INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Angel Garden & Steve Paris court case: judgment

Alan H

Re: Angel Garden & Steve Paris judgment

#21 Post by Alan H » January 22nd, 2016, 12:48 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Case tracker is here. Enter 20152839.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Melanie Byng

#22 Post by Melanie Byng » March 22nd, 2016, 8:44 pm

Today the Court of Appeal refused permission for an appeal in this case at an oral hearing. So that's it. I think we'll be able to see the Judges' ruling at a later stage. I was not there but others were including Andy and my husband Richard, who was sued by Angel and Steve at the beginning of this case.

So grateful to Robert Dougans, Serena Cooke and Jonathan Price.

Alan H

#23 Post by Alan H » March 23rd, 2016, 8:10 am

The final end of a bizarre and wholly unnecessary saga.

I cannot imagine the relief you must now feel, however great your faith in the English legal system!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Mercifull

#24 Post by Mercifull » July 22nd, 2016, 12:19 pm

I'm aware I'm bumping this old post but this may be of relevance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#25 Post by Maria Mac » July 22nd, 2016, 10:39 pm

:yawn: :sleep:

They evidently haven't grasped that they have already gone as far as they can go in their attempts to hurt and damage two families for simply wanting nothing to do with them - attempts that were ultimately unsuccessful. Nothing they say or do matters now and nobody cares....unless you do, Mercifull?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

kbell

#26 Post by kbell » August 12th, 2016, 10:31 am

Mercifull wrote:I'm aware I'm bumping this old post but this may be of relevance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop
I'm reminded of this:

Kathryn

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#27 Post by Maria Mac » September 24th, 2016, 2:52 pm

An interesting blog by our friend Guy Chapman, which is of some relevance here though it is primarily about some weirdo called Jonathan Bishop, who seems to be cut from similar cloth.

http://chapmancentral.co.uk/2016/09/wei ... mmer-ever/

Melanie Byng

#28 Post by Melanie Byng » September 26th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Update: this court case has concluded with an order made by the County Court at Swansea that the (now) defendants' (A&S) property shall be sold without further reference to the Court. Although it has undoubtedly been a distressing episode for us and for our families this is not an outcome we wanted and we regret that it has happened. Choosing to litigate is a very serious matter.

Thank you, Maria and others, for your concern and support.

Melanie Byng

#29 Post by Melanie Byng » December 1st, 2016, 12:42 pm

I'm surprised to be commenting here again but Angel and Steve filed an application with the Court to reopen permission to appeal. This has just been rejected. I would be even more surprised had they succeeded, my concern is that our lawyers had to spend yet more time dealing with this case. Much of their correspondence has been published by A & S (on an obscure site) along with various statements critical of us, our legal team and so on. There is no new material . The costs order has been carried out, which as I stated in my last comment is very unfortunate. It will be clear to anyone reading here that Andy and I do not benefit in any way, we did not ask for or receive damages. Libel cases are very expensive and time consuming and costs must be paid.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#30 Post by Maria Mac » December 1st, 2016, 3:59 pm

Good grief - is this ever going to end? I found the new site they started - oh, the irony of the title. They are so consumed with hatred I wonder how they function at all and what really beggars belief is that they see themselves as the victims!
It will be clear to anyone reading here that Andy and I do not benefit in any way, we did not ask for or receive damages.
Absolutely clear but that doesn't stop them promoting the falsehood that you have been "rewarded". Note I am not saying they are deliberately lying because it was clear to me when I first heard Paris make this claim in court back in March that they genuinely believe that having to pay their own costs for an entirely malicious case initiated, brought and lost entirely by themselves amounts to "rewarding" you!

I see they also defaced their house before vacating it.

Edited to add: I'm attaching just two out of a total of eleven examples of what they call "art for evidence" :hilarity:

Mad, bad and irredeemably stupid.
:headbang:

16-Politeness-of-the-psychopath-768x423.jpg
16-Politeness-of-the-psychopath-768x423.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 28361 times
Attachments
13-Altering-Chronology-768x576.jpg
13-Altering-Chronology-768x576.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 28361 times

Melanie Byng

#31 Post by Melanie Byng » December 2nd, 2016, 1:35 pm

Hi Maria :) No, we have not been rewarded.

kbell

#32 Post by kbell » December 21st, 2016, 6:52 pm

Interesting article by a victim of bullying by the above-named about the dangers of suing for libel.

https://medium.com/@lecanardnoir/should ... .wo7mtw9zf
Kathryn

Alan H

#33 Post by Alan H » December 21st, 2016, 9:03 pm

kbell wrote:Interesting article by a victim of bullying by the above-named about the dangers of suing for libel.

https://medium.com/@lecanardnoir/should ... .wo7mtw9zf
Yes, I saw that. Very sobering.
Alan Henness

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#34 Post by Maria Mac » January 5th, 2017, 6:10 pm

I found some time over the holidays to read through the stuff on their new website and felt this thread wouldn't be complete if I didn't link to the Permission to Appeal Hearing Judgment (March 2016), which they have helpfully uploaded there, along with a load of other stuff that reflects badly on them.

