we we have little to no daylight at that time of year

Do you (did you) tell your bairns about the tooth fairy, santa, etc?

Crossposted with Fia, but I,m buggered if I'm going to do all that two fingered typing again!
Fia
What makes you feel you're making a difference?
Sadly.....................Nothing.

If you could have one law put in place, what would it be?

Hestia

#1409 Post by Hestia » August 27th, 2009, 4:21 am

Only one law? But the U.S. has so many things I want to fix! Some of the top laws I'd want:
1) A law guaranteeing universal healthcare
2) A law recognizing same sex marriages
3) A law forbidding the teaching of religion in public schools.
And on top of it all, I'd like to see the ERA pass already.

Whew...now that I've got that off my chest...What book are you reading right now? Is it any good?

jaywhat

#1410 Post by jaywhat » August 27th, 2009, 6:26 am

Rebel Girls - Their fight for the vote. by Jill Liddington
It is about young suffragettes in Yorkshire and is an interesting read on the whole.

Name a book you have put down, deciding not to finish it.

Nick

#1411 Post by Nick » August 27th, 2009, 8:36 am

Middlemarch and Tristram Shandy. As they were A level set books, this wasn't the best idea....

I emerged badly scarred from that experience.

Do you have any recurring dreams?

Hippolyta

#1412 Post by Hippolyta » August 27th, 2009, 8:59 am

I don't have recurring dreams, no. But I'm sort of strange when it comes to dreams...I have lucid dreams...Once I am aware I am dreaming I can control myself in my dream state, wake myself at will, and if I wake from a dream I can go back to sleep again and continue it. I have no idea why, my brain is just kind of weird.

To the person below me: have you ever been able to control yourself in your dreams?

Hestia

#1413 Post by Hestia » September 6th, 2009, 6:42 pm

No. My dreams are very frustrating. There's always something work related that I have to do, yet I can't seem to accomplish it. No, I'm not neurotic at all. :)

Speaking of jobs, what do you like best about your present job? Would you change jobs if you could?

getreal

#1414 Post by getreal » September 6th, 2009, 9:32 pm

I don't work, I've retired early.

For the first year I kept thinking I'd go back to work and didn't feel settled, but now that I have realised that I can spend time doing all the things I never had the time, either to do at all, or to do properly.
As a very inquisitive (or, some would say, nosey) person I can now spend time reading and discussing things which interest me, in more depth.
I am also able to travel to see my daughter (who lives abroad--as I must have said many times) any time I choose.

I also have elderly parents and parents in law and I enjoy spending time with them.

Phew!

What/who makes you laugh?

I bit the slats because they were exactly at my hight and just seemed to cry out to be bitten. What would Freud make of that, I wonder :D

lewist

#1415 Post by lewist » November 19th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Gentle and clever wit makes me laugh. So much of what is passed as funny today is either stupid or cruel or both.

What would make you willingly get up at five am?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan C.

#1416 Post by Alan C. » November 19th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Or even 4.00 am.

Taking friends to catch the ferry which was cancelled the night before due to a storm.

Or during May and June, to work with plants.

What's the very best/worst thing about where you live?

Manuel

#1417 Post by Manuel » November 19th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Best: Being 10 minutes walk to the beach in one direction and 5 minutes to the countryside in the other. I feel very lucky for that.

Worst: Living on an island myself, it's the difficulty visiting other places/people not to mention the expense. I enjoy where I live in many ways, but sometimes I wish there was a bridge I could drive or cycle across.

If you had the day off tomorrow, what would you do?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#1418 Post by Maria Mac » November 19th, 2009, 8:33 pm

I'd probably write a blog post and unpack some books onto our new bookshelves. Anything to avoid doing housework.

How would you describe your usual diet?

Firebrand

#1419 Post by Firebrand » November 29th, 2009, 7:10 pm

healthy

what language do you wish you could speak?

getreal

#1420 Post by getreal » November 29th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Greek-but knowledge of any other language would be good as I'm a total loss with that.

If you could live in any centuary (past or future) which would you choose?

Fia

#1421 Post by Fia » November 29th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Any one where humanity actually managed not to have a war.... so the future I guess :)

I like the concept that we have an emotional pot, like the soup pots of old that still had more than homoeopathic quantities of the original soup, but to do with giving and taking.
How do you top yours up?