INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Galaxy Zoo

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Galaxy Zoo

#1 Post by Alan H » March 18th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Although Galaxy Zoo has been mentioned here before, it really does deserve another plug - this time, an excellent article in today's Observer: Galaxy Zoo and the new dawn of citizen science.

Of course, our very own Lorikeet (she does occasionally post here and is known as @PenguinGalaxy on Twitter) is the Alice Sheppard who gets more than a passing mention in the article...

Well done to Alice and all the other Zooites!

If anyone wants to try their hand at classifying galaxies, I'm sure they will be made more than welcome!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

Re: Galaxy Zoo

#2 Post by jaywhat » March 19th, 2012, 8:19 am

Thank you so much Alan, for pointing out Galaxy Zoo. I had not read it because I only read bits of the paper - what a waste! Anyway I dug out the Observer from last night's armchair and made the article my breakfast reading. Almost had me in tears - from the great man Darwin and all the letters he wrote to all and sundry to the brilliant Lorikeet that I feel is a friend. Thank you again.

Lorikeet

#3 Post by Lorikeet » March 19th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Oh wow! Thank you so much Alan, and thank you so much Jaywhat too.

I very rarely have time or energy to come here, but whenever I do, it's always such a great place with fantastic people. Maybe one day I'll get to meet more of you . . . :)
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

thundril

#4 Post by thundril » March 19th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Just spent my first session on Galaxy Zoo. Fascinating. Hypnotic. And really worthwhile.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » March 19th, 2012, 7:21 pm

This looks fascinating must look into it.

[Er, Lorikeet, is "PenguinGalaxy" a sort of double decker chocolate confection?]
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Lorikeet

#6 Post by Lorikeet » March 23rd, 2012, 7:40 pm

This is the Penguin Galaxy

(Hmmm - posting the hotlink to the picture didn't work! If you want to have a closer look at it, this link.)

It was the first interesting galaxy I spotted. Its actual name is ARP 142 - it's part of the Arp catalogue, a collection of peculiar galaxies. It's two galaxies merging - the one that looks like a bird's head is a very warped spiral with a dust lane. A friend's husband named it "the penguin galaxy" and the name stuck :D
Attachments
ARP 142.jpg
ARP 142.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

Lorikeet

#7 Post by Lorikeet » March 23rd, 2012, 7:43 pm

thundril wrote:Just spent my first session on Galaxy Zoo. Fascinating. Hypnotic. And really worthwhile.
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

(Sorry for the double post, I saw the question first and went straight to that! :laughter: )

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » March 23rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
thundril wrote:Just spent my first session on Galaxy Zoo. Fascinating. Hypnotic. And really worthwhile.
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

(Sorry for the double post, I saw the question first and went straight to that! :laughter: )
Hee, should have put a wink after my question - you surely did not think it was serious, Lorikeet?! :D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Lorikeet

#9 Post by Lorikeet » April 1st, 2012, 1:36 am

Sorry. Ask me about ARP 142 and how can I possibly resist answering?!