INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#1041 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 11:49 am

Latest post of the previous page:

coffee wrote:Boris Johnson urges Theresa May to ditch Irish backstop in plan for 'SuperCanada' Brexit deal: Brexit News for Friday 28th September

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... september/
Will Buffoon Boris' Botched Brexit plan give us exactly the same benefits as we currently have, coffee?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#1042 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 1:28 pm

New video by Irish TV RTÉ explains Brexit to help Brexiteers like Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Davis understand it: https://twitter.com/news2dayRTE/status/ ... 0253896704
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#1043 Post by coffee » September 28th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Migration Watch UK
‏Verified account
@MigrationWatch

Over 80% of population growth between 2001 and 2016 was due to the arrival of migrants & their subsequent UK-born children. So immigration has added roughly one million to our population every three years. Full Fact finds our research 'broadly correct

https://twitter.com/MigrationWatch/stat ... 2956668928

Alan H

#1044 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 5:28 pm

coffee wrote:Migration Watch UK
‏Verified account
@MigrationWatch

Over 80% of population growth between 2001 and 2016 was due to the arrival of migrants & their subsequent UK-born children. So immigration has added roughly one million to our population every three years. Full Fact finds our research 'broadly correct

https://twitter.com/MigrationWatch/stat ... 2956668928
And here's the Full Fact article: https://fullfact.org/immigration/popula ... migration/

But, coffee, so what? Why did you feel the need to regale us with that?
Alan Henness

Justme

#1045 Post by Justme » September 28th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Man, I'm not really into this but I've always thought that there needs to be a counter to the power of the American economy and I praised the EU when it came into being for that reason.
I apologize profusely for not being more informed on this, but I hope in my heart of hearts that everything turns out for best for everyone. I am not a fan for change, in fact it scares the hell out of me, but I know it's the final results that matter. I hope the results of Brexit are prosperity.
Hate, the offspring of fear cannot exist where understanding reigns supreme

Alan H

#1046 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Justme wrote:I hope the results of Brexit are prosperity.
It won't be. Even the Government's own best estimates say this will - even in the best possible scenario - a complete disaster for everyone* in the UK.

* Everyone who isn't already rich and has been able to move themselves or their assets/investments abroad, that is.
Alan Henness

Justme

#1047 Post by Justme » September 28th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Alan H wrote:
It won't be. Even the Government's own best estimates say this will - even in the best possible scenario - a complete disaster for everyone* in the UK.

* Everyone who isn't already rich and has been able to move themselves or their assets/investments abroad, that is.
If a referendum began Brexit, couldn't another end it? I mean wasn't it a politician that brought the idea for a referendum foreword. If the government knows this will be damaging, why wouldn't they bring another foreword now that people have had the time to think about it?

Alan H

#1048 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Justme wrote:
Alan H wrote:

If a referendum began Brexit, couldn't another end it? I mean wasn't it a politician that brought the idea for a referendum foreword. If the government knows this will be damaging, why wouldn't they bring another foreword now that people have had the time to think about it?
Brexit is a right-wing project, by the right-wing and for the right-wing. The Tories want it. They do not like the idea of another referendum because, having fought tooth and nail to strangle and neuter Parliament, they know the danger of letting the people speak - their little coup might be stopped.
Alan Henness

Justme

#1049 Post by Justme » September 28th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Alan H wrote:
Justme wrote:
Alan H wrote:It won't be. Even the Government's own best estimates say this will - even in the best possible scenario - a complete disaster for everyone* in the UK.

Brexit is a right-wing project, by the right-wing and for the right-wing. The Tories want it. They do not like the idea of another referendum because, having fought tooth and nail to strangle and neuter Parliament, they know the danger of letting the people speak - their little coup might be stopped.
I'm not left or right, but it seems like there has been a shift to the right in several Western countries. I know America has tipped far to the right and people are going insane over here.

I don't know about over there, but fear, I think has been the catalyst for what is happening over here. Do you think Brexit came about because of fear?

Alan H

#1050 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Justme wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Justme wrote:
I'm not left or right, but it seems like there has been a shift to the right in several Western countries. I know America has tipped far to the right and people are going insane over here.

I don't know about over there, but fear, I think has been the catalyst for what is happening over here. Do you think Brexit came about because of fear?
The referendum happened because Cameron though it was a good way to finally, once and for all end the internecine war that had been going on in his party for 40 years. He miscalculated - plus there was the downright lies and illegality of the Leave campaign, the lies of the Daily Mail and Murdoch. Now we're all suffering from his mistake. Racists and xenophobes were given free reign to vent their feelings and prejudices; there was a backlash against many years of unnecessary and crippling Tory prosperity... A perfect storm that we still trying to avoid before it becomes a full-scale tornado that wreaks havoc on our country.
Alan Henness

Justme

#1051 Post by Justme » September 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Alan H wrote:
Justme wrote:
Alan H wrote:Brexit is a right-wing project, by the right-wing and for the right-wing. The Tories want it. They do not like the idea of another referendum because, having fought tooth and nail to strangle and neuter Parliament, they know the danger of letting the people speak - their little coup might be stopped.

