INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Christopher Hitchens | Awesome Hammer Blow! (Video)

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Woody68

Christopher Hitchens | Awesome Hammer Blow! (Video)

#1 Post by Woody68 » April 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I’ve not seen this before so was in awe at his response to a cocky audience member!

Christopher Hitchens delivers awesome hammer-blow to cocky audience member! Superb stuff!

Dave B

Re: Christopher Hitchens | Awesome Hammer Blow! (Video)

#2 Post by Dave B » April 4th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Good piece, but an example of the old saying (can't remember the author), "An hour's talk I can do immediately, if you want a five minutes one I will need a week's notice."

OK, Hitch's talk was not that long but it could have been oh so much punchier if Hitch had not reiterated so much. He was a better thinker and academic than he was an orator.

Still; Hitch 1 Reliognistas 0 for that one. And, as usual, Mr Religionista did not like the response at all, you are just not supposed to use their holy things against them.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » April 9th, 2013, 5:33 pm

I'm very familiar with this clip. I think I've probably seen everything of Hitch which as ever been posted!
Dave B wrote:Good piece, but an example of the old saying (can't remember the author), "An hour's talk I can do immediately, if you want a five minutes one I will need a week's notice."
Can't remember offhand, but I think the original was a letter, not a talk.... :)
OK, Hitch's talk was not that long but it could have been oh so much punchier if Hitch had not reiterated so much. He was a better thinker and academic than he was an orator.
D'ya think so? I love his voice and his delivery! Though it makes me want to reach for an alcoholic drink, for some reason...! :D I don't agree with everthing he says or writes, but I really value his tendency to make one stop and think about matters on which one might have pre-conceived ideas. What a tragedy that he is not still around .... I miss him.

Tetenterre

#4 Post by Tetenterre » April 9th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Nick wrote:Can't remember offhand, but I think the original was a letter, not a talk.... :)
Often attributed (by the sceptics, in particular) to Mark Twain, but the original is Blaise Pascal: "The present letter is a very long one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter." (except it was in French :grin:)

And I miss Hitch as well...

Tab on Tapatalk
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » April 10th, 2013, 11:10 am

Oops. Bloody autocorrect on the tab strikes again!

sceptics septics
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.