INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Britain Is A 'Christian Nation', apparently

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Altfish

Re: Britain Is A 'Christian Nation', apparently

#61 Post by Altfish » March 20th, 2015, 8:03 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Ron Webb wrote:Who gets to decide the content of these prayers? I trust that equal time will be given to Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and Zeus.
I think that says it all, there is not much chance of Zeus getting a word in.

lewist

#62 Post by lewist » March 20th, 2015, 8:50 am

Altfish wrote:
Fia wrote: Because it's an English thing and folk get upset if us strident northerners attempt to interfere in their affairs, which the SNP hitherto don't do. It would have been just your affairs but apparently we're better together :headbang:

Time for reflection can be good, if not default religious. The HSS has led reflection time at Holyrood...
You really don't like us English, do you Fia, we're not all the same I can assure you.
Altfish! There is no question of Fia or any Scot, for that matter, disliking 'the English'. I have friends and relatives in all four of the countries that make up this failing 'union' and I get on well with them all. I like English people. What I don't like is the Westminster government, which has no concept of democracy, and conspires against us at every turn. I suspect many people in England feel the same.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Fia

#63 Post by Fia » March 20th, 2015, 10:29 am

Altfish, I am English! As Lewist states, it's Westminster we have a problem with.

Dave B

#64 Post by Dave B » March 20th, 2015, 11:06 am

And me too!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Altfish

#65 Post by Altfish » March 20th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Fia wrote:Altfish, I am English! As Lewist states, it's Westminster we have a problem with.
I know you are English.

But is it 'an English thing' - aren't there prayers at council meetings in Scotland?
The Parliament used to have (was it called?) 'A Time for Reflection' but tended to be speeches/prayers by priests, ministers etc.
I'm not sure of the current status of councils but I seem to remember plenty still said prayers a year or so ago; although some had dropped them (Just like England)

Alan C.

#66 Post by Alan C. » March 20th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Altfish

#67 Post by Altfish » March 21st, 2015, 7:36 am

It is the same in England in many places, the only ones that hit the headlines are the Tory nut job councils and then Pickles picked up on it.

THIS ISN'T AN ENGLAND V SCOTLAND ISSUE, it affects both lands.

Nick

#68 Post by Nick » March 21st, 2015, 9:09 am

Nor is it solely a Tory issue. True, they may be more "Christian", but Labour have been very significant in supporting the idea that other religions, particularly Islam, are equally relevant. The disastrous legitimisation of divisions in society into "Communities" (Grrrr!!) tells the same sad story. We should be uniting against religion in public policy.

Altfish

#69 Post by Altfish » March 21st, 2015, 1:38 pm

Nick wrote:Nor is it solely a Tory issue. True, they may be more "Christian", but Labour have been very significant in supporting the idea that other religions, particularly Islam, are equally relevant. The disastrous legitimisation of divisions in society into "Communities" (Grrrr!!) tells the same sad story. We should be uniting against religion in public policy.
I knew if I mentioned Tory nut jobs you'd be in doing 'fair and balanced' reporting.

Nick

#70 Post by Nick » March 23rd, 2015, 1:16 pm

Altfish wrote:I knew if I mentioned Tory nut jobs you'd be in doing 'fair and balanced' reporting.
Someone has to.... :D

Alan H

#71 Post by Alan H » April 13th, 2015, 5:50 pm

The UK is one of the least religious countries in the world, survey finds
The majority of Brits are atheist or agnostic, a poll has found, with only 30% of the population describing themselves as religious.

53% of respondents said they were "not religious", though only 13% said they were a "convinced atheist" and the remainder said they "did not know".
Yet we get more and more religion pushed on us.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#72 Post by Altfish » April 13th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Alan H wrote:The UK is one of the least religious countries in the world, survey finds
The majority of Brits are atheist or agnostic, a poll has found, with only 30% of the population describing themselves as religious.

53% of respondents said they were "not religious", though only 13% said they were a "convinced atheist" and the remainder said they "did not know".
When will politicians start to listen to these types of survey and realise that they are out of step. Pickles and the like are dinosaurs

Alan H

#73 Post by Alan H » April 13th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Altfish wrote:
Alan H wrote:The UK is one of the least religious countries in the world, survey finds

When will politicians start to listen to these types of survey and realise that they are out of step. Pickles and the like are dinosaurs
Pickles, Morgan, Gove...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#74 Post by Altfish » April 13th, 2015, 6:57 pm

They do tend to be on the right but I still wake up screaming thinking about Blair

Dave B

#75 Post by Dave B » April 13th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Altfish wrote:

WHAT! :shock:

Politicians take positive notice of something that goes against their personal/ideological belifs. No bloody chance (unless a Fb or twitter campaign is started against them maybe . . .)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

andrew99

#76 Post by andrew99 » April 14th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Worth noting here, that according to wikipedia, non-religious and atheists don't belong to the same group... wiki link check line #3..

Alan H

#77 Post by Alan H » April 14th, 2015, 10:19 pm

andrew99 wrote:
Worth noting here, that according to wikipedia, non-religious and atheists don't belong to the same group... wiki link check line #3..
Perhaps, but that's a completely different survey.
Alan Henness

andrew99

#78 Post by andrew99 » April 15th, 2015, 7:37 am

Alan H wrote:Perhaps, but that's a completely different survey.
Perphaps? What? Perhaps atheists are a subset of religious people? By what definition?

Dave B

#79 Post by Dave B » April 15th, 2015, 9:29 am

andrew99 wrote:
Perphaps? What? Perhaps atheists are a subset of religious people? By what definition?
What is wrong with a "not religious" category that includes "intellectual" atheists, the "can't-be-bothered", those who think religion is mumbo-jumbo that gets in the way of Sunday soccer etc. ?

Take away all those that profess a belief in the supernatural (add in Satanisrs, wicca, pagans and so on to boost the numbers) and I then wonder what proportion of the population would be left on the "unbelievers" side?
Me, 2015

andrew99

#80 Post by andrew99 » April 15th, 2015, 9:32 am

Dave B wrote:
andrew99 wrote:
What is wrong with a "not religious" category that includes "intellectual" atheists, the "can't-be-bothered", those who think religion is mumbo-jumbo that gets in the way of Sunday soccer etc. ?

Take away all those that profess a belief in the supernatural (add in Satanisrs, wicca, pagans and so on to boost the numbers) and I then wonder what proportion of the population would be left on the "unbelievers" side?
By what definition are atheists a subset of religious people?

Alan H

#81 Post by Alan H » April 15th, 2015, 9:40 am

andrew99 wrote:
Eh? I said no such thing. The point I was making is that the the BSA survey and the World Factbook are measures taken by different organisations and the definitions used by one do not necessarily coincide with those used by the other - unless you have evidence to the contrary?
Alan Henness