The referendum happened because Cameron though it was a good way to finally, once and for all end the internecine war that had been going on in his party for 40 years. He miscalculated - plus there was the downright lies and illegality of the Leave campaign, the lies of the Daily Mail and Murdoch. Now we're all suffering from his mistake. Racists and xenophobes were given free reign to vent their feelings and prejudices; there was a backlash against many years of unnecessary and crippling Tory prosperity... A perfect storm that we still trying to avoid before it becomes a full-scale tornado that wreaks havoc on our country.
I remember something about that. It was hard to dig through the partisan news agencies over here to get actual, factual news from over there. All I remember is that Cameron left office and another PM was voted in to sort this out. What a time to take office? I don't think I envy that person at all.

As for the right wing, you know what drives me crazy is the fact that conservatives cling to that which they are familiar with and it is quite possible that the ideals they cling to was initially thought of by liberals. I just wonder if they were around when the ideals they favor were first proposed, would they stand against them, as well.

The trouble with xenophobes are that in the past they would be against some of the people that agrees with them today, when those people weren't quote/unquote acceptable. If you look at it, in the past they, themselves might have been on the receiving end of what they are firing at others.

I know about this Murdock through Fox News, over here. I guess he is one of the movers and shakers over there. We get sensationalism and contriver over here. Is he doing the same over there?

Alan H

#1052 Post by Alan H » September 30th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Hey! Coffee! You might like this: VIDEO: WHY BREXIT MEANS CATASTROPHE
Alan Henness

coffee

#1053 Post by coffee » October 1st, 2018, 9:18 am

Conference goers queued in their hundreds to get into last night’s BrexitCentral rally: Brexit News for Monday 1st October

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Conference goers queued in their hundreds to get into last night’s BrexitCentral rally

I do believe in Brexit, insists May – but she won’t rule out more compromises

Jeremy Hunt compares the EU to the USSR and accuses the bloc of holding the UK 'prisoner'

EU may leave the UK with 'no choice' but a no-deal Brexit, says Dominic Raab

Iain Duncan Smith: ‘EU migrants should have to wait five years before they can claim benefits

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... t-october/

animist

#1054 Post by animist » October 1st, 2018, 9:57 am

coffee wrote:Conference goers queued in their hundreds to get into last night’s BrexitCentral rally: Brexit News for Monday 1st October

so Rees-Mogg says Britain can refuse to pay the exit bill if there is no satisfactory trade deal? But the exit fee was agreed as part of the withdrawal process not the future relationship, as this piece from the Institute of Government shows: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... vorce-bill

"Could we walk away without paying?

The financial deal is an integral part of the withdrawal settlement that also includes the agreement on transition, so reneging on the financial deal would mean leaving the EU with no transition arrangements in place. Future UK compliance will be overseen by the governance arrangements agreed as part of the withdrawal treaty.

If negotiations broke down later this year, and the UK refused to pay, the EU might seek redress through the International Court of Justice or the Permanent Court of Arbitration, both located in The Hague. The result of such a court case would be hard to predict."

coffee

#1055 Post by coffee » October 2nd, 2018, 9:20 am

Theresa May could agree further trade compromise to break deadlock: Brexit News for Tuesday 2 October

The Times suggests Theresa May could agree further compromises on trade to break the Brexit deadlock

May announces a new post-Brexit immigration system, treating EU citizens the same as those from across the globe

Philip Hammond says a ‘SuperCanada’ Brexit deal is ‘not on offer’ from the EU

Chancellor wrongly claims the UK would erect a hard Irish border in the event of a no-deal Brexit

Boris Johnson to address the conference fringe today

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... 2-october/

===============================

'EU is a religion for Remainers!' MP says Brexit is like denying Remainers of their GOD

BREXITEER Desmond Swayne claimed the European Union is a “religion” for many Remainers and insisted Brexit is like “denying” the europhiles of their god.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10252 ... conference

========================================

Alan H

#1056 Post by Alan H » October 2nd, 2018, 10:37 am

So much large and garishly-coloured - and duplicated - text isn't really necessary, is it coffee? It's as if you think Brexiteers can win the argument by simply shouting louder.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1057 Post by Alan H » October 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am

Today's briefing from People's Vote:
Hidden amidst the inflammatory rhetoric comparing the EU to the Soviet Union and tough language that the “ball is in their court”, is the government about to make its biggest Brexit u-turn yet: offering to stay in the customs union for potentially a very long time?

Theresa May is going to do exactly that, according to The Times. She will accept that the UK will have the same tariffs as the EU and be bound by its trade policy until a “mutually acceptable technological solution to the Irish border issue was found”. The paper says: “Britain would also accept demands that goods entering Northern Ireland from Britain must meet European standards, with the potential for checks in the Irish Sea.”

The prime minister will not be happy that this story has been published in the midst of the Tory conference when she is trying to look tough with her party faithful to head off a potential leadership challenge from Boris Johnson. That’s presumably also why she is ramping up the rhetoric about controlling migration (see below).

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march?e=7258668eab9c2d9ccad238fc304d70d7&utm_source=in&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02_oct_2018&n=8

But back in the real world, May knows she has to make more concessions to the EU if she wants a deal. Staying in the customs union for as long as the eye can see would be a big one. And it has the merit of being viable - unlike the prime minister’s nightmarishly bureaucratic plan to separate goods coming into the UK into those that are going to stay here and those which will end up in the EU, charge different tariffs for them and track them electronically to make sure UK-destined goods don’t end up accidentally in the EU.

The government could still pay lip-service to the idea that some fancy technological solution could be developed. But with no time limit on finding such a solution and the acceptance that the EU would have to be happy with any new technology, departure from customs union purgatory would be the stuff of never-never land.

A customs union u-turn would help solve the Irish border issue, but it wouldn’t be enough. That’s why May is also going to agree that goods entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain must meet EU standards and that there can be checks in the Irish Sea to ensure they do, according to The Times. Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab confirmed last night that the government was looking into how regulatory checks might work.

HAVE YOU SIGNED THE PETITION FOR A PEOPLE'S VOTE?

Quite how the prime minister hopes to square such a concession with her rhetoric about not accepting anything that would divide “our precious union” isn’t clear. One possibility is that she still hopes that the EU will agree some variation of her friendless Chequers proposal, under which the whole UK would follow EU rules on goods. In that case, there would be no need for an Irish Sea border.

But if the EU sticks to its insistence that we can’t have free movement of goods without free movement of people and services, there’s another possibility: that the government agrees an indefinite customs union, an Irish Sea border and agrees a conventional free trade deal between Great Britain and the EU. This would, of course, damage our economy (because it would do nothing to protect our world-beating services industries) and divide the United Kingdom. But maybe that’s what the government will be driven to. Is this what Raab meant when he told The Sun that the government was prepared to consider “alternative proposals” to Chequers?

Whichever way one looks at it, a u-turn on the lines of what The Times is reporting would make a mockery of the government’s Brexit policy.
Tweet of the day

Conservatives for a People’s Vote present their case to a packed room. More and more Conservatives are coming out in support for a People's Vote.

https://www.open-britain.co.uk/r?u=YqgukYA3Mrlri-dqG7I8TjS61sdbRC4l6V0TeSYsq-34eb_jPqgJciPtQHMgFZIWzoNuSJ1uFkDcNOUhh8EfXw&e=7258668eab9c2d9ccad238fc304d70d7&utm_source=in&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02_oct_2018&n=13

Migration smokescreen

Theresa May and Sajid Javid are tag-teaming an announcement on the government’s post-Brexit migration policy today. The home secretary has spoken to the Daily Mail and will lay out the plans in a conference speech at noon, while the prime minister hits the airwaves this morning.

Despite the big media treatment, it’s essentially the policies in last month’s Migration Advisory Committee report, which Cabinet has agreed to adopt: end EU free movement, prioritise skilled workers. Is the government throwing out red meat on migration in an attempt to drown out Boris Johnson’s conference appearance at 1pm?

In any case, there are still lots of loose ends to the government’s migration vision. Will there be a cap on numbers? May’s limit of less than 100,000 was conspicuously absent this morning. Low-skilled workers are needed in many sectors too - but there’s scant information on how they can enter the country. Meanwhile, immigration minister Caroline Nokes told Bloomberg that deals on migration could be part of future trade agreements the UK pursues after Brexit - including, presumably, with the EU itself. On that basis, everything remains up in the air.
Video of the day

WATCH: UK Operations director Nick Hart says that “People need to make the decision themselves based on the full facts which is not what we had at the start of the referendum.” If you agree sign up HERE.

https://www.open-britain.co.uk/r?u=YqgukYA3Mrlri-dqG7I8TgohcYf1WsLzywyytcE6ArlyH-LcibDyJLRrcOupM42ucCenQdHjjy0JDZZxJTqCgQ&e=7258668eab9c2d9ccad238fc304d70d7&utm_source=in&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02_oct_2018&n=20

Please share on Facebook and Twitter.

Conference giveaways are fantasies - Brexit has cost us

So far this Conservative conference, Dominic Raab has pledged to slash corporation tax to 10% and cut income tax if we crash out of the EU with no deal, while chancellor Philip Hammond has promised a “deal dividend” will boost economic growth if Theresa May actually manages to reach an agreement with the EU. This is all fantasy.

Brexit is already costing the public purse £500m a week, according to the Centre for European Reform think tank - and Brexit hasn’t even happened. If economic growth and investment hadn’t been depressed, the budget deficit would now be just 0.1% of GDP and austerity would be over. We could already be cutting taxes and pushing up spending on priorities such as the NHS, rather than merely promising them for the future with money we won’t have.
Quote of the day

“In my opinion and from the outside, the only way Britain is to reach a reconciliation and end these deep divisions through society is if it holds a referendum in which no one can say, after two years of deep discussion, they did not know the consequences of Brexit. Very few knew the full consequences of Brexit after the first referendum.”

Norbert Röttgen, foreign affairs committee chairman in the German parliament
Who's Marching?

WATCH: Sally is marching on October 20th because young women will be hit hardest by Brexit. Sign up to join the march HERE.

https://www.open-britain.co.uk/r?u=YqgukYA3Mrlri-dqG7I8Tl9nYkAywFsncf5Ppo34xRA-DyNw17LYHWdJLHtnY_olphhx2tfFNZoXLl5EfjWCFw&e=7258668eab9c2d9ccad238fc304d70d7&utm_source=in&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02_oct_2018&n=29

Please share on Facebook and Twitter.
More Brexit news…

Guardian: Referendum only way to heal Brexit divisions, says top German politician (Guardian)

Times: Gavin Williamson threatens to block EU satellite bases from British territories (Times £)

BBC: Ruth Davidson calls for 'practical and pragmatic' Brexit(BBC)

We would work with Prime Minister Boris Johnson, says DUP leader, as she praises his 'positive' Brexit vision (Telegraph)
Top Brexit commenthttps://www.open-britain.co.uk/r?u=JVrTuh89eqOCis53dYaEcM1DMZA7h9i4MMbCM8IqjoYVaso6UlhHBpi1R_RhEcYH9YV2Thp7p5mQuAKno4au9gUl02Zbm5zdoZ2Wciw1wPBos4n_iqThK9W-ZlxMAsVA2bxJeVtCfCcZOeAVhmydp1sBGvg8CZ5sOcp5kJL4e30&e=7258668eab9c2d9ccad238fc304d70d7&utm_source=in&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02_oct_2018&n=36

Nick Kent: Government rattled as People’s Vote fervour seizes fringe (InFacts)

Polly Toynbee: This is the speech Theresa May should have the courage to give (Guardian)

Oliver Kamm: Likening the EU to the Soviets is crass and inflammatory (Times £)
Looking forward...

Today, Tuesday 2nd October
- Parliament in recess for conference season
- Conservative Party Autumn Conference (Birmingham)
from 10.00 Conservative conference speeches including Sajid Javid
13:00 Boris Johnson's Conservative conference fringe speech

Tomorrow, Wednesday 3rd October
- Parliament in recess for conference season
- Conservative Party autumn conference (Birmingham)
from 10.00 Theresa May's Conservative conference speech
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1058 Post by Alan H » October 2nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Hey! Coffee! Have you watched this? Is he wrong?

Alan Henness

coffee

#1059 Post by coffee » October 3rd, 2018, 10:46 am

Theresa May to insist the best days are yet to come for Brexit Britain in conference speech today: Brexit News for Wednedsay 3rd October

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Theresa May to insist the best days are yet to come for Brexit Britain in conference speech today

An intense week of frantic Brexit diplomacy will follow the conference

Boris Johnson repeats his call for the Government to 'chuck Chequers'

Arlene Foster says the DUP 'won't accept' post-Brexit Irish Sea regulatory check

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... d-october/

================================

Gerard Batten MEP
‏Verified account

@GerardBattenMEP

We were lied to in 1972, we have been lied to ever since, and the Tory Govnt is lying to us now. Mrs May intends to sign a Withdrawal Agreement whereby we leave in name but not in reality. We will be told it’s a “triumph”. It will be a betrayal.

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/sta ... 5905947652

==================================

Alan H

#1060 Post by Alan H » October 3rd, 2018, 11:39 am

:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :hilarity: :laughter:

...best days... yet to come... :hilarity: :pointlaugh: :laughter:

That really is funny, isn't it, coffee?
Alan Henness

coffee

#1061 Post by coffee » October 3rd, 2018, 5:24 pm

Michael Heaver

Verified account

@Michael_Heaver

There will always be a housing crisis when net migration is running at 250,000+ each year.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Heaver/stat ... 9620626432

=============================================