INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Refugees from the MN Feminist Boards

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
NatashaGurdin

Refugees from the MN Feminist Boards

#1 Post by NatashaGurdin » May 6th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Hi to anyone who is out there

I just joined today and thought that it might be an idea to start a topic for those of us who are dissatisfied with the current moderation on the MN feminist boards so that we can link up.

Admin have suggested putting a topic in this section first as a starting point so here we are! :wink:

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Refugees from the MN Feminist Boards

#2 Post by Maria Mac » May 6th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Hi Natasha

What's happening on Mumsnet? Is it the case that many posts are being deleted? Or is this just a claim made by trans activists?

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » May 6th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Hi Natahsa! :welcome:

One thing that's not clear to me is just how many posts/threads have been deleted on Mumsnet. I'm sure there will have been some deletions but I suspect the TRAs will be putting more than a bot of spin on it.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

NatashaGurdin

#4 Post by NatashaGurdin » May 6th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Not quite sure what is happening on MN itself but they do seem to be being a bit heavy handed on the moderation of the feminist boards and deleting posters who have talked about stuff that is already in the public arena, also there is that Twitter profile who have been screenshotting and reporting posts they deem 'transphobic' and MNHQ seem to be pandering to them.

As you saw on Twitter Maria there is quite a lot of anger about it.

Thank you for the 'welcome emoji' Alan :wink: I think they may be putting a spin on it but I don't think anyone has had a moment to sit and add up/cross reference the posts they claim to have got deleted yet so I suppose someone could do that to try and work out the scale of the problem?

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » May 6th, 2018, 7:34 pm

NatashaGurdin wrote:I think they may be putting a spin on it but I don't think anyone has had a moment to sit and add up/cross reference the posts they claim to have got deleted yet so I suppose someone could do that to try and work out the scale of the problem?
That could be quite difficult to do, I'd have thought. Any idea how many different threads there were?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

NatashaGurdin

#6 Post by NatashaGurdin » May 6th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Yes I was thinking that it would be difficult! I suppose if posters who have been deleted speak up that might be a start? I'm thinking there are probably a handful of threads perhaps 4 - 6 in Feminism Chat but I may be wrong and there could be more.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » May 7th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Exclusive: The government is enabling abuse by not reforming gender recognition, groups tell new Minister

All the usual stuff you'd expect.
The gap between the Government announcing the consultation and the subsequent delays have allowed fear and misinformation to fester, particularly amongst those who seek to denigrate and devalue the very existence of trans people.

The longer this delay goes on, the longer abusive invective is allowed to continue unchallenged by a government who rightly pride themselves on robustly speaking up for its minority citizens.
We are under no illusions that the consultation process will be marred by people conflating separate issues and legislation, and/or using it as a springboard to further incite hatred. We remain, however, quietly confident in dignity winning out and would urge you to carefully weigh this small risk against the immense gains.
Alan Henness