INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

2016 US election

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Alan H

Re: 2016 US election

#81 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2016, 10:13 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Ken H wrote:Ted Cruze just dropped out of the race after losing the Indiana primary. The chances for a contested convention are now about gone. Looks like Trump will be the Republican nominee.
Hopefully this means that Bernie or Hilary will be the next President? Would Cruz's supporters vote for Trump or would they vote for anyone Republican?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#82 Post by Dave B » May 4th, 2016, 10:41 am

Alan H wrote:
Ken H wrote:Ted Cruze just dropped out of the race after losing the Indiana primary. The chances for a contested convention are now about gone. Looks like Trump will be the Republican nominee.
Hopefully this means that Bernie or Hilary will be the next President? Would Cruz's supporters vote for Trump or would they vote for anyone Republican?
Er, did you mean "Democrat" if Trump is the only Repblican candidate? Or will they waste their vote in some way? Maybe by voting Libertarian, since that is a close cousin to the Repubs?

Ken, are abstentions allowed with your voting system?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#83 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2016, 11:20 am

Dave B wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Er, did you mean "Democrat" if Trump is the only Repblican candidate?
I just wasn't clear... I meant will they vote for anyone under the Republican party regardless of how barmy and ignorant they are... even Trump.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

#84 Post by Ken H » May 4th, 2016, 2:22 pm

I think Bernie is done. He just doesn't have the electoral votes, unless California and the other states that are left surprise everyone. But it's not expected. So, it looks like Hillary and Trump. The debates should be interesting, to say the least. I think Hillary will be up to it though.
Would Cruz's supporters vote for Trump or would they vote for anyone Republican?
I believe some would, and so would many supporters of the other Rep. candidates who dislike Trump. On the other hand, I know some Bernie supporters that would throw away their votes on a third party candidate, such as the Green Party, because they don't like Hillary. They view her as the establishment who supports Wall Street and big business and takes super PAC money (unlimited contributions from corporations, unions, etc.). I think there will be more crossovers from the Republicans though.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#85 Post by Dave B » May 9th, 2016, 5:06 am

ls reality breaking through Trump's hyperbole?
Donald Trump says taxes on the wealthy could increase if he's elected president, and that he supports an increase in the minimum wage. Both positions are departures from where Trump stood in the GOP presidential primary.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#86 Post by Dave B » May 9th, 2016, 5:14 am

Ken, after looking at a few "headlines" in Google about the election tactics . . . I thought some of our politicians were pretty nasty but the lot you have make them seem like children having a playground squabble!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#87 Post by Alan H » May 10th, 2016, 1:34 am

Sadiq Khan plans US visit before election 'in case Trump wins'
London’s new mayor, Sadiq Khan, has said he will visit the US before this year’s presidential elections “in case Donald Trump wins”, in a reference to the presumptive Republican nominee’s call for a ban on Muslims entering the country.

Khan, who last week became the first Muslim mayor in a major western capital, expressed admiration for his counterparts in New York and Chicago and said he wanted to meet them.

But in an interview with Time magazine, he said: “If Donald Trump becomes the president I’ll be stopped from going there by virtue of my faith, which means I can’t engage with American mayors and swap ideas.”
:hilarity:
Alan Henness

Ken H

#88 Post by Ken H » May 10th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Great comment by mayor Khan. :laughter:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Alan H

#89 Post by Alan H » July 18th, 2016, 9:47 am

Alan Henness

Alan H

#90 Post by Alan H » July 19th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Alan Henness

Ken H

#91 Post by Ken H » July 19th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Trump's campaign is getting crazier by the minute.

Now Trump blames Hillary for Melania's plagiarism:
'Once again, this is an example of when a woman threatens Hillary Clinton, she seeks to demean her and take her down.' -Trump campaign staffer.

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/07/19/ ... ism-video/

Alan H

#92 Post by Alan H » July 19th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Ken H wrote:Trump's campaign is getting crazier by the minute.

Now Trump blames Hillary for Melania's plagiarism:
'Once again, this is an example of when a woman threatens Hillary Clinton, she seeks to demean her and take her down.' -Trump campaign staffer.

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/07/19/ ... ism-video/
Politics has become surreal on both sides of the Atlantic.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#93 Post by Dave B » July 19th, 2016, 7:50 pm

And these people seek to rule the most powerful nation in the world?

Are there enough total idiots, even in America, to make that happen?

[Sorry if I am being disparaging of your country, Ken, but this affects the whole world.]
Me, 2015

Alan H

#94 Post by Alan H » July 19th, 2016, 11:54 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#95 Post by Dave B » July 20th, 2016, 9:59 am

Yeah, well, in that case you open with something like, "I would like to echo the words of Michelle Obama . . ."

Be good to add something like, ". . . who may be on the opposite side politically but who voiced shared values . . ."

Attribution, context, propaganda all in one bundle!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#96 Post by Alan H » July 22nd, 2016, 12:05 am

DONALD TRUMP THREATENS THE GHOSTWRITER OF “THE ART OF THE DEAL”
When Tony Schwartz, Donald Trump’s ghostwriter for his 1987 memoir, “The Art of the Deal,” decided to tell the public about his concerns that Trump isn’t fit to serve as President, his main worry was that Trump, who is famously litigious, would threaten to take legal action against him. Schwartz’s premonition has proved correct.

On Monday, July 18th, the day that this magazine published my interview with Schwartz, and hours after Schwartz appeared on “Good Morning America” to voice his concerns about Trump’s “impulsive and self-centered” character, Jason D. Greenblatt, the general counsel and vice-president of the Trump Organization, issued a threatening cease-and-desist letter to Schwartz. (You can read the full letter at the bottom of this post.) In it, Greenblatt accuses Schwartz—who has likened his writing of the flattering book to putting “lipstick on a pig”—of making “defamatory statements” about the Republican nominee and claiming that he, not Trump, wrote the book, “thereby exposing” himself to “liability for damages and other tortious harm.”
Alan Henness

Ken H

#97 Post by Ken H » July 22nd, 2016, 2:52 pm

That’s another thing that shows Trump has few scruples.

He obviously chose Pence as his VP in order to appeal to the Tea Party conservatives and fundamentalist Christians. Otherwise, the two are quite different in their ideology. Pence scares me almost as much as Trump, with his ultra-conservatism and anti-science beliefs.

I hope Hillary is up to the task of running against Trump and thwarting his lies and deceptions about her and the Obama administration. The debates should prove interesting.

Ken H

#98 Post by Ken H » July 22nd, 2016, 2:58 pm

(no post)

Alan H

#99 Post by Alan H » July 24th, 2016, 10:37 am

Alan Henness

Dave B

#100 Post by Dave B » July 24th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Be afraid, be very afraid.

If he gets in I predict a coup or revolution in the US within his first (and probably last) term. That's if he is not assasinated first.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#101 Post by Alan H » July 24th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Alan Henness