INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Jeremy Clarkson

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Nick

Jeremy Clarkson

#1 Post by Nick » December 2nd, 2011, 1:28 pm

So waddya think of Jeremy Clarkson's remarks about the public sector strike? IMO, he was invited onto The One Show to be Jeremy Clarkson. He was not meant to be taken seriously; he certainly didn't take himself seriously. He was making a joke at the BBC's expense. He apologised for any offence caused. The thousands of complaints received are IMO more of a witch-hunt against anyone who does not back the strikes. IMO, if any further action is taken against him, it would be an attack on free speech.

It's interesting to see the venom which has been poured out against him on-line. Many of the comments are far worse than anything Clarkson said.

stevenw888

Re: Jeremy Clarkson

#2 Post by stevenw888 » December 2nd, 2011, 2:57 pm

Although Clarkson is a right-wing fascist who hates diesel cars and Birmingham (2 things that I love) I have a love and respect for him that transcends all political boundaries. I never miss his column in the Sunday Times and always laugh out loud at his car reviews in the same paper. Long may he live!
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Emma Woolgatherer

#3 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » December 2nd, 2011, 3:35 pm

Although I dislike Jeremy Clarkson and everything he stands for, and am rarely amused by his type of humour, and wouldn't mind at all if he sank into ignominy and obscurity, and although I support the strikes, I do agree that there has been a huge overreaction to Clarkson's "joke" (full transcript here), and a misunderstanding or misrepresentation of the point of it.

Emma

jaywhat

#4 Post by jaywhat » December 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm

Agree with Emma, but what shocks me is that no mention seems to have been made about his totally tastless, awful and unacceptable reference to suicides on the railway line. Unless I misheard, he said he was on a train that was delayed because of a body on the line and he could not even see why the train ndded to stop. If the person is dead anyway why hold up everyone who wants to get somewhere important.
How anyone can admire a person like this - or even find him funny I fail to understand.

It is shocking that this has not even been mentioned as far as I can see.

Ninny

#5 Post by Ninny » December 2nd, 2011, 4:21 pm

I've no doubt there are children who watch the One Show, some of them the children of strikers. To recommend that their parents be shot is surely going too far. Late at night, the buffoon can say what he likes. As for what he said about trains delayed by bodies on the line, it was disgusting and offensive and inexcusable. (I really do have a sense of humour, and I'm not a prude, but Clarkson should make men ashamed to be men.)

Tetenterre

#6 Post by Tetenterre » December 2nd, 2011, 6:00 pm

Preamble:
Although I don't subscribe to his views on most things, I do admire his penchant for puncturing pomposity and his general irreverence.

OneShowGate:
It's absolutely clear from the context that he was not being serious and I think those fuckwits who are either too stupid or too malevolent to accept this and are calling for him to be fired, prosecuted, etc. should either get a life or crawl back into whichever hole they usually infest. Also, I understand that the "joke" was pre-arranged with, and possibly instigated by, the show's producer beforehand. If the "joke" is unacceptable, then it is the producer, not Clarkson, who should be being castigated -- but, I guess, since the producer is probably unknown to said fuckwits, s/he is probably immune from the irrational spew that they normally direct at their pet hate-figures.

As for the Trades Union bosses who are getting (undoubtedly very expensive) legal advice on what they can do about it, they might want to spend their members' union dues on something a little more worthwhile -- but, hey, it's not their own lucre, so why the hell should they care?

In general:
Since when are public sector workers deemed to be immune from criticism? Criticising them seems, in what passes for minds in much of the comment I've read on this, to deserve the opprobrium that would fall upon a vicar who was caught pissing in the font at a baptism. It's bloody dangerous when a section of society elevates some cohort above criticism.

Nobody has an inalienable right to stroll through life without being offended.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » December 3rd, 2011, 6:09 am

You sound a bit angry, Tetenterre, and I am not sure whether you are including Ninny and myself among your 'fuckwits'. Unlike quite a few posters here, I do not like Clarkson, but be that as it may, my major point is regarding his comments on railway suicides delaying trains, which was shocking.

Tetenterre

#8 Post by Tetenterre » December 3rd, 2011, 6:56 am

jaywhat wrote:You sound a bit angry, Tetenterre, and I am not sure whether you are including Ninny and myself among your 'fuckwits'. Unlike quite a few posters here, I do not like Clarkson, but be that as it may, my major point is regarding his comments on railway suicides delaying trains, which was shocking.
Not angry, just amazed. Wasn't including anyone here as "fuckwits" (if anyone here called for him to be prosecuted for OneShowGate, I missed it) -- I had in mind a couple of those venal sanctimonious trades union fat-cats. I was commenting only on OneShowGate (i.e. I was responding to Nick's OP), not the railway suicides comment.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#9 Post by animist » December 3rd, 2011, 9:13 am

Clarkson should be shot in front of his children for being an environmentally irresponsible and overpaid loudmouth layabout who does not need a public service pension, he's earning so much already. Only joking. Seriously, he is part of celebrity culture and gets paid to be outrageous - if he were sacked, he would get back somehow (as did Ross and Brand for doing something much worse than what he said)

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » December 3rd, 2011, 9:32 am

Clarkson can be genuinely funny at times IMO, but I wish he would stick to his territory - he can say whatever he likes about diesel cars, Skodas or whatever and have me chuckling away. But steeping into the world of society etc. and using the same type of humour - without using it to highlight a valid argument or cause - is just a person trying to make too much of themselves, whether through insecurity or arrogance, the usual motivations, I am not sure.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#11 Post by Tetenterre » December 3rd, 2011, 1:34 pm

Dave B wrote: is just a person trying to make too much of themselves, whether through insecurity or arrogance, the usual motivations, I am not sure.
What I think you (and a lot of people) are missing, Dave, is that, in this case at least, he was invited onto the One Show and saying something controversial was a sine qua non of the invitation. What he said was agreed with (and possibly suggested by) the producer beforehand.
Steve

thundril

#12 Post by thundril » December 3rd, 2011, 1:56 pm

Tetenterre wrote: the opprobrium that would fall upon a vicar who was caught pissing in the font at a baptism. .
:pointlaugh:
I think you're onto something here, TT! Begin early to teach kids what religion's all about. Any vicar who refuses to piss in the font buring baptism is showing a lack of commitment to the faith, and should be taken outside and. . .

Nick

#13 Post by Nick » December 3rd, 2011, 2:32 pm

I am appalled by the continued outrage about Clarkson. If we are going to say that we should be concerned about children's feelings, then let's ban Coronation Street or East Enders because children may be upset by the deaths and violence. And of course, no more war movies, in case it upsets Germans, no more hospital dramas, in case anyone's children have a parent in hospital, no more stand-up (Jimmy Carr? That Scottish bloke from Mock the Week,) no more news, no more sport in case little Johnny has just lost an egg and spoon race....

The world's gone mad!

Dave B

#14 Post by Dave B » December 3rd, 2011, 3:17 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Dave B wrote: is just a person trying to make too much of themselves, whether through insecurity or arrogance, the usual motivations, I am not sure.
What I think you (and a lot of people) are missing, Dave, is that, in this case at least, he was invited onto the One Show and saying something controversial was a sine qua non of the invitation. What he said was agreed with (and possibly suggested by) the producer beforehand.
Yes, it occurred to be belatedly that this might be the situation - get a controversial figure to say something controversial to get the tongues wagging. No better than print media hype and so called joke headlines from the likes of the Sun.

Still very happy not to take the papers or own a TV!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

petemster

#15 Post by petemster » December 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm

Well, as a former public sector employee currently in receipt of a small pension, and a wholly unrepentant "fuckwit",
let me explain my reasons for calling for Clarkson's sacking.

1. The least objectionable aspect of his performance was the fact that his comments were typically moronic and nasty
even if he himself considered them clever and amusing. No big deal.

2. More seriously, his comments were potentially dangerous. Too many public sector employees (pse's) are subjected
to abuse and violence in their daily jobs. Nobody knows if there are nutters out there who could be incited or
encouraged by Clarkson's rant. Let's just hope not.

3. But my main reason for making a complaint against him was the fact that his remarks were politically motivated.
As a member of an undeserving group of super-rich individuals Clarkson was acting politically. His bosom buddy,
David Cameron, had to distance himself from Clarksons remarks because a politician would be held responsible for
his statements. But not so a media "celebrity" who abuses his privileged status to carry out the government's
dirty work for them.
Apart from belittling the strikers in his usual nasty manner, Clarkson suggested that all pse's receive "gilt-edged
pensions while everybody else has to "work for a living". OK, I did find that bit laughable.
It coincides with the government's campaign to alienate the public workers from the private employees.
They claim that their revised "offer" - a reduction in income of maybe 12% instead of the original 15% - is "very
generous" while being fair to the taxpayer.
Are they implying that public sector workers don't pay tax, or that every single time they buy something, anything,
they are not themselves contributing to private sector pensions ?
Of course not. It's all part of their deceitful political campaign, and Clarkson was just enthusiastically joining in.

If the government really want to show some true leadership, then I suggest that they volunteer to accept the same
reductions in their own pension arrangements as they are planning for the little guys.
OK, I'm only joking. Don't want anybody to be offended.

Tetenterre

#16 Post by Tetenterre » December 3rd, 2011, 6:02 pm

petemster wrote:.
Well, as a former public sector employee currently in receipt of a small pension, and a wholly unrepentant "fuckwit",
Thank you for reinforcing my earlier points: Heap the opprobrium on the hate-figure-of-the-moment and entirely ignore the culpability of the producer who arranged it.

Just so you know: It's not only PSEs that get assaulted in their work, it's not only PSEs whose pensions are worth less, it's not only PSEs that get low pay, it's not only Clarkson that makes politically-motivated comments -- a lot of left-wing celebrities do the same without you moaning about it (and why shouldn't any of us make politically-motivated comments? -- is this some new censorship I hadn't previously been aware of?).

If the TU fat-cats really want to show some true leadership, then I suggest that they volunteer to accept the same
pensions that the least poorly paid of their membership will get (because on what they earn now, they can afford to privately support their own pensions).

I didn't hear the TUs bleating when my pension all but got wiped out by the venal crew in the banks (meaning that I'm going to have to work to 75 at least) but yet we are meant to be all sympathetic because the wheels have come off the PSE pension gravy-train and they are going to have their pensions worse off by a fraction of what many of us have to accept. Diddums.
Steve

petemster

#17 Post by petemster » December 3rd, 2011, 9:24 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
petemster wrote:.
Thank you for reinforcing my earlier points: Heap the opprobrium on the hate-figure-of-the-moment and entirely ignore the culpability of the producer who arranged it.

- Not guilty. I made my complaint to the BBC before Nick started this thread and before there were any suggestions that
anyone else might be implicated. If a producer was in fact party to it, I think they should get a rap on the knuckles, but
should certainly not be sacked. I only said that about Clarkson because he's especially obnoxious. Besides, as Animist
pointed out, it wouldn't have any long term effect, though it would be a nice gesture; futile but nice.

Just so you know: It's not only PSEs that get assaulted in their work, it's not only PSEs whose pensions are worth less, it's not only PSEs that get low pay, it's not only Clarkson that makes politically-motivated comments -- a lot of left-wing celebrities do the same without you moaning about it (and why shouldn't any of us make politically-motivated comments? -- is this some new censorship I hadn't previously been aware of?).

- Guilty as charged, M'Lud. Well, partly guilty. I do tend to be a bit left wing. It's the humanist in me. You know, the thing
that makes me wish that the world could be a better place, society fairer, and that individuals could be a bit more respectful and considerate towards their fellow human beings.
Regarding left wing celebrities I can only think of one, that's Billy Bragg, but he says that everything is political, so
you do know where he's coming from and you can agree with him or not. He's very open and honest about it.
Oh, and I've just remembered Cheryl Cole. I didn't actually know who she was until the last general election, when I was
really impressed by her statement that she'd never vote for 'sleazy' David Cameron. Now I think I love her.

If the TU fat-cats really want to show some true leadership, then I suggest that they volunteer to accept the same
pensions that the least poorly paid of their membership will get (because on what they earn now, they can afford to privately support their own pensions).

I didn't hear the TUs bleating when my pension all but got wiped out by the venal crew in the banks (meaning that I'm going to have to work to 75 at least) but yet we are meant to be all sympathetic because the wheels have come off the PSE pension gravy-train and they are going to have their pensions worse off by a fraction of what many of us have to accept. Diddums.

- I don't think this is the right place to discuss what has happened to your pension, and to my life-savings, as a result of the
economic crash brought about by the uncontrolled greed of the bankers who continue to pay themselves huge salaries
and bonuses in various forms.
Let me just say that I have a very low opinion of all "fat-cats" whether they are bankers, politicians, celebrities or Trade
Union leaders. Repeat, or Trade Union leaders.

Well, all this typing has made me thirsty. I'm off down the pub. Won't be doing any more typing before tomorrow at the
earliest.

thundril

#18 Post by thundril » December 3rd, 2011, 9:39 pm

petemster wrote: Let me just say that I have a very low opinion of all "fat-cats" whether they are bankers, politicians, celebrities or Trade
Union leaders. Repeat, or Trade Union leaders.

Well, all this typing has made me thirsty. I'm off down the pub. Won't be doing any more typing before tomorrow at the
earliest.
Well said, Petemster. Enjoy the pint!

Nick

#19 Post by Nick » December 3rd, 2011, 9:41 pm

Stephen Fry has just suggested, on QI, stabbing people in the stomach. I await, with baited breath, the 21,000 complaints from all those who think that people shouldn't be stabbed in the stomach.

In the absence of any complaints whatsoever, I feel we can conclude that the attacks on Clarkson are a load of political bollox.

Grrrr!

Dave B

#20 Post by Dave B » December 3rd, 2011, 11:13 pm

But ALL politics is bollox, Nick! So how could it be otherwise?
Me, 2015