INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

An epetition that could do with some support

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
stevenw888

An epetition that could do with some support

#1 Post by stevenw888 » February 26th, 2015, 9:09 am

Just when you thought it was all calming down, it all kicks off again.
A slightly bonkers Tory MP, David Tredinnick, who is MP for Bosworth, Leicestershire, and should know better, has decided that astrology should play an active part in decision making within the NHS. Oh dear, you may think, but it's worse than that. This isn't just some harmless old Tory buffoon making silly statements. No, David Tredinnick is a member of the health committee and the science and technology committee and therefore a person of considerable influence. I think he needs to be stopped.
Read about it here
http://mashable.com/2015/02/25/british- ... der=feedly

The epetition is here
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.g ... ions/67985
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Nick

Re: An epetition that could do with some support

#2 Post by Nick » February 26th, 2015, 9:38 am

The man's a loon. (Obviously, if you think about it...! :wink: )

In the expenses scandal, IIRC, he was revealed to have spent £600 on homeopathy CD's and such like. In the House, he is, apparently, known as the MP for Holland and Barrett.

However, the petition calls for the government to remove him from the relevant committees. Apart from the fact that I don't think the government has the power to do so, I don't think the government should have the power to do so. If they could do so, then they could get rid of any criticism (and or lunacy) from the Committee system. Not a good idea. Even if it did end the reign of Hodge the Dodge. :wink:

Whether he should be accepted within the Conservative Party or by his electorate is another matter, but is not addressed by this petition.

stevenw888

#3 Post by stevenw888 » February 26th, 2015, 11:25 am

Good point Nick - I hadn't thought of that. I have another suggestion. If we can possibly acquire the email address of every constituent living in Bosworth, perhaps we could then email each of them to point out their MP's shortcomings and buffoonery. If he fails to hold on to his seat in the forthcoming election, presumably he would have to be removed from his seat on the health committee and the science and technology committee.
Failing that, a concentrated Twitter campaign usually seems to have a beneficial effect. :) I've started already.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

thundril

#4 Post by thundril » February 26th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Perhaps the guy is having a mental health problem. I would leave him alone for a while.
The other people on the committrees will manage him, hopefully.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » February 26th, 2015, 12:32 pm

thundril wrote:Perhaps the guy is having a mental health problem. I would leave him alone for a while.
The other people on the committrees will manage him, hopefully.
Indeed. The Health Committee Chair, Dr Sarah Wollaston has the measure of him and more than capable.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?