INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Recipes

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Nick

Re: Recipes

#41 Post by Nick » October 27th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Bump. Just for Dave. :D

Skyfrog

#42 Post by Skyfrog » October 28th, 2011, 12:06 am

I'm not a vegetarian, but these days I'm doing more and more vegetarian meals. Quorn pieces are really nice with the right sauce. My cat strongly approves of me having these dishes, though...

Nick

#43 Post by Nick » January 5th, 2012, 11:32 am

Having witnessed one in action at Lewis's house, I asked Santa for a blender for Christmas, which hecleverly managed to deliver to me, even though I was at my parents' house at the time. How amazing is that?

Anyone any suggestions of soup recipes or similar? I'm trying to follow a low-carb diet at the moment (with some success) so sadly leek and potato soup is really out for now... :sad:

Alan C.

#44 Post by Alan C. » January 5th, 2012, 2:10 pm

carrot and coriander soup
Cream of mushroom
Cream of tomato

All freeze very well so you can make the quantity given in the recipes. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick

#45 Post by Nick » January 5th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Thanks Alan. I'll give 'em a go! :thumbsup:

(Except the mushrooms :sick: You trying to poison me....?)

Dave B

#46 Post by Dave B » January 5th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Alan C. wrote:carrot and coriander soup
Cream of mushroom
Cream of tomato

All freeze very well so you can make the quantity given in the recipes. :smile:
Interesting - have been making soup since xmas - my soups do not contain any extra salt - other than that in Maggi reduced salt stock cubes - and no stock in anything containing tinned toms.

Red pepper, sweetcorn, shallots, a little chili, and coriander with tinned toms makes a sweetish but spicy soup that I find quite filling.

My technique is to put all the ingredients into my liquidiser (saving a little finely chopped stuff for "garnish") then zap it into a sludge. This gets simmered for a few minutes and microwaved before bottling (that should be "jarring" but that means something else.).

I sterilise jam jars in the pressure cooker (sometimes cooking something at the same time!) and put the soup in these whilst both are still hot. Then the lids pop down and give a vacuum seal as they cool.

Great with some decent, robust, bread!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#47 Post by getreal » April 21st, 2012, 11:23 pm

A friend gave me this recipe after serving it to us. It's really delicious, but sounds terrible.

Veg curry
1. garlic

2. mustard seeds

3. Grated cabbage and carrots

4. Garam masala

5. Lemon juice

Fry 1, then add 2 till they start popping, then 3, stir a bit then add 4 and finally 5. Job done

I don't bother with the garam masala. I stir fry it.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Tetenterre

#48 Post by Tetenterre » April 22nd, 2012, 9:17 am

A few of my own tried-and-tested recipes to follow:
North African Rice

a large pinch or two of saffron (use turmeric if you or your wallet prefer)
250 g long-grain rice
1 onion, chopped into about 16 "half moon" pieces
Olive oil
A few handfuls of pine nuts
250 ml water
A handful of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped.
Salt and black pepper

Put the olive oil into a heavy saucepan and gently cook the pepper and turmeric over a low heat.
Add the rice and heat until the rice has a yellow translucent appearance. Add the water and salt
and bring it to the boil as quickly as you can. Turn down the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked,
adding more water if necessary (about 20 minutes).

Fry the onion in olive oil until it is transparent, then add the pine nuts and fry them with the onions
until the pine nuts are golden brown.

Turn the rice into a serving dish and garnish it with the onions, pine-nuts and fresh parsley.
nafricanrice01.jpg
nafricanrice01.jpg (211.63 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
Goes well with Baked Red Snapper.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#49 Post by Tetenterre » April 22nd, 2012, 9:22 am

Baked Red Snapper

2 Red Snappers, gutted and scaled
6 tomatoes, sliced
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 Fresh lemon, chopped into 8 pieces
Olive oil
A few handfuls of fresh herbs (e.g. thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley, tarragon)
Harissa
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
4 cloves garlic, sliced
Black pepper

Smear some oil into a heavy, oven-proof dish. Scatter the tomato, pepper, onion and lemon over the bottom.

Wash and dry the fish, and cut several diagonal slits in each side.

Grind the coriander seeds and garlic with a pestle and mortar. Add the harissa and some olive oil and mix to a
runny paste; if you are using tarragon, chop it finely and add it to this paste. Spoon some paste into the stomach
cavities of the fish, and smear the rest over the outsides, making sure that you work it into the slits. Lay the fish
onto the bed of vegetables in the dish. Tuck the rest of the herbs into the gaps in the dish.
snapper05.jpg
snapper05.jpg (189.48 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
Leave it for 30 to 60 minutes, then place in a hot (200ºC) oven and bake until the flesh of the fish is no longer
translucent (about 25 minutes).

