INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Are you a humanist or what?

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Gurdur

#21 Post by Gurdur » July 16th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick wrote:Perhaps we should all be called Godfrey....
Please, no. There is a poster on the net called godfrey n.glad, the pun is clear, but he's one of the most pathetic, bitter, whining wankers I've ever encountered.

God
Banned

#22 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Gurdur2 wrote: There is a poster on the net called godfrey n.glad, the pun is clear, but he's one of the most pathetic, bitter, whining wankers I've ever encountered.
Poor chap! Perhaps you should persuade him to take up a religion, in order to "discover his true self".

perry

Humanist and what.

#23 Post by perry » July 16th, 2007, 2:16 pm

fluffy liberal free thinking agnostic or atheist depending on how bad a day I've had.
Perry

God
Banned

Re: Humanist and what.

#24 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 3:49 pm

perry wrote:fluffy liberal free thinking agnostic or atheist depending on how bad a day I've had.
Which signifies the worse day?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#25 Post by Maria Mac » July 16th, 2007, 3:51 pm

perry wrote:fluffy liberal free thinking agnostic or atheist depending on how bad a day I've had.
Now that, I can relate to. Welcome, Perry!

:wave:

God
Banned

#26 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Maria wrote:
Now that, I can relate to. Welcome, Perry!

:wave:
:puzzled:
Which signifies the worse day?

perry

#27 Post by perry » July 16th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome - a bad day is a day where I get to hear how great god is from my work mates, a worse day is when they start singing shine jesus shine!
Perry

Alan C.

#28 Post by Alan C. » July 16th, 2007, 8:47 pm

perry wrote:Thanks for the welcome - a bad day is a day where I get to hear how great god is from my work mates, a worse day is when they start singing shine jesus shine!
Bloody hell! How do you come to be working in a Monastery?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

God
Banned

#29 Post by God » July 16th, 2007, 9:14 pm

perry wrote: a bad day is a day where I get to hear how great god is from my work mates, ...
And how great is the old fellah nowadays? :wink:
Then perry wrote: ... a worse day is when they start singing shine jesus shine!
Jesus being the Mexican guy who cleans the pots and pans? Or is he the window cleaner? I agree, it's not fair of your workmates to taunt him like that! I'm sure he's doing his best. :grin:

perry

#30 Post by perry » July 16th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Alan C wrote:
Bloody hell! How do you come to be working in a Monastery?

Hard work and a good disguise - infiltrating the enemy camp and sneaking copies of The God Delusion onto the pews!

Actually I work in education/training but many of the staff are evangelical fools. If they hear a clap of thunder they shout "praise jesus". They think George Bush is a great man too.

And these people are allowed near children!!!
Perry

Titanium Wheels

#31 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 16th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Hi there Perry!

Do these Christian really start praising Jesus when thunder claps arise or other things? They must be very pentecostal to be doing that. Perhaps you ought to come up with alternate things to shout like "Paise Faraday" with lightening!
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

perry

#32 Post by perry » July 16th, 2007, 10:51 pm

Wheels, I may have exagerated a little - they do have a pray before they start work. They work together and worship together, luckily it isn't a pre-requisite of my employment to join them.
Perry

Miisanthrope

#33 Post by Miisanthrope » July 20th, 2007, 5:21 pm

I am an

Atheist - though most of my life it has been a sort of state of post-theism rather than active, conscious atheism. Some like to call that agosticism, and so did I at a younger age, but it isn't really.

Existentialist/absurdist - I know they are not the same thing, but I fluctuate.

Naturalist - as in a believer in the natural world. I keep confusing it with the term for nudist so I don't use the word much. Not that I have anything against nudists, though. But it is cold here.

Reductionist - usually thrown around as a term of condemnation, I have taken to wearing it with pride.

Freethinker - Sort of goes with some of the others, but good to mention separately as that is the ideology I hope to raise my kids with.

Misanthrope - Not really the thing to be in a humanist forum, good thing you are all so nice or else I just might be facing a tarring and feathering. Or tarring, at least.

