INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Why debate?

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Alan C.

Re: Why debate?

#21 Post by Alan C. » October 27th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

peterangus
You are unlikely to influence the diehards who oppose you in debate.
Hi Peter, in case you are not aware, David A Robertson is a "wee free" minister, you know? the kind that won't switch on a light on the "sabbath", they prepare Sunday dinner before midnight Saturday, and lock up the swings and roundabouts in the playparks on Sundays.
If you have some spare time, and you want a giggle, google him, I have crossed swords with him many times and while I know it's futile to debate him, it's fun nonetheless. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

peterangus

#22 Post by peterangus » October 27th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Do the busses in Dundee carry adverts?
Peter Angus

Alan H

#23 Post by Alan H » October 27th, 2008, 10:56 pm

peterangus wrote:Do the busses in Dundee carry adverts?
I like the way you think! (That's the second time today I've said that!)
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lukanator

#24 Post by lukanator » October 28th, 2008, 10:50 am

Thomas wrote:Something I read on another website has made me question the purpose of debating with believers about God. I won't say what it was yet. I want to find out the opinions of people here about whether you really think it's worthwhile spending the time and energy debating with religious believers who generally seem to me to be unwilling to budge on any religious issue. Do you actually think it is possible to deconvert people through debate or are you just interested in honing your debating skills? And can you honestly say you keep an open mind and consider everything your opponent says?
There's nothing to prove to people who subscribe to religion, in my opinion, so debate is pointless. In my limited experience trying to discuss religion objectively with the "devout" more often than not results in them shutting down, turning off like a switch. You can almost watch people short circuit when you threaten their happiness...take away a crackhead's crack pipe, and he may kill you. Threaten religion with reason, and you'll see a similar seething, primal rage.

The problem I have with debate in general is that for the relevant parties, these debates are usually over before they've begun and both sides declare victory.

Enlightenment has to come from within, developed from an internal locus of control. Religion is external, like cocaine or heroin or any other drug which is a gateway to religion.

Alan C.

#25 Post by Alan C. » November 13th, 2011, 1:11 pm

I've just found out that David Robertson (much mentioned in this thread) has a life threatening lung condition, while I personally can't stand him I wish him the best and hope he recovers.

Annoying thing is; if he does get well god will get the credit.

Update on the condition of David Robertson, Pastor of St. Peters FPC of Dundee, Scotland.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

david house

#26 Post by david house » March 17th, 2012, 11:23 am

I debate regularly with Catholics, in fact pretty much every day. The blog I am currently on is un-moderated and to his credit, the blog owner seems to enjoy the challenge of an alternative viewpoint. Some of his contributors hate me with a passion you can only imagine. Only today I was told my posts were filth and full of the "culture of death". This was in response to a post in which I quite calmly had pointed out why the UDHR does not support their claims about same sex marriage. I am polite but firm. I am the sole voice opposing their views so get very out numbered. I have been banned from 3 Catholic forums for not abiding by their rules, which effectively include always agreeing with them.

I think it is really important that we debate with them, especially at the moment during the co-ordinated attack which is going on. They need to come face to face with their hypocracy and hear the voices of reason. They need to know it's not the "aggressive secularists" who are determined to ruin the country (a favourite charge of theirs) or the "violent gay lobby" determined to force same sex marriage on an unwilling general public. They truly believe they are doing the rest of us a favour and it must be up to us to show them they aren't.

phalarope

#27 Post by phalarope » March 18th, 2012, 9:44 am

What's all this? Humanists are supposed to be ethnologists, detached, observers of cultures. You should be keeping your distance. Instead you are becoming the observed. You seem to have forgotten the rule of detachment. This thread is more about blood sports, who you have picked off, cornered, got the better of. It's all about enculturation, religion as false consciousness, not how to get the advantage or put someone down. This thread seems to be an emulation of much that is not humanist. Think on.

lewist

#28 Post by lewist » March 18th, 2012, 11:50 am

phalarope wrote:What's all this? Humanists are supposed to be ethnologists, detached, observers of cultures. You should be keeping your distance. Instead you are becoming the observed. You seem to have forgotten the rule of detachment. This thread is more about blood sports, who you have picked off, cornered, got the better of. It's all about enculturation, religion as false consciousness, not how to get the advantage or put someone down. This thread seems to be an emulation of much that is not humanist. Think on.
Can you give us a link to your Humanist rule book, Phalarope? I agree we should be civilised, and sometimes debating can become a game, but for me one of the best things about Humanism is that we are individuals. I don't think it is about blood sports - well not quite anyway - but some feel a need to engage the religious and I don't think we should criticise those who come out of the shelter.

Have you noticed, by the way, that this is a very old thread, bumped by AlanC in October 2011 with his post about David Robertson?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

George McFly

#29 Post by George McFly » April 24th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Debate is great. I do not have much knowledge and am not that learned and I admit this but I have good critical reasoning. I like the opportunity to debate. It fills in the gaps of knowledge for me. I will go into a debate open to learn and looking to further my own knowledge rather than boost my ego. It is a wonderful exercise. Like a streetfight where you can not really assess your opponent, less bloody and dangerous though :laughter: I am too old for that kind of thing nowdays.