INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Save the BBC!

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Nick

Re: Save the BBC!

#21 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

The BBC once bought Lonely Planet. And made a loss. In which leftie world is the financing of such a flight of fancy something which needs to be protected by the threat of imprisonment?

Alan H

#22 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Nick wrote:The BBC once bought Lonely Planet. And made a loss. In which leftie world is the financing of such a flight of fancy something which needs to be protected by the threat of imprisonment?
:hilarity:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#23 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Glad to amuse you, Alan, but, wtf are you on about?

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Nick wrote:Glad to amuse you, Alan, but, wtf are you on about?
Your ability to drop something into a discussion that would appear to have no relevance (and certainly not any that was identified) and, of course, the obligatory reference to lefties...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#25 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Regarding collecting money from Internet viewers: not really any different from collecting fron cable viewers? Or even wireless signals?

Since the loss of the radiations from the old CRT tvs and the demise of the motorised ice-cream cans .they might find it had to trace viewers watching illegally to progs actually being broadcast at that time.

Now they just browbeat, badger and threaten the occupier of any property not on their current licence list every year. How much of the funds collected from the licence gies to running the TVL agency one wonders? They have tge right to inspect your circumstances I understand, I insist this is not a problem but suggest they book an appointment if they want to catch me in!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#26 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Alan H wrote:
Your ability to drop something into a discussion that would appear to have no relevance (and certainly not any that was identified)
I'm very sorry that someone, of even your eminence, can't identify such a simple relevance, but there it is....
and, of course, the obligatory reference to lefties...
Not obligatory, but ubiquitous. If lefties continue to talk bollox, then I will continue to point it out. Just because I continue to point out their lunacy, doesn't suddenly, for no apparent reason, make them right. Because it doesn't. They continue to be spectacularly wrong.

(Just so you know... :wink: )

Nick

#27 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Dave B wrote:Regarding collecting money from Internet viewers: not really any different from collecting fron cable viewers? Or even wireless signals?
Indeed.
Since the loss of the radiations from the old CRT tvs and the demise of the motorised ice-cream cans .they might find it had to trace viewers watching illegally to progs actually being broadcast at that time.
Does Sky have that problem....?
Now they just browbeat, badger and threaten the occupier of any property not on their current licence list every year.
That's the State for you. Nothing to do with capitalism is it?
How much of the funds collected from the licence goes to running the TVL agency one wonders
Indeed. I've no idea. But somehow, in this lefty world, paying for something of which one is totally unaware, just because, for some obscure reason, it is a "good thing", is a "good thing", justified by imprisonment. Really? Really?! Hang your head in shame.
They have tge right to inspect your circumstances I understand, I insist this is not a problem but suggest they book an appointment if they want to catch me in!
If you have nothing to hide, then oppressive vigilance by the state is no problem, is it?

Kindly report to the Office of Community Justice, first thing on Monday morning. Bringing with you all relevant papers to justify your lack of guilt. We regret that non-compliance with the above will not be accepted as a reasonable defence....

In other words....

Fuck off.

Dave B

#28 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2015, 9:35 pm

I will echo Alan's comments about your adding non-sequitorial comments in your answers, Nick.

Btw, who was it that established the quangoes like TVL? Mostly the Tory Conmen wasn't it, trying to force a sort of invisible tax on us again? Perhaps my memory is wrong there . . .

All I can see from this will be a reduction in the quality of what used to be the world's most respected broadcaster. Like we have suffered a reduction in the quality of policing and education with the introduction of targets and cuts in budgets. It is such a shame we cannot subject lousy governents to similar strictures. But we are stuck with the same shitheads on all sides, no real choice.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#29 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Your ability to drop something into a discussion that would appear to have no relevance (and certainly not any that was identified)
I'm very sorry that someone, of even your eminence, can't identify such a simple relevance, but there it is....
and, of course, the obligatory reference to lefties...
Not obligatory, but ubiquitous. If lefties continue to talk bollox, then I will continue to point it out. Just because I continue to point out their lunacy, doesn't suddenly, for no apparent reason, make them right. Because it doesn't. They continue to be spectacularly wrong.

(Just so you know... :wink: )
Good grief, Nick.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#30 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2015, 9:49 pm

+1
Me, 2015

Alan H

#31 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Nick wrote:
Dave B wrote:Regarding collecting money from Internet viewers: not really any different from collecting fron cable viewers? Or even wireless signals?
Indeed.
Does Sky have that problem....?
Red herring. In the past, you needed a SIM card that identified you and that you were up to date with your payments before it would decrypt the broadcast. They may still use that system or require a phone connection to the same ends, but I think we can take it for granted that they don't rely on trusting their customers.
How much of the funds collected from the licence goes to running the TVL agency one wonders
Indeed. I've no idea. But somehow, in this lefty world, paying for something of which one is totally unaware, just because, for some obscure reason, it is a "good thing", is a "good thing", justified by imprisonment. Really? Really?! Hang your head in shame.
Whereas sharing communal benefits, spreading the burden, caring for those less fortunate than yourself is anathema to the Tories?
Alan Henness

Altfish

#32 Post by Altfish » July 6th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I assume my 80 year old Mum and Dad will also get Sky free from now on?

Not sure of the exact figures but BBC cost £145/£150 a year
A basic Sky package costs about £240 a year...no sport or films just a basic package.