I found it compelling reading, though a bit like watching a pair of six-year-olds making their idea of a watertight argument to an Oxford don and failing to understand when the don explains why their argument is rubbish. If anyone wants to glance at it, the first thirty paragraphs summarise the original trial judge's conclusions. Some examples:
The judge's conclusion was that the second claimant's (AG) aggressive behaviour towards the second defendant (MB) was not justified.

He also found that the articles by the second claimant attacking the first defendant (AL) published on 2 and 7 March 2012 were wholly unfounded and amounted to attacks which opened up a defence of qualified privilege by way of answer to an attack

the judge was entitled to the view that this was a deliberate attempt (by AG) to damage his (MB's husband's) reputation with his employers on a wholly unjustifiable basis;

the judge found that the second defendant was entitled to the view that she was the subject of repeated attacks by the claimants and had responded proportionately;
The next few paragraphs summarise the claimants submissions and the final paragraphs give the appeal court judgment which I'm c&ping the final paragraphs in full with my emphasis:
39. In my judgment, these submissions reveal an underlying difficulty for the claimants. That difficulty is that they allowed a relatively confined dispute to escalate into unpleasant exchanges. That was unfortunate enough, but for the claimants to then have embarked on an expensive libel action, acting on their own behalf in a difficult and relatively complex area of the law, can only be viewed as a mistake. Even if they had succeeded on every point, the damages awarded would have been modest, and the difficulties they now find themselves in as a result of their view of their claims are of their own making.
40. The order for costs, of which a further complaint is made at paragraphs 26 and 27 of the claimants' submissions, was the natural consequence of the judge's finding in the defendants' favour.
41. For these reasons, the applications for permission to appeal and for a stay of execution of the judge's order are refused.
And here's a link to a much shorter document, well worth a look. It's the response from the judge to an application for permission to reopen the appeal, signed November 2016. Order from Justice Simon

kbell

#35 Post by kbell » January 8th, 2017, 12:38 am

A few years ago Athena pointed out to me a really malicious blog post by Angel Garden, saying it was so bad she was'na going to mention it on this forum. I read it and was disgusted. IIRC it was justifying the letter she sent which was referred to in the appeal judgement.
the judge was entitled to the view that this was a deliberate attempt (by AG) to damage his (MB's husband's) reputation with his employers on a wholly unjustifiable basis;
The blog post and the comments below it have since disappeared. Interesting because I was a commenter on that blog using the pseudonym 'Abi', which I used in various other places online, including this forum's predecessor, as some here may remember. I say 'pseudonym' not 'sockpuppet' because I used no other id online and I had never engaged with Angel Garden anywhere before so she didn't know me as anyone else and I had no intention of using my real name to a bampot like her. Believing strongly in her right to say what she likes on other people's blogs, Angel Garden published some of my comments and withheld others according to her personal taste, so I gave up the conversation.

Since that ridiculous video of Paris was posted above I've been occasionally 'stalking' them online (i.e checking their tweets and their website even though we've all blocked each other...well aren't just the devil-fecking-incarnate?), anyway it's clear they are keeping up their overt harassment by defamation of certain people and after Athena's last post Angel Garden spit the dummy again. In her latest rant she complains of being harassed by "networked and coordinated gangs of “humanists” and “skeptics”". :rolleyes:

To my amusement, she then goes on to confidently reveal the identity of the 'Abi', who commented on her blog three fecking years ago as....(drum roll) @Skepticat_UK aka Athena!

Gotcha! :laughter:
Kathryn

kbell

#36 Post by kbell » January 8th, 2017, 12:44 am

I'd like to add that, as some people here know, I once had a cyberstalker - a real one, not the kind imagined by people with a persecution complex. It started on the now defunct Internet Infidels forum and my stalker followed me from there to the BHA forum which, in those days, was a public forum open to non-members. His behaviour there contributed to its premature closure. I found other forums, I was a relatively new atheist and enjoyed the online discussions, but wherever I went, he followed, aggressively butting into conversations and sending me unsolicited and inappropriate messages. He seemed obsessed with me and it was distressing. More so when he started to slag me off to others in places I couldn't access. Eventually I found out who he really was, that he had a criminal record for serious violence, that he lived within striking distance of me and that he could probably find out where I lived if he wanted to. He might just have been a cowardly online bully, as I initially thought Angel Garden and Steve Paris were, but how could I know for sure? Because of him I transferred to a different part of the country and I "disappeared" from the internet i.e. I abandoned all accounts in all places where I'd been open about my identity and started again, using a pseudonym and revealing nothing about my personal life online. Only after my tormentor's death was confirmed a few years ago did I feel free to be myself again.

