INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

United Humanity

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Compassionist

United Humanity

#1 Post by Compassionist » July 14th, 2007, 10:08 pm

I have a dream where all humans are united because of our shared humanity. How can we make this dream a reality? Unless we can unite and co-operate, we are going to destroy ourselves, as well as many other species. Any ideas?

kbell

#2 Post by kbell » July 14th, 2007, 10:49 pm

The first problem with your dream is that it isn't everybody's dream. Some people aren't really interested in the future of humankind whereas others might dream of all people united, not because of our shared humanity but because everyone has embraced the same religion.

However, many of us do have that same dream. Sometimes it seems an impossible dream. The only way to make it seem achievable is to break it down into small parts and do what we can in the areas we think we are best suited to. We all have a responsibility to do our bit and to persuade others to do theirs.

Do you have any ideas yourself, Compassionist?

Firebrand

#3 Post by Firebrand » July 15th, 2007, 6:21 am

It's all about consciousness raising and getting through to people. I remember when I was a child being appalled at how casual racism was socially acceptable. It was perfectly alright to tell a racist joke in civilised company. Somehow that has changed over the years in a way I never thought possible. Change happens but it happens too slowly and people who were passionate about the state of the world in their youth either lose that passion as they get older or become a bit eccentric.

I'm rambling...I should shut up.

Compassionist

Problems and Solutions

#4 Post by Compassionist » July 15th, 2007, 8:07 am

:smile:

Compassionist

Raising Awareness

#5 Post by Compassionist » July 15th, 2007, 8:15 am

:smile:

God
Banned

Re: Raising Awareness

#6 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 10:41 am

Compassionist wrote: Some people do give up on their idealism, some people do become eccentric recluses but not everyone gives up.
Some folk get canny about it and slip bits of idealism through under the radar, some folk get practical and try and shift heaven and earth with a bucket and spade (as it were), some get jobs which involve improving aspects of the environment, some prefer to engage in wishful thinking or write poetry about it ... the ways are many and varied and not all are spoken of loud and clear.

The thing I've come to realise is that all views are valid and everybody counts. Even totally selfish gits and unaware fools - I know it's hard but it has to be. It's a matter of perception and understanding one's position vis-a-vis everything else. Not everyone is able to share the same vision - which is probably a good thing, although sometimes difficult to figure out how.

I suppose, in the end, it is a matter of faith - but not the kind of gushy faith preached by religion, and not blind faith, but faith in the capability for improvement to be brought about by means such as positive collective action. (XR Polly Toynbee elsewhere).

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#7 Post by Maria Mac » July 18th, 2007, 2:00 pm

Compassionist

I've spent a few minutes browsing your very nice website. If I understand where you're coming from correctly, you are feeling a very strong imperative to do whatever you can to...if you'll forgive the cliche...make the world a better place. You are idealistic but there is nothing wrong with that. People only make a difference if they chase ideals.

I'm not clear about the nature of your organisation. Is it a membership organisation or would you like to make it one? Have you considered seeking charitable status? I note you have a long list of objectives, any one of which would be a legitimate charity object. Do you have any source of funding?

The last question is probably the one that counts most. You need money to fund projects - without money you can only get involved in projects initiated by others and offer whatever you: time, skills, experience, ideas. It sounds as if you're already doing this, in which case I would say that is all you can do at present. It might seem like a drop in the ocean to you, but without lots of little drops, there wouldn't be an ocean.

Compassionist

#8 Post by Compassionist » August 1st, 2007, 2:06 pm

:)