INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

This Weekend

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
jaywhat

This Weekend

#1 Post by jaywhat » June 3rd, 2012, 8:19 am

What is so special about this weekend?

Sel

Re: This Weekend

#2 Post by Sel » June 3rd, 2012, 8:27 am

...the beginning of the celebrations of Lizzy's long reign? Great gala on the Thames on Sunday.
1:30 AM here - I cannot sleep. :boohoo:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#3 Post by animist » June 3rd, 2012, 10:07 am

jaywhat wrote:What is so special about this weekend?
why do you even ask? (sorry - my last TH posts have been in the Questions game)

animist

#4 Post by animist » June 3rd, 2012, 10:08 am

Sel wrote:...the beginning of the celebrations of Lizzy's long reign? Great gala on the Thames on Sunday.
1:30 AM here - I cannot sleep. :boohoo:
is there a causal relationship between your insomnia and the the celebrations?

jaywhat

#5 Post by jaywhat » June 3rd, 2012, 11:22 am

animist wrote:
jaywhat wrote:What is so special about this weekend?
why do you even ask? (sorry - my last TH posts have been in the Questions game)

I suppose I ask because it is not special to me. I know what it is about but why the hell are we making all this fuss? Do we have to? No we don't. I am doing nothing.

Fia

#6 Post by Fia » June 3rd, 2012, 11:29 am

I'm working from yesterday - next Saturday, so managing to duck most of it :-) Have been appalled by the obsequiousness of the TV, as many clients have it on all day. Apparently something to do with some rich person's 60 years of public service. Well, she'd better watch out as the gvt are trying to get rid of as many as possible :cross:

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » June 3rd, 2012, 11:35 am

Apparently, the Queen is doing a fantastic job of being of being, erm...the Queen.

Although it's never said who she's being compared to.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#8 Post by Alan C. » June 3rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

jaywhat
It's the Aith lifeboat gala day and the sun is shining for a change (windy though) :D
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » June 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

Any signs of Union Jack bunting?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » June 3rd, 2012, 2:11 pm

Alan H wrote:Any signs of Union Jack bunting?
If you're asking me Alan, absolutely not.
Lots of Shetland flags, Vikings, and musicians. :smile:

Nick

#11 Post by Nick » June 3rd, 2012, 9:37 pm

My friends Andy and Caroline Soper (and their dog) were interviewed on their dutch barge which was in the river procession. :D

Not sure what a dutch barge has to do with 60 years of Queen Bess, though....

And I'm always minded that the long reign is only made possible by the early death of her father.....

From what I saw, neither Liz nor Phil sat down for several hours. Doesn't make them saints, of course, but pretty tough cookies for 86 and 90 respectively.

And on a totally trivial point HM arrived in a car with number plates. Curious.

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » June 3rd, 2012, 11:15 pm

Nick.
From what I saw, neither Liz nor Phil sat down for several hours. Doesn't make them saints, of course, but pretty tough cookies for 86 and 90 respectively.
Plenty of time for for the old fart to speak out of it then (if he wasn't sitting on it) :)
And on a totally trivial point HM arrived in a car with number plates. Curious.
Aren't number plates obligatory?
Even for our most dysfunctional family of inbreeds.

Not a royalist; no. :cross:

lewist

#13 Post by lewist » June 4th, 2012, 7:52 am

Alan C. wrote:
jaywhat
It's the Aith lifeboat gala day and the sun is shining for a change (windy though) :D
That sounds great, Alan! Maybe next year I'll come. Windy weather is what Shetlanders do best.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan C.

#14 Post by Alan C. » June 4th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Something else that happened this weekend Shetland Classic Motor Show photo gallery
Some excellent pics for anybody that likes vintage motors.

You'd be most welcome Lewis. :)

Val

#15 Post by Val » June 4th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Special royal car often does not carry number plates. I remember Morecambe and Wise as traffic wardens and Eric trying to book the chauffeur.

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » June 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm

This post is relevant to this thread. Not everybody had such a great time. Particularly the ones bussed in from the likes of Cardiff and earning £2.80 an hour and who were forced to camp out under a bridge. But is was OK, really. They were given some security training.
Alan Henness

stevenw888

#17 Post by stevenw888 » June 6th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I see also that the BBC have come in for some 'heavy' criticism from the Daily Mail for their trivialising of the flotilla reporting on Sunday. Apparently Fearne Cotton was given valuable airtime to discuss the Queen's image on a sick-bag!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ead_module

Not that I'd ever be upset if I was criticised by the Daily Mail. In fact I'd feel quite proud if I'd managed to upset that right-wing trashy tabloid. I feel honoured that I've been banned for life from commenting on their "news" stories.

I enjoyed the concert on Monday night. Stevie Wonder was ace! So was Robbie Williams!
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Tetenterre

#18 Post by Tetenterre » June 6th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I've already had my rant on the pathetic Saturday effort here in the Ranting thread. As for the Sunday concert, the bits to which I was subjected were the sort of stuff that I turn off if it comes on the radio.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

stevenw888

#19 Post by stevenw888 » June 7th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Sorry to be a pedant TT but the flotilla of boats on the Thames was on Sunday, and the conceert was on Monday evening. Please try to stay awake! :D
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Dave B

#20 Post by Dave B » June 7th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Perhaps Steve was so affected that he totally lost the will to live for 24 hours. No doubt revived by some good food and vino.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015