When I see someone else going through something similar to what I went through, I feel a lot of empathy for them and a lot of anger for their tormentors and I use that word advisedly. I've followed this story with concern ever since I first noticed them sparring with Athena/skepticat on twitter. Knowing something of my story, Athena asked my opinion on whether she should start a thread about them here. I felt that as long as it is open to them to register and respond here (which they were free to do as long as they stuck to very minimal rules, as we all do), I didn't see a problem and challenging bullying when we see it is exactly what humanists should do, so long may we continue.
:finger:
Kathryn

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#37 Post by Maria Mac » January 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Thanks for that, k. I see that reading items they post on the web for all to see equates to 'cyberstalking' in the minds of the manifestly unhinged.

:)

Bryn

#38 Post by Bryn » February 25th, 2017, 11:31 pm

kbell wrote:Only after my tormentor's death was confirmed a few years ago did I feel free to be myself again.
:shock:
I just caught up with this thread and I actually didn't know this, K, so didn't realise it was the reason you'd gone back to your real name. I remember you telling me the whole horrific story at the meetup in the pub in Glasgow we all had many years ago (where, if I remember rightly, you introduced yourself as 'Abi' or did I dream that bit?)

What an incredible relief it must be to be free of the mentalist bastard!

:party:

kbell

#39 Post by kbell » February 27th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Hey Bryn!
Bryn wrote: I remember you telling me the whole horrific story at the meetup in the pub in Glasgow we all had many years ago (where, if I remember rightly, you introduced yourself as 'Abi' or did I dream that bit?):
Jings, that's nearly ten years ago! I've got a photo of us looking very drunk having spent the entire day in the Counting House. Yes, I probably did just give my name as Abi, as I was using it online and was at the height of my paranoia.
What an incredible relief it must be to be free of the mentalist bastard!
It certainly was when I got the confirmation but it's been a few years now so I'm used to it. :)
Kathryn

Bryn

Re: Angel Garden & Steve Paris court case: judgment

#40 Post by Bryn » March 1st, 2017, 5:00 pm

Athena wrote:As expected, Angel Garden/Steve Paris’ ill-conceived legal action against Andy Lewis and Melanie Byng has failed. Andy’s blog has statements from AL and MB and a link to the full judgment, handed down earlier this week. The judgment runs to 59 pages of compelling detail.
I read the whole judgement last night - I only intended to have a quick glance but once I'd started I couldn't tear myself away. WHAT A PAIR OF TOTAL COCKS!

Check your dms, Kathryn, so you can email me a copy of that pic. I'm assuming it's too embarrassing to ask you to publish it on here. :D

Melanie Byng

Re: Angel Garden & Steve Paris court case: judgment

#41 Post by Melanie Byng » February 25th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Another bizarre update nearly a year later.

Angel and Steve attempted to appeal yet again on the pretext that they had found new evidence - in reality a film they had taken of Andy Lewis at a skeptics meeting in Bath which they'd already disclosed to the Court but this time it was FROM A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE. As the appeal Judge states: 'it adds nothing to the merits'.

They also re-submitted material (from disclosed correspondence) which they'd been told was privileged and which 'at any event does not assist the applicants'. I can't remember now what it was.

They were also disputing the decision made by HHJ Seys Llewellyn at the pre-trial review in 2015 NOT to allow them to reinstate a claim for harassment, which they'd made and then withdrawn, we imagine on the advice of lawyers they had at the time. The original claim was a vast and formless beast, an exercise in self-indulgence, speculation and hopeful Stalinism. Everything after that was a slip of a thing.

Anyway, as reply to this application to revisit that decision of early 2015 in the words of the latest appeal judge (the Right Hon. Lady Justice Sharp):

'This application, brought more than two years out of time, with no reasonable explanation, is a hopeless attempt on vexatious grounds to challenge an unimpeachable case management decision made by the judge. The application before the judge was made extremely late; it would have led to the vacation of the trial date, which was imminent, and as the judge found it would have vastly widened the scope of proceedings with the consequent implications for court resources and costs. Further, as the judge pointed out, to the extent the evidence was relevant to the defamation claim it could be used without amendment.'

They also appear to have been cross that we (the Respondents) were given opportunity to reply to their submissions in their FIRST application to re-open the appeal (I forget to tell you there was an earlier application to re-open) and because we'd had that opportunity they accused the first appeal judge of bias. They even demanded that he recuse himself. How dare we have representation!

It must have seemed unjust to them that they had the same judge (Simon LJ) at appeal and (first) application to re-open the appeal but it appears perfectly standard practice.

I suspect they believed that if they could only get their case in front of a different appeal judge there would be a different result. This is that result. The judgement by the Right Hon Lady Justice Sharp ends:

'The applicants should understand that if any further such applications are made directly or tangentially in connection with these proceedings, and the issues considered in them, the court will be bound to consider making a Civil Restraint Order against them pursuant to CPR Practice Direction 3C.'

This is reassuring for us of course but not entirely surprising.