Jem

#34 Post by Jem » October 9th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Time to bump this thread to draw attention to Sam Harris article:

The Problem with Atheism
So, let me make my somewhat seditious proposal explicit: We should not call ourselves “atheists.” We should not call ourselves “secularists.” We should not call ourselves “humanists,” or “secular humanists,” or “naturalists,” or “skeptics,” or “anti-theists,” or “rationalists,” or “freethinkers,” or “brights.” We should not call ourselves anything. We should go under the radar—for the rest of our lives. And while there, we should be decent, responsible people who destroy bad ideas wherever we find them.

Now, it just so happens that religion has more than its fair share of bad ideas. And it remains the only system of thought, where the process of maintaining bad ideas in perpetual immunity from criticism is considered a sacred act. This is the act of faith. And I remain convinced that religious faith is one of the most perverse misuses of intelligence we have ever devised. So we will, inevitably, continue to criticize religious thinking. But we should not define ourselves and name ourselves in opposition to such thinking.
My own feelings is that he goes too far. I agree with the argument against calling oneself an atheist as one's main label but I don't particularly think the same argument applies to the word 'humanist' because humanism is a positive philosophy, it's not just atheism or secularism.

Lord Muck oGentry

#35 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » October 9th, 2007, 11:29 pm

I don't mind atheist, secularist, humanist, naturalist.

But above all I'm a Resistentialist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism

Moonbeam

#36 Post by Moonbeam » October 12th, 2007, 2:53 pm

What with his desire that we all join him under the radar and his defence of torture, I'm beginning to think SH is a bit of a twat.
Lord Muck oGentry wrote:I don't mind atheist, secularist, humanist, naturalist.

But above all I'm a Resistentialist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism
Wow! Yep, I'm definitely one of them.
Resistentialism is a theory in which inanimate objects display hostile desires towards human beings. For example, objects that cause problems (like lost keys or a fleeing bouncy ball) exhibit a high degree of resistentialism. In other words, a war is being fought between humans and inanimate objects, and all the little annoyances objects give people throughout the day are battles between the two
:laughter:

DougS

Re: Are you a humanist or what?

#37 Post by DougS » March 3rd, 2008, 8:55 pm

I came across this old thread which I missed at the time. If I'd seen it six months ago I probably would have said 'atheist' is what I call myself but nowadays I'm calling myself a humanist and I'd be interested to know how other people label themselves.

Alan C.

Re: Are you a humanist or what?

#38 Post by Alan C. » March 3rd, 2008, 9:45 pm

DougS wrote:I came across this old thread which I missed at the time. If I'd seen it six months ago I probably would have said 'atheist' is what I call myself but nowadays I'm calling myself a humanist and I'd be interested to know how other people label themselves.
Secular Humanist, Atheist, Anti-theist :angry: depending on my mood, who's asking, and why.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re:

#39 Post by Maria Mac » March 3rd, 2008, 9:57 pm

Maria wrote:
wheels5894 wrote:Atheist, definitely and secularist. i suppose Humanist too though I'm not sure I like the label after recent events. (Oh and I ingacquired an MTheol in 1996)
I'm having trouble with the whole humanism thing at the moment too. I used to answer this question by saying that I liked to call myself a 'humanist' because people often don't understand the term and that gave me the excuse to explain. But now I'm having some doubts about it all.

I used to hate the Brights thing - and I'm still uncomfortable about the name - but we've been going to the Glasgow Brights meetings and they're a great bunch.

I had stopped calling myself an atheist partly because I don't like to define myself in relation to what I don't believe in and also because I don't like how a lot of atheists come across.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about labels.
Thanks for bumping this thread. I'd forgotten I ever made the comment above. I'm happy to say I overcame my doubts and still call myself a humanist.

MHB

Re:

#40 Post by MHB » March 3rd, 2008, 11:13 pm

I'm an "Iamist". :happyclappy:

Alan H

Re: Re:

#41 Post by Alan H » March 4th, 2008, 12:11 am

MHB wrote:I'm an "Iamist".
They make dog food, don't they? :shrug:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?