Of course much of that is so Murdoch can fund the Tories to attack the BBC :wink:

Dave B

#33 Post by Dave B » July 7th, 2015, 6:54 am

Altfish wrote:I assume my 80 year old Mum and Dad will also get Sky free from now on?

A basic Sky package costs about £240 a year...no sport or films just a basic package.

Of course much of that is so Murdoch can fund the Tories to attack the BBC :wink:
Surely the "TV" licence is simply a permission to allow one to watch TV broadcasts that, incidentally, is used to pay for the BBC? Whatever fee you pay to Sky or whoever is an extra you voluntarily incurred for whatever package you chose. Freeview comes "free" - but watch that space . . .
Me, 2015

Altfish

#34 Post by Altfish » July 7th, 2015, 7:48 am

Dave B wrote:
Altfish wrote:I assume my 80 year old Mum and Dad will also get Sky free from now on?

Surely the "TV" licence is simply a permission to allow one to watch TV broadcasts that, incidentally, is used to pay for the BBC? Whatever fee you pay to Sky or whoever is an extra you voluntarily incurred for whatever package you chose. Freeview comes "free" - but watch that space . . .
I did realise that, but if the BBC has to give pensioners free viewing out of their fees, surely SKY, Virgin, Discovery, etc. should do the same.

Dave B

#35 Post by Dave B » July 7th, 2015, 9:32 am

Altfish wrote:
Dave B wrote:

I did realise that, but if the BBC has to give pensioners free viewing out of their fees, surely SKY, Virgin, Discovery, etc. should do the same.
Ah.

No friggin chance!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#36 Post by Alan H » July 7th, 2015, 10:17 am

Dave B wrote:Freeview comes "free" - but watch that space . . .
Well, Gov'. You see, <long breath through teeth>, costs aren't what they used to be. Inflation 'n all that. My costs have risen and, well,... it's not that I wanna do this to you...you being a loyal customer an 'at...but really left with no option but...

I assume that BBC already pay Sky for use of their satellites for Freesat?
Alan Henness

Alan H

#37 Post by Alan H » July 7th, 2015, 10:18 am

Altfish wrote:
Dave B wrote:

:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh:

Not in a million years...
Alan Henness

Nick

#38 Post by Nick » July 7th, 2015, 10:21 am

Altfish wrote:
Dave B wrote:

I'm sure Sky would be up for that, and would also be delighted to reduce their packages to £145 a year if everyone with a TV set was obliged to pay, whether they want to watch Sky or not.

Which would, of course, be an excellent thing, as it is "sharing the burden" and increasing broadcasting for everyone!! :wink:

Alan H

#39 Post by Alan H » July 7th, 2015, 10:48 am

Of course, there's always more...

BBC to Cover License Costs for Elderly, Charge for Streaming Service
The BBC will soon begin covering the costs of the annual TV license for U.K. residents 75 and older. The Beeb will also gain the right to begin charging for use of its popular iPlayer on-demand service.

The changes were confirmed Monday by U.K. Culture Secretary John Whittingdale, after rumors of the policy revamp leaked last week.

Whittingdale told Parliament on Monday that the change for elderly residents would be phased in starting in the 2018 and cover all eligible residents by 2021. That shift will mean about $1 billion in lost license income for the Beeb. The annual bill for a TV license at present stands at about $227 per household.

To help offset that loss, the government will allow the BBC to charge for use of its iPlayer service. At present, many residents avoid the annual license fee by using only the streaming service. Details of that process were not immediately disclosed.
BBC Faced with $1.01 Billion Bill as U.K. Government Shifts Welfare Costs (Report)
The BBC is facing the prospect of absorbing £650 million ($1.01 billion) in lost income as the U.K. government seeks to make the public broadcaster pay for television licenses for the elderly.

At present, the Department for Work and Pensions picks up the bill for the 4.5 million TV licenses, which cost £145.50 ($227) per household, for those who are 75 or older. According to the Sunday Times, George Osborne, the U.K. government’s chancellor of the exchequer, is seeking to shift that bill onto the BBC’s books.

In return, the BBC will be allowed to charge for its video-on-demand service, the iPlayer, which stores BBC content and is currently free of charge. Many people are avoiding the license fee, which is compulsory, by watching TV on tablets and other mobile devices rather than on TV sets. Charging for its streaming services would bring in additional revenue totaling around £150 million ($234 million).

The BBC receives £3.7 billion ($5.76 billion) in revenue from the license fee, and the lost revenue from the Department for Work and Pensions would represent a fifth of that total.

The measure, which is likely to be introduced in 2017, will be announced on Wednesday as part of the government’s annual budget, the Sunday Times said.

Last week, the BBC announced that it would shed more than 1,000 jobs in a major restructuring. The measures will deliver £50 million ($78 million) in savings from merging divisions, cutting down management layers, reducing the number of managers and improving processes. (See here for full story.)
Anyone else think the BBC have been taken for a ride by the Tories?
Alan Henness

Alan H

#40 Post by Alan H » July 16th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Here we go...

BBC Charter Review
Alan Henness

Nick

#41 Post by Nick » July 17th, 2015, 5:23 pm

The BBC is governed by a Royal Charter and the current Charter is due to expire at the end of 2016.
So you wouldn't have a review, then Alan?