INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

How to shut an atheist up

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Jem

How to shut an atheist up

#1 Post by Jem » October 26th, 2007, 5:49 pm

How to shut an atheist up if you must
The atheist’s days of running circles around the Christian with their darling questions are drawing to a close. Yes, the fat lady just wrenched herself off her humongous backside, has cleared her throat and now is fixin’ to sing the finale on the atheist’s ability to have fun with their specious little fairy tales at the Christians’ expense.

Oxfordrocks

#2 Post by Oxfordrocks » October 26th, 2007, 8:56 pm

It' gotta be a wind-up.

right?????? :sad:
There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating staying in EU.

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of staying in the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens will be caused by leaving EU?
3. Should the supreme court ruling on British subjects be based in UK?

Lord Muck oGentry

#3 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » October 27th, 2007, 2:11 am

"1. When the prissy anti-Christs tell you the Bible stands in the way of science, inform them that the greatest scientific geniuses in history were devout Christians-and scientists from Newton to Einstein insisted that biblical religion provided the key ideas from which experimental science could develop.
2. When the pissy God haters tell you the Bible condones slavery, you can remind them that slavery was abolished only when devout Christians, inspired by the Bible, launched a campaign in the early 1800s to abolish the slave trade.
3. When the screechin’ teachers tell you the Bible has been proven false by archaeology, hark back and show them that each year a new archaeological discovery substantiates the existence of people, places and events we once knew solely from biblical sources, including the discovery of the Moabite stone in 1868, which mentions numerous places in the Bible, and the discovery of an inscription in 1961 that proves the existence of the biblical figure Pontius Pilate, just to name a few.
4. When they get sweaty and tell you that the Bible breeds intolerance, refresh their memory with the fact that only those societies influenced by biblical teachings (in North and South America, Europe, and Australia) today guarantee freedom of speech and religion. Period.
5. When one of them queues up and quips that the Bible opposes freedom, smack ‘em with the fact that the Bible’s insistence that no one is above the law and all must answer to divine justice led to theories of universal human rights and…uh…limited government.
6. When they tell you that Christianity and the Bible justify war and genocide, unsympathetically remind them that societies which rejected biblical morality in favor of a more “rational” and “scientific” approach to politics murdered millions upon millions more than the Crusades or the Inquisition ever did. Hello. “Atheist regimes have caused the greatest mass murders in history,” says D’Souza. Inside D’Souza’s book you’ll find little gems like, “The Crusades, the Inquisition, the Galileo affair, and witch hunts together make up less than 1% of the murders that have occurred during modern atheist regimes like Stalin, Hitler, and Mao.”

:pointlaugh:

Help me out, you chaps. How do you spell non sequitur?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » October 27th, 2007, 11:43 am

Lord Muck oGentry wrote:Help me out, you chaps. How do you spell non sequitur?
Non-sense!

tehabwa

Re: How to shut an atheist up

#5 Post by tehabwa » October 29th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Jem wrote:How to shut an atheist up if you must
The atheist’s days of running circles around the Christian with their darling questions are drawing to a close. Yes, the fat lady just wrenched herself off her humongous backside, has cleared her throat and now is fixin’ to sing the finale on the atheist’s ability to have fun with their specious little fairy tales at the Christians’ expense.
Uh, so where and what is the song?

To what is this referring?

Jem

#6 Post by Jem » October 29th, 2007, 5:07 pm

tehabwa

Have you perhaps not realised that the words in red are a link to the article from which I have quoted?

Nick

#7 Post by Nick » October 29th, 2007, 5:37 pm

I may be mistaken, but I think tehabwa was referring to the fat lady analogy.

To clear up the question, with unusual certainty, have a look at The Straight Dope

Jem

#8 Post by Jem » October 29th, 2007, 5:52 pm

If that's the case, I apologise for the misunderstanding.

tehabwa

#9 Post by tehabwa » October 29th, 2007, 5:54 pm

:redface:

oops! No, I hadn't.

So that bunch o' sludge is going to shut me up, is it? Given that those aren't the arguments I use, I don't see how.

Uh, I'm unfamiliar with the site linked to, but is it by a 10-yr-old? An especially immature 10-yr-old?

I think I'll go back to Yahoo Answers, where I can expect to face "So, if we eloved frm munkys, did pig elove form birds?" [sic, for all the errors -- it's a fairly faithful recreation].

The fat lady didn't so much sing, as squeek!

Jem

#10 Post by Jem » October 29th, 2007, 6:04 pm

So I hadn't misunderstood? In that case I take back the apology. :grin:

Nick

#11 Post by Nick » October 29th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Well, Jem, looks like it was me! :redface: Never mind, the link is interesting anyway. :thumbsup: