INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Why is there a Bible belt?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Moonbeam

Why is there a Bible belt?

#1 Post by Moonbeam » July 7th, 2007, 1:11 pm

It's great that a few Americans have joined. :wave:

I notice Dawn talks about Florida being in the Bible belt. As Florida is virtually a suburb of the UK (only joking - I just meant a lot Brits seem to treat it that way and hop on a plane to Miami for a week's sunshine as easily as going for a short bus ride and I know loads of Brits that have bought houses there) I never thought of it being part of the Bible belt. Excuse my ignorants Which states are in the Bible belt, how is the bible belt different and what are the reasons for this?

(This isn't just for Americans, btw.)

Never

#2 Post by Never » July 7th, 2007, 2:36 pm

I'm no expert on the topic - having always lived in the northern part of the US myself, but I'll give it a try. I know I've always thought of The Bible Belt as basically "The South". IOW, south of the Mason-Dixon line, that which would have been the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Looking it up on Wikipedia it looks like it stretches a bit furthur west than I realized and Florida has been lopped off midway - which makes sense because parts of Florida have become mostly "snowbirds" (retired folks from the north who fly south to live during the winter).

The Wiki link if you want to see it

Talking to people online it seems that religion is much more pervasive there.

Titanium Wheels

#3 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 7th, 2007, 3:07 pm

isn't it the Bible belt that holds George W up? I mean without their' support' he wouldn't be the the White Houe woud he?
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Never

#4 Post by Never » July 7th, 2007, 3:11 pm

wheels5894 wrote:isn't it the Bible belt that holds George W up? I mean without their' support' he wouldn't be the the White Houe woud he?
I think you have another good definition there Wheels. But I have a feeling the faithful would not want to know what Dubya does with that belt when they're not paying attention (all too often).

Dawn

#5 Post by Dawn » July 7th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Actually I am lucky to be in Florida now. We have lived here before and I just moved back about 2 months ago. It is much better than the rest of the southern US as far as religion goes. I grew up in Georgia and have lived in North Carolina and most recently Mississippi. Florida is very different. It has much more of a mix with people moving in from all over. I feel MUCH better being here than I did in the more insular states of the south.

In the other states I lived in, people would often ask first thing "Where do you go to church" as part of the introduction. I don't get that question here.
Dawn

Dawn

#6 Post by Dawn » July 7th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Also, I live just north of Tampa so I am kind of midway in Florida. I am probably still in the Bible belt, but close to the cut off.
Dawn

Master Taran

#7 Post by Master Taran » July 7th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Post subject: Why is there a Bible belt?
I guess it's better than calling it bible suspenders? :grin: