INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Mysterious Government

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
peterangus

Mysterious Government

#1 Post by peterangus » September 6th, 2008, 11:14 am

"........the mysterious bully power that religions hold over government". [Polly Toynbee]

"It is baffling as to why this Government is so affraid of the churches......" [Terry Sanderson]

These are quotes from two [no doubt] well-informed people.

It seems to me that the comments should apply to Parliament as a whole, not just to the government.
Peter Angus

tubataxidriver

Re: Mysterious Government

#2 Post by tubataxidriver » September 6th, 2008, 12:49 pm

I think they mean government in general, and all its various institutions, at national, regional and local level, and to individuals, groups and the collective within it.

gcb01

#3 Post by gcb01 » September 6th, 2008, 2:43 pm

There was an article in the guardian recently on how Millibland would be britain's first atheist PM if he managed to wrestle the job from broon, or certainly britain's first openly atheist PM. I recall reading that the late Robin Cook was an atheist but kept it quiet for fear of jeopardising his position with the electorate.

There is still far too much not respect but genuflecting about religion in the media which perhaps scares politicians but with so much religion now held in low esteem because of the extremist/nutcase elements I don't think that it would give a politician a problem.
Regards

Campbell

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » September 9th, 2008, 10:22 pm

gcb01
but with so much religion now held in low esteem because of the extremist/nutcase elements I don't think that it would give a politician a problem.
I don't either, but the politicians do seem to think it would, or else why would they continue to bend over backwards to appease the Bishops and Cardinals? At the expence of the vast majority of the population.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

peterangus

#5 Post by peterangus » September 19th, 2008, 11:51 pm

If electability were the clear overriding reason for paliamentarians to submit to religious pressure, then Polly Toynbee would not be mystified, and Terry Sanderson would not be baffled.

There could be other reasons, such as:

* Individual MPs may have not made the intellectual effort to discover their own genuine beliefs.

* They may fear the effect on family and friends of declaring disbelief [just the same as for any citizen].

* They may fear the effect on their political careers of openly conflicting with party leaders, or of causing party splits.

* They may wish to shirk the task of constitutional reform.

* The honours system does not encourage non-conformity.
Peter Angus

SkiCarver

#6 Post by SkiCarver » September 20th, 2008, 12:38 am

gcb01 wrote:There was an article in the guardian recently on how Millibland would be britain's first atheist PM if he managed to wrestle the job from broon, or certainly britain's first openly atheist PM. I recall reading that the late Robin Cook was an atheist but kept it quiet for fear of jeopardising his position with the electorate.

There is still far too much not respect but genuflecting about religion in the media which perhaps scares politicians but with so much religion now held in low esteem because of the extremist/nutcase elements I don't think that it would give a politician a problem.
Unfortunately milliband is an empty shirt. The labour leadership has always done the 'weak leader' thing of surrounding themselves with yes-men. those in the labour party who have 'gravitas' and ability have been systematically kept away from positions of power.

As much as I would like to see an atheist PM, it would need to be someone who could actually do the job well.
Atheist by choice, dyslexic by the grace of dog.