INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Good video links

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Dave B

Re: Good video links

#221 Post by Dave B » January 11th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Excellent, demonstrated well that the one thing that is worse than an utter fool is an utterly sincere fool! The religionistas made a mockery of themselves, but do not have the insight to understand why.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Altfish

#222 Post by Altfish » January 11th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Dave B wrote:Excellent, demonstrated well that the one thing that is worse than an utter fool is an utterly sincere fool! The religionistas made a mockery of themselves, but do not have the insight to understand why.
What you said

Gottard

#223 Post by Gottard » January 13th, 2015, 11:03 am

Alan H wrote:BBC's The Big Question this morning:
Stunning how, in the 21 century, a man in his 25-30s in his white costume can utter such troglodyte-styled words.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Dave B

#224 Post by Dave B » January 13th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Oi, Gottard, don't insult the troglodytes - just 'cos they live in the dark . . .

:D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gottard

#225 Post by Gottard » January 14th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Dave B wrote:Oi, Gottard, don't insult the troglodytes - just 'cos they live in the dark . . .
:thumbsup:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Alan H

#226 Post by Alan H » January 14th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Dave B wrote:Oi, Gottard, don't insult the troglodytes - just 'cos they live in the dark . . .

I think an interesting question - although one that won't be answered - is whether the BBC knew his views beforehand and wanted him there to a) make fun of him or b) give air time to express views that might be held by others and that would benefit from airing.

I suspect they knew his views - whether they knew the specifics of what he spouted - and had him on to provide 'balance'. If this is the case, then I see this as simply playing to the ratings. If this is the case, I see no societal benefit from it - it's all just a bit like Prime Minister's question time. One day, we may all grow up.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#227 Post by Altfish » January 14th, 2015, 1:09 pm

I wonder how many people actually hold similar beliefs, which basically is "Atheist = Devil Worshipper"

Dave B

#228 Post by Dave B » January 14th, 2015, 1:50 pm

I have to agree, the programme's motives are a tad suspect here.

I have never really seen this prog as a 100% serious debating forum, like a sort of low level Jerry Springer Show format - as much theatre than anything else.

But, it does attract some serious people apparently and one needs those at the extremes of each subject to properly illustrate it - oh, and provide the theatre!
Me, 2015

Gottard

#229 Post by Gottard » January 15th, 2015, 1:39 pm

I suspect they knew his views - whether they knew the specifics of what he spouted - and had him on to provide 'balance'. If this is the case, then I see this as simply playing to the ratