INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

The land of the free

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Chineapple punk

The land of the free

#1 Post by Chineapple punk » September 12th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Griffin Attacked for Award Show Remarks

Comedienne Kathy Griffin has come under fire from a former TV costar for joking about Jesus at the Creative Emmy Awards on Saturday night. The funnywoman, who claimed the Outstanding Reality Programm prize for her show Kathy Griffin: My Life On The D-List, upset Christians by poking fun at her peers who thanked Christ for their good fortune. In her acceptance speech, Griffin quipped, "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus... This award is my God now." Griffin's comments have upset her former Suddenly Susan co-star Sherri Shepherd, who is also a stand-up comic. On TV show The View on Tuesday morning, Shepherd raged, "I love Kathy but I was trying to text her, 'Girl, you know you ain't supposed to be saying no mess like that.' There's just a line that you shouldn't cross, there's a reverence for God that we should have." Griffin's taped acceptance speech will be heavily censored when it airs at the official Emmy Awards on Sunday. Officials at the Catholic League, a U.S. anti-defamation group, called on Emmy bosses to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment" at Sunday's ceremony.
Source: imdb

You've got to laugh or you would cry at this. :pointlaugh:
Give quiche a chance.

Never

#2 Post by Never » September 12th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Chineapple punk wrote:....You've got to laugh or you would cry at this
That about sums it up. :sad:

Moonbeam

#3 Post by Moonbeam » September 12th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I hope that speech gets posted on You tube. I've just been looking at some of her stuff on there - she's pretty funny!

:laughter:

Chineapple punk

#4 Post by Chineapple punk » September 12th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Yeh, I think she's really funny too. She just doesn't give a toss, which is quite refreshing when she is on some of the American cable channels.

It's actually pretty disturbing to think remarks like this would cause such a stooshy. I bet she will effectively be blacklisted by several TV execs.
Give quiche a chance.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » September 12th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Chineapple punk wrote:It's actually pretty disturbing to think remarks like this would cause such a stooshy.
Yes...What's up with them? Remember Janet Jackson's nipple...it has now reached the Court of Appeal...

********************************************************************************
Janet Jackson’s ‘Nipplegate’ reaches court of appeal - Times Online
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 434811.ece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janet Jackson’s ‘Nipplegate’ reaches court of appeal
Chris Ayres in Los Angeles

An indecency case resulting from the fleeting exposure of Janet Jackson’s right nipple to 90 million Super Bowl viewers made it to the 3rd US Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia yesterday, three years after the event.

In what many regard as one of the more absurd legal cases in recent US history, the court will decide whether “Nipplegate” was an intentional act of broadcasting indecency or merely, as Jackson contends, an accidental “wardrobe malfunction”.

CBS, the television network that broadcast the show, is challenging the $550,000 (£270,000) fine imposed by the broadcasting watchdog, claiming that “fleeting, isolated or unintended” images should not automatically be considered indecent.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) argues that “even relatively fleeting references may be found indecent where other factors contribute”. Eric Miller, the lawyer representing the FCC in court, said: “The idea of an exception for fleeting nudity flies in the face of common sense.”

In its appeal, CBS said that it “did not know about [Nipplegate] in advance; did not sanction it; and took steps to prevent anything at odds with broadcast standards”.

The glimpse of Jackson’s nipple — complete with sun-shaped nipple ring — came during the 2004 half-time Super Bowl show, when another performer, Justin Timberlake, pulled off part of Jackson’s bustier, prompting a reported 540,000 complaints to the FCC. A later Associated Press poll suggested that only 18 per cent of Americans supported the FCC’s subsequent investigation of the network.

Nipplegate has become something of a test of the federal Government’s ability to regulate broadcast indecency, especially after the FCC was found by a court in New York to have acted “arbitrarily and capriciously” by attempting to penalise the Fox Network over strong language used by Cher and Nicole Richie at the 2002 and 2003 Billboard Music Awards respectively. Fox is owned by News Corporation, parent company of The Times.

“The FCC’s new zero-tolerance policy has already had a chilling effect on the broadcast industry, particularly television,” Robert Corn-Revere, a lawyer for CBS, said last night.

Although the case was rejected on technical grounds, the court says it was sceptical that the FCC could overcome free speech arguments to support its policy on “fleeting expletives”. The FCC is considering an appeal to the Supreme Court. A Senate committee is working on legislation to back up the FCC and has approved the Protecting Children from Indecent Programming Act, which would require the FCC “to maintain a policy that a single word or image may be considered indecent”.

[Captured: 12 September 2007 16:48:12]

###################

Chineapple punk

#6 Post by Chineapple punk » September 12th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Utter madness!
Give quiche a chance.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » September 12th, 2007, 5:15 pm

It's only a nipple for goodness sake!

At least I'm going to California and not somewhere in the bible belt!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#8 Post by Maria Mac » October 17th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Moonbeam wrote:I hope that speech gets posted on You tube. I've just been looking at some of her stuff on there - she's pretty funny!

:laughter:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re-8MeEBUJ8

Alan H

Re: The land of the free

#9 Post by Alan H » May 5th, 2009, 6:43 pm

This is still going on!

Jackson flash to be re-examined

Comment from The Melon Farmers (anti-censorship watchdog):
The order follows a high court ruling last week that upheld the FCC's policy that subjects broadcasters to fines against even single uses of swear words on live television. Last year, the appeals court threw out the fine against CBS, saying that as the incident lasted nine-sixteenths of one second, it should have been regarded as "fleeting".
Yep! the whole thing lasted just over half a second!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

#10 Post by Ken H » May 7th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Then we turn to the travel channel and get full frontal nudity of an Amazon tribe. [-X
:moon:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

lukanator

#11 Post by lukanator » May 13th, 2009, 7:19 am

Stupidity in numbers will win a few battles but it will always lose the war. Some people are born, live and die as evolutionary speed bumps.

thundril

#12 Post by thundril » May 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Pity about thobjections from the RC group. I've always thought that, of all the god-believers, Catholics were up ther with the jews in the self-mockery stakes. Is Buddha the only god that likes a good laugh? Oh, no, there's Loki, Pan, Anansi. . ..