INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Henny Penny

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#941 Post by animist » May 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

Latest post of the previous page:

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?
no, it's not a recognised cut of meat at all - just a joint in the biological sense
not much of a help, but the clue should probably be: Hen-Nik-Ken Penniken. What do you call cooking in oil? On the vegetable aspect, the plant, though apparently poisonous, has been used as girl's name which, apart from the letter "y" at the end, sounds like a boy's name, which itself featured in the title of a Monty Python film

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#942 Post by animist » May 15th, 2017, 9:31 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote: deduction seduction.
Seductive deductive, but who cares that "sexy" was an adjective :laughter:
but "logic" was a noun - who cares, as you say? Great sparring with you, TT :D

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#943 Post by Tetenterre » May 15th, 2017, 11:06 am

Ah. Fry a knee briony?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#944 Post by Tetenterre » May 15th, 2017, 11:06 am

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote: deduction seduction.
Seductive deductive, but who cares that "sexy" was an adjective :laughter:
but "logic" was a noun - who cares, as you say? Great sparring with you, TT :D
:laughter:
Touché
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#945 Post by animist » May 15th, 2017, 11:38 am

Tetenterre wrote:Ah. Fry a knee briony?
brill, your go! :smile:

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#946 Post by Tetenterre » May 16th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Humourous construction of small cavities:

Henniken penniken
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#947 Post by Tetenterre » January 8th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Humourous construction of small cavities:

Henniken penniken
I have completely forgotten what this is! :pointlaugh:

later: Ah! Got it. That was tricky! You need to start by finding a 3-syllable synonym for "humorous" (see, I can spell it properly!)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#948 Post by animist » January 10th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Humourous construction of small cavities:

Henniken penniken
I have completely forgotten what this is! :pointlaugh:

later: Ah! Got it. That was tricky! You need to start by finding a 3-syllable synonym for "humorous" (see, I can spell it properly!)
comical (some scientific name beyond moi's knowledge)?

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#949 Post by Tetenterre » January 12th, 2018, 4:04 pm

animist wrote:comical (some scientific name beyond moi's knowledge)?
Not "comical".
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#950 Post by animist » January 13th, 2018, 5:05 pm

is the word among these synonyms?

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/humorous

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#951 Post by Tetenterre » January 15th, 2018, 4:33 pm

animist wrote:is the word among these synonyms?

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/humorous
Yes indeed! :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#952 Post by Tetenterre » January 19th, 2018, 10:31 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:is the word among these synonyms?

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/humorous
Yes indeed! :laughter:
This is turning out to be a bit of a joke.

(And that was sort of a hint :D )
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#953 Post by animist » January 19th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:is the word among these synonyms?

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/humorous
Yes indeed! :laughter:
This is turning out to be a bit of a joke.

(And that was sort of a hint :D )
I had thought of jocular ocular, but thought that the latter word refers just to the eye

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#954 Post by Tetenterre » January 22nd, 2018, 4:25 pm

Jocular is correct - that accounts for "humorous"; the other word accounts for the rest of the clue (Not "ocular" or I'd have written "Henny Enny" :laughter: _
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#955 Post by animist » January 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Jocular is correct - that accounts for "humorous"; the other word accounts for the rest of the clue (Not "ocular" or I'd have written "Henny Enny" :laughter: _
jocular locula

Henny Penny - beetle nut

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#956 Post by Tetenterre » January 27th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Henny Penny - beetle nut
I suppose it's nowhere near as simple as beetle betel... :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#957 Post by animist » January 27th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Henny Penny - beetle nut
I suppose it's nowhere near as simple as beetle betel... :wink:
correct, as this would be Henny Henny and also be repeating the clue. I made an adventitious pun here. If the sainted Emma W were still around here she would probably complain that the answer does not have exactly rhyming spelling, but the pronunciation is close-enough rhyming IMO

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#958 Post by animist » January 27th, 2018, 11:59 pm

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Jocular is correct - that accounts for "humorous"; the other word accounts for the rest of the clue (Not "ocular" or I'd have written "Henny Enny" :laughter: _
jocular locula
I shoulda said jocular locular - I had never heard of locular but will now will use it if possible (after managing without for 71 years) :smile:

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#959 Post by animist » January 30th, 2018, 11:33 am

it maybe should be Henny Enny - the second word lacks one consonant in the first word

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3244
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#960 Post by Tetenterre » March 2nd, 2018, 3:54 pm

I think I might need another clue (not least because there are over 950,000 varieties of beetle)
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6520
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#961 Post by animist » March 5th, 2018, 11:07 am

Tetenterre wrote:I think I might need another clue (not least because there are over 950,000 varieties of beetle)
but not all were worshipped in ancient Egypt

Post Reply