INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Alan C.

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1841 Post by Alan C. » May 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick
When I was at school I was lucky enough to swim at school, sometimes every day.
You had a swimming pool in school!? Are you one of the 1%?

We used to get bussed to the municipal pool once a week but on a Saturday I would go in at 8.00am and not come out till 4pm, thruppence well spent. :)
Which comedian(s) do you like best, and least?
Difficult question, I really like John Bishop, not least for his raising of over two £million for sport relief just recently, I also think Dara O'briain is very good.

Least............I don't see many as I only tend to watch the ones I know I like, are Bernard Manning and Chubby brown still around?

Bernard manning refused me entry to the Embassy club some considerable years ago, cos I wasn't wearing a tie. :)

As I can't think of owt else, (it's bedtime) same question.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jaywhat

#1842 Post by jaywhat » May 21st, 2012, 6:11 am

Comedians - there are a lot I like.
Swimming - I cannot really do it and I never try. There are other things i cannot do; I cannot understand how to set up a website but I am trying, slightly.....well thinking about it.

Is there anything you really cannot do?

stevenw888

#1843 Post by stevenw888 » May 21st, 2012, 11:54 am

I cannot bring myself to believe in the existence of a sky-fairy, no matter how hard I try.

Same question...
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Alan C.

#1844 Post by Alan C. » May 21st, 2012, 9:13 pm

I can't roll a fag without a machine, or even with a machine when drunk (Fia will testify)
My dad could roll one with one hand. Impressed much.

Not a good roll model I know but........

What could your mum or dad do that impressed you?

thundril

#1845 Post by thundril » May 21st, 2012, 10:22 pm

My mum played a mean boogie-woogie piano!
What particular action (that you have actually done) would you most want people to remember you for?

Fia

#1846 Post by Fia » May 21st, 2012, 10:48 pm

edited to say how wonderful it must have been to have a Mum who could play mean boogie-woogie piano :D

I'd like them to recognise that my long held Humanism is the bedrock of my life. I care well - professionally and personally - I do fabulous ceremonies, I live my life with as much joy and compassion as possible, I'm a little off the wall for some :) I'd like to be remembered as that colourful eccentric Humanist who always tried to made a little bit of difference to others lives.

Sorry, that's not very particular. Perhaps someone else could do better...

getreal

#1847 Post by getreal » May 21st, 2012, 11:32 pm

I just don't want to be remembered as boring. I've asked all my friends to put on my tombstone "she wasn't boring". I do want to be remembered as being quite nice.

It's such a good question, same again..
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#1848 Post by Fia » May 21st, 2012, 11:42 pm

...and until someone else answers I'd just like to say that having had the delight of meeting getreal I can assure you she is neither boring nor 'quite nice', as she's actually bloomin' lovely :kiss:

getreal

#1849 Post by getreal » May 21st, 2012, 11:54 pm

Aw! Gee, thanks.

Psst...the cheque's in the post
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

stevenw888

#1850 Post by stevenw888 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:49 am

I'd just like to be remembered by my two daughters as having been a good dad. That would do it for me.
Maybe, when I have grandchildren (my eldest daughter is pregnant) I'd like to be remembered as being a good granddad too!

Same question.....
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Nick

#1851 Post by Nick » May 22nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

I'd be really pleased if people broke out into a broad grin when remembering me in years hence....

Sadly, they are more likely to frown quizzically and say "Who...?"

Too good a question to waste: same again. :)

Alan C.

#1852 Post by Alan C. » May 22nd, 2012, 9:56 pm

I seem to have started something here :)
thundril
What particular action (that you have actually done) would you most want people to remember you for?
The trees I've planted, the older folk I've helped (and still do), and the twelve dogs I've "rescued" And given good lives.

What is your big regret? I'm sure we've all done something we're not proud of.
What's yours?

getreal

#1853 Post by getreal » May 22nd, 2012, 10:41 pm

I think I can honestly say I have no regrets. If I changed anything in my past I would probably not be the person I am today. Wait a minute! I do regret that home made, orange tweed maxi skirt I wore. Someone shouted to me "It's no' halloween till next month!".

I was 16 and thought I was very trendy.

If you could stay anywhere in the world, where would you choose to stay and why?

Nick

#1854 Post by Nick » May 22nd, 2012, 11:01 pm

Alan C. wrote:What is your big regret? I'm sure we've all done something we're not proud of.
What's yours?
Oh, plenty of things, Alan. But in a very real sense, none of them ultimately seem to matter. I might squirm at some of them, but I suspect I am the only one who remembers them. More significantly, the things I regret most are the things I haven't done. The opportunities I didn't take. I could kick myself for most of those.

Oh! It appears that getreal has beat me to it! I'll leave my answer in place, but respond to hers also.
If you could stay anywhere in the world, where would you choose to stay and why?
Depends what you mean by "stay", getreal. I don't think I would want to live outside the UK on a permanent basis. That said, I'd relish the chance to have a ski-chalet in the Alps, and would love to spend some extended time in San Francisco. Enough time to dig some roots. Plenty of other places I'd like to visit (Alberta springs to mind, Sel... :) ), but to stay? Not really.

Why? Ultimately, I have a keen interest in the country of my birth, warts and all. Though I rather wish England were less humid when hot, and less wet when cold, I like much of what it produces. No-one "talks funny" (apart from Yorkshire, of course.... :wink:). When travelling in the US and Oz, I was struck by how much I really missed history.

If you were asked to provide a few pearls of wisdom to a teenager, what would you tell them?

getreal

#1855 Post by getreal » May 22nd, 2012, 11:06 pm

1.Don't believe anyone who says they are the best years of your life.
2.We all look funny naked, so stop worrying.
3.All things must pass.

Good question, so I'll ask the same.

Sel

#1856 Post by Sel » May 23rd, 2012, 2:36 pm

1. Whatever you do in life do it well and take pride in a job well done.
2. Do not be afraid to be different than others. There is no need to follow the crowd.
3. Treat everyone fairly and with respect.

Same question... it is a good one
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#1857 Post by Dave B » May 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm

1. Be honest with and about yourself to yourself.
2. Be ethical in how you deal with others.
3. Always be prepared to learn.

And again . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#1858 Post by Fia » May 23rd, 2012, 6:06 pm

What a lovely question :) Only 3? Hmm...

1. Be authentic to yourself

2. Education is lifelong

3. Apart from buying a home, if you don't have the money for what you'd like then save for it - don't borrow from a financial institution.

keep it going...

thundril

#1859 Post by thundril » May 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

1. Question everything. Especially your own strongest beliefs.

2. Don't assume you need to ask permission to do stuff unless it's really obvious that you should.

3. Take a look at some photos from the late 60's. Some of us thought that 'look' was cool. Now take a look at your mate with his jeans hanging round his arse. You want to feel a complete pillock in a few years time?

Do you remember a photo of yourself that you wish you still had?
(The traditional three is allowed.)

Alan C.

#1860 Post by Alan C. » May 24th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Nick If you were asked to provide a few pearls of wisdom to a teenager, what would you tell them
My biggest regret is smoking, it was cool in 1964, not so now.

So I would probably say that.

How do you see your future? ( probably a daft question given the average age of THrs.

I would say, forget about getting a "job" Work for yourself, (the best 15 years of my life.)
Get a skill, joinery, plumbing, electrician, or whatever, and just go for it.

As I said, daft question, but I cant think of owt else so I'm off to bed. :sleep:

jaywhat

#1861 Post by jaywhat » June 21st, 2012, 6:41 am

Should us oldies waste our precious time giving advice to young'uns who aren't listening anyway?

Have you ever been actually asked for advice?