INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The failure of the BHA.

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Alan H

Re: The failure of the BHA.

#41 Post by Alan H » January 28th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

coffee wrote:>>Based on my experience, yes they can<<

No where on the BHA website said that.

I want to know exactly what the bha doing or their values are written down on their website so that I don't have to guess what they believe or doing or not doing. Right now that is not happening. Or are the one that I am not interested in eg churches bashing
It appears to me there is still confusion between what the BHA does and what, for example, local groups do - and what other humanists do. The BHA doesn't need to oversee this, provide guidelines for this or provide any quality control. The CofE may well do that, but that's up to them. So I'm still sure any case has been made for a failure of the BHA in any of this.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fia

#42 Post by Fia » January 29th, 2017, 12:23 am

I offer an anecdote that may or may not help:

As a member and Celebrant with the Humanist Society Scotland for nearly 2 decades and known in my community as their "Huminister" I was introduced to the new Episcopal - CofE disnae work in Scotland! - vicar. With "this is Fia, but you won't like her as she's against all religion." :shock: I warmly shook vicar's hand and said I had no problem with individual believers but did with religious institutions. She said "me too" and we hugged. We now work together in our community with mutual respect, as together we can achieve more, both of us meeting where we agree. I still rail against indoctrination and she thinks Jesus loves me. Yet we work together for the benefit of our community.

That's Humanism. Yes, I'm anti religion, but I'm not anti individual believer. Delicate distinction yet the BHA and HSS understand this.

coffee

#43 Post by coffee » January 30th, 2017, 6:19 am

I offer an anecdote that may or may not help:
Yes a little but not much, but I generally to assess people or organization whether religious or not with these values here http://www.nycnvc.org/wp-content/upload ... 8-15.2.pdf as well as common sense, and so far churches values are still ahead when compare to the BHA

Stark

#44 Post by Stark » January 30th, 2017, 4:42 pm

coffee wrote:...I generally to assess people or organization whether religious or not with these values here http://www.nycnvc.org/wp-content/upload ... 8-15.2.pdf as well as common sense, and so far churches values are still ahead when compare to the BHA
How anyone can think institutions that systematically discriminate against LGBT people, work to deny women control over their reproductive rights, have covered up child abuse and discriminate against people on the basis of their religion or belief are somehow ‘better’ that the BHA is beyond me.

coffee

#45 Post by coffee » January 30th, 2017, 6:21 pm

How anyone can think institutions that systematically discriminate against LGBT people, work to deny women control over their reproductive rights, have covered up child abuse and discriminate against people on the basis of their religion or belief are somehow ‘better’ that the BHA is beyond me.
That for you to sort it out. I just want to get on with living my life now.

jaywhat

#46 Post by jaywhat » February 4th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I feel it is wrong to have a topic in 'think humanism' with such a title. The BHA may not be perfect but it is not a failure by any means. As a 'retired' officiant and a life member I feel loyal to the BHA. I was greatly relieved when I first came upon it all those years ago when I was without direction and rather in a slough of despond.

Alan H

#47 Post by Alan H » February 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

jaywhat wrote:I feel it is wrong to have a topic in 'think humanism' with such a title.
It may not be wrong, but it's certainly odd. I asked Paul about this before, but never got an answer.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Zeff

#48 Post by Zeff » February 10th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Paul Smith wrote:...Humanism has nothing to do with opposing religion or religious privilege...
So it has nothing to do with morality? Good people should stand aside? That was essentially the misunderstanding that prompted Paul to start the thread and, hopefully, that has now been cleared up. It is the unnecessary divide between those who just want to talk humanism and encourage philanthropy on one hand and those who want campaigning and civic participation on the other. They aren't mutually exclusive.