INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

L.H.C.

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Oxfordrocks

L.H.C.

#1 Post by Oxfordrocks » September 8th, 2008, 9:56 am

The Large Hadron Collider
is activated on Wednesday (10th Sept.)

It should be switched on between 09:00 and 10:00 CEST. (08:00-09:00 BST)
Live webcam of the event can be found here....http://webcast.cern.ch/

or try here....http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=40120

So if you are having breakfast on Wednesday morning and a black-hole suddenly appears and sucks you in......don't be surprised! :laughter:
hello

Fia

Re: L.H.C.

#2 Post by Fia » September 8th, 2008, 12:59 pm

And R4 will be reporting too http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7547118.stm

Although I don't completely grasp the physics I understand enough to know it's very exciting stuff...

tubataxidriver

#3 Post by tubataxidriver » September 9th, 2008, 7:07 pm

We're doomed ! All doomed !!!!

Fia

#4 Post by Fia » September 9th, 2008, 10:23 pm

:pointlaugh:

My daughter's teacher didn't hand out homework today on the premise that there may be no bus, school or planet...

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » September 9th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Fia wrote: :pointlaugh:

My daughter's teacher didn't hand out homework today on the premise that there may be no bus, school or planet...
:pointlaugh:
It only gets switched on tomorrow, it will take a month to "warm up" before they start "colliding" particles.
So we should manage the TH get together before it all goes pear shaped :smile:
Pity about Xmas though :boohoo:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » September 9th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Alan C. wrote:So we should manage the TH get together before it all goes pear shaped :smile:
Thank God for that!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fia

#7 Post by Fia » September 10th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Alan C. wrote:It only gets switched on tomorrow, it will take a month to "warm up" before they start "colliding" particles.
Aye, the harbingers of doom show a marked lack of scientific understanding. But then, what's new? :D

tubataxidriver

#8 Post by tubataxidriver » September 10th, 2008, 1:29 pm

It was interesting to hear the BBC Today Programme taken in by the spin on this, reporting live from the control room to see them simply throw the switch to turn on the beam, and not much more. It was the dampest scientific squib I have yet come across - far more tame than a rocket launch or even an eclipse.

It will clearly take months or years for them to get to the stage of conducting high energy collisions, which might have the worrying effects people have been talking about.

I wonder where the first reports of potential doom came from?? I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the CERN public relations machine itself. Altogether this has been a PR success for them so far, even though nothing at all has really happened yet.

Do I think that anything nasty will happen eventually? Certainly not.

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » September 10th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Search youtube for gorilla199 (I can't do this from work, so I can't give you the link) and take a look at his video on the LHC [---][/---] I think he thinks he is being serious!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#10 Post by Nick » September 11th, 2008, 9:44 am

What a crackpot gorilla199 is! :laughter:

On a different note, if particles are being whizzed round at near speed of light in a clockwise direction, and meet particles being whizzed at near speed of light in an anti-clockwise direction, how is it that their speed, relative to each other, is still less than the speed of light? :puzzled:

I did hear an explanation, to do with relativity, but felt my brain beginning to fry....

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » September 11th, 2008, 10:44 am

Nick wrote:On a different note, if particles are being whizzed round at near speed of light in a clockwise direction, and meet particles being whizzed at near speed of light in an anti-clockwise direction, how is it that their speed, relative to each other, is still less than the speed of light? :puzzled:

I did hear an explanation, to do with relativity, but felt my brain beginning to fry....
Yes, Nick. It is to do with relativity. It's far too complicated for me to explain to you...

[/patronise mode]
Alan Henness

grammar king

#12 Post by grammar king » September 20th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Apparently there's been some kind of electrical fault which'll put it back a couple of months.