Grind a liberal amount of black pepper over it and serve with North African Rice and a tahini sauce. Goes nicely with
pink cava.
snappersupper.jpg
snappersupper.jpg (355.27 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#50 Post by Tetenterre » April 22nd, 2012, 9:32 am

Spicy Salad

Fresh "oak-leaf" lettuce leaves, sufficient to cover the base of a large serving dish, plus a bit extra.
Half a cucumber, sliced into rings
A green pepper, sliced into strips
A large handful of fresh parsley
Half a small handful of fresh oregano
Half a small handful of fresh thyme
A red chilli
An aubergine, diced
6 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
Olive oil
Paprika
6 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
Mayonnaise
Lemon juice
A large glass of red wine
Pitted kalamata olives

Mix the eggs and mayonnaise to make an egg mayonnaise. Add a dash of lemon juice. Put it in the
fridge to cool.

Heat the oil to a low heat in a large-based pan. Add most of the parsley, and all the oregano,
thyme, garlic, and the chilli. Cook for 10 mins over a low heat and crush the garlic with a wooden
spoon to release the juices. Add the aubergine and cook until it appears to be cooking well around
the outside. Add the tomatoes and red wine and cook until the "juice" is thick. Discard the chilli. Let
the mixture cool for a bit, then put it in the fridge to cool properly.

Line a large serving dish with the lettuce. Spoon the egg mayonnaise into a pile in the middle.
Liberally sprinkle it with paprika. Spoon the aubergine/tomato sauce around the egg, leaving space
on the outside. Line the edge of the dish with upright slices of cucumber. Put another layer of
lettuce leaves between the sauce and the cucumber. Arrange the sliced pepper onto this layer of
lettuce. Put a generous amount of olives onto the sauce. Use the rest of the parsley to dress the
egg and sauce.

Serve with optional balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing on the side.
Steve

Dave B

#51 Post by Dave B » April 22nd, 2012, 9:33 am

Bugger, this is one of my "low calorie" days and, first thing, Steve has to go and present scrumptious stuff like that! :D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Val

#52 Post by Val » April 22nd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Can anyone help? my son-in-law had an operation to remove a cancer from his tongue on the 11th April. He must not eat anything spicy for quite a while. Can anyone suggest something to 'spice' his meals up that won't hurt his tongue/scar.?

Dave B

#53 Post by Dave B » April 22nd, 2012, 7:30 pm

Poor man, hope the op was fully successful.

Nothing that I can think of that has lots of flavour and does not contain "aggressive" substances. Hope it heals quick.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#54 Post by Tetenterre » June 20th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Made this for the first time a couple of days ago. It's easy, vegetarian (so should appeal to most here) and amazingly tasty. Sorry, forgot to photograph it. I believe it's called Bharta.

1 large Aubergine
1 medium White Onion, finely chopped
1 large handful of fresh Mint, finely chopped
1 large handful of fresh Coriander, finely chopped
100g/4oz-ish chopped peeled Tomatoes
1 heaped teaspoon dried Chilli flakes (adjust quantity to taste)
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt to taste

3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 large pinch Chilli flakes
2 tsp Paprika

Prick the aubergine all over with a fork. Fire up the grill/BBQ and place the rack so that the aubergine will be about 10cm/4" from the heat. Sear the aubergine all over to release the skin and soften the aubergine right through. Peel the aubergine, slice it, and mash it to a smooth pulp. Mix in the mint, coriander, tomato, chilli, lemon and salt, and adjust the flavour to suit your taste. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours.

Half an hour before you serve it, warm the oil, turn off he heat, and put in the chilli and paprika and allow it to steep. Just before you serve, heat up the oil until the colour of the spices begins to change, and pour it over the aubergine paste.

Yesterday we had it with a fish, pepper and (tiny) aubergine "curry", humus, and basil- and parsley-flavoured couscous. Today we had it on the superb sourdough bread that Louise makes. I've been instructed to make it again, so I reckon it's pretty good.
Steve

Nick

#55 Post by Nick » June 21st, 2012, 10:44 am

How about Tarka Masala?

It's like Tikka Masala, only 'otter. :D

Dave B

#56 Post by Dave B » June 21st, 2012, 1:47 pm

Ho, ho, ho (I think)
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#57 Post by Tetenterre » June 21st, 2012, 3:04 pm

Careful the door doesn't hit you on the arse when you leave, Nick! :yahbooh:
Steve

Nick

#58 Post by Nick » June 21st, 2012, 4:38 pm

Thank you for your generous and kind concern for my posterior, TT. :D

Tetenterre

#59 Post by Tetenterre » June 22nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

Don't take it to Tikka 'art! :scorepoint:
Steve

Dave B

#60 Post by Dave B » July 4th, 2012, 12:21 pm

In keeping with my childhood tradition (mainly designed to make my sister say, "Yeuk!")
of making strange sandwiches (Demara sugar and salad cream for example) I have now
invented the -

Spicy Banana Sandwich

Mash a banana and spread it on plain bread (no butter needed).
Sprinkle on a little each of: ground black pepper, ground ginger and ground cinnamon.

Yum.
Me, 2015

Fia

#61 Post by Fia » July 4th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Sounds good, Dave. But you can keep the demerara and salad cream [-X

I have my own variation:
Mash together banana, freshly ground nutmeg and a sloosh of real vanilla essence.
Spread on hot toast - seedy bread is good to get that extra flavour and texture.