INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Descramble

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
animist

Re: Descramble

#361 Post by animist » December 21st, 2017, 12:16 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Please don't let me be misunderstood

first word means irritate, second word nonsense? Cecil the clothier is responsible
ie glug feeling

animist

#362 Post by animist » December 21st, 2017, 2:23 pm

animist wrote:

first word means irritate, second word nonsense? Cecil the clothier is responsible
make that Cecil the clothyer

Tetenterre

#363 Post by Tetenterre » January 6th, 2018, 11:36 am

Returning to this and am just as baffled as I was a couple of weeks ago. Any chance of a clue? :smile:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#364 Post by animist » January 6th, 2018, 11:54 am

Tetenterre wrote:Returning to this and am just as baffled as I was a couple of weeks ago. Any chance of a clue? :smile:
oh TT, sorry, I thought that you just had better things to do over the Festive Season! :wink: Yes, I thought it might be a stinker and found it hard to give more clues. I gave you the forename of the individual responsible; the surname was shared with Liz and tennis-playing Roger.

Tetenterre

#365 Post by Tetenterre » January 6th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Yup, did have better things to do, but I also dislike unsolved conundrums :) .

So, I suppose I'd better go and find a decent Cecil Taylor discography...
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#366 Post by animist » January 7th, 2018, 10:58 am

Tetenterre wrote:Yup, did have better things to do, but I also dislike unsolved conundrums :) .

I just had a very quick look myself and don't want you to waste time doing this (not being sarky!) as I doubt that I would find the track. Concentrate maybe on the first word - I said it means irritating (like me :laughter: ). You might say that you have a -----ing (a bit like nagging) pain somewhere. As the title does not have many letters, and there are lots of "g"s, you might well get it now. I doubt that when you do get this you will want to experience the track itself, so I might as well say now that I think it's a mindblowingly magnificent 8 minutes of listening. Even jazz fans often disliked Cecil's stuff, and he is still around. The piece in question comes from 1966 and is a track on the rather tautologically named "Student Studies".

As for unsolved conundrums, I still have not solved your last one in Henny Penny, IIRC

animist

#367 Post by animist » January 7th, 2018, 1:09 pm

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:Yup, did have better things to do, but I also dislike unsolved conundrums :) .

I just had a very quick look myself and don't want you to waste time doing this (not being sarky!) as I doubt that I would find the track. Concentrate maybe on the first word - I said it means irritating (like me :laughter: ). You might say that you have a -----ing (a bit like nagging) pain somewhere. As the title does not have many letters, and there are lots of "g"s, you might well get it now. I doubt that when you do get this you will want to experience the track itself, so I might as well say now that I think it's a mindblowingly magnificent 8 minutes of listening. Even jazz fans often disliked Cecil's stuff, and he is still around. The piece in question comes from 1966 and is a track on the rather tautologically named "Student Studies".

As for unsolved conundrums, I still have not solved your last one in Henny Penny, IIRC
it is actually 12 minutes you will have to endure in order to match my ecstasy! Gives an idea of heaven and hell, don't it?

Tetenterre

#368 Post by Tetenterre » January 8th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Niggle something? Damned if I can make any headway with the remaining letters, though.

I'll go and take a shufti at HP and see if maybe I can remember what it was! :laughter:
Steve

animist

#369 Post by animist » January 11th, 2018, 11:07 am

Tetenterre wrote:Niggle something? Damned if I can make any headway with the remaining letters, though.

I'll go and take a shufti at HP and see if maybe I can remember what it was! :laughter:
thanks, I have responded on that thread. Re this one, I said that the word was nonsense, and I think I basically gave it away by mentioning the album title

Tetenterre

#370 Post by Tetenterre » January 15th, 2018, 4:41 pm

animist wrote:Re this one, I said that the word was nonsense, and I think I basically gave it away by mentioning the album title
<uses_google>
Niggle Feuigle

Hmm. At least my current Henny Penny is an actual word! :laughter:

Specially testing time to book a T-class MG?

Bull: "I moos." (4,5)
Steve

animist

#371 Post by animist » January 19th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Tetenterre wrote: Bull: "I moos." (4,5)
must be Soul Limbo. Omigod, that is the theme to Wimbledon I think, but I never knew the title, which was short enough for me to guess! I always liked their "Green Onions" though - damn, no chance of doing that now! I will need some time to think of another one

animist

#372 Post by animist » January 20th, 2018, 12:02 pm

after Cecil the Taylor, here is (6,3,7), again from the 1950s jazz era.

clear the rum firer

a Proustian connection, and the clothing concerned is morally dubious

Tetenterre

#373 Post by Tetenterre » January 22nd, 2018, 4:22 pm

animist wrote: Omigod, that is the theme to Wimbledon I think
TMS (Test Match Special) - hence the "testing" in the clue. :wink:
Steve

Tetenterre

#374 Post by Tetenterre » January 22nd, 2018, 4:34 pm

Calmer the furrier? Doesn't make sense, and seems to be a "Goognil"
Steve

animist

#375 Post by animist » January 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Calmer the furrier? Doesn't make sense, and seems to be a "Goognil"
think Proust!

Tetenterre

#376 Post by Tetenterre » January 26th, 2018, 10:45 am

Is "furrier" correct?
Steve

animist

#377 Post by animist » January 26th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Is "furrier" correct?
yes indeed, you just have to get an anagram of Calmer which parallels my earlier puzzle of Cecil the Taylor

Tetenterre

#378 Post by Tetenterre » January 26th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Duh! Marcel. Your "Proust" got me on to Recherching perdu'd temps and so on.

Just heading out to do some astronomy with a bunch of youngsters. Will get back to this over the weekend...
Steve

Tetenterre

#379 Post by Tetenterre » March 2nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

Sorry; the weekend morphed into a month. :laughter:

Easy one, I think.

The monarch calls for moral support

Bandy stem
(5,2,2)
Steve

animist

#380 Post by animist » March 5th, 2018, 11:11 am

Tetenterre wrote:Sorry; the weekend morphed into a month. :laughter:

Easy one, I think.

The monarch calls for moral support

Bandy stem
(5,2,2)
stand by me. This'll make you laugh - I almost added "Oh, so this was one of Queen's was it?" Duh

a more modern one. Astronomically a bit of an oxymoron? But one could eventually become the other one (you will understand this more than me when you get it!)

louche blanks

Tetenterre

#381 Post by Tetenterre » March 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Black hole sun.

I have a student to go and teach - I'll be back (maybe not as long as last time!) :laughter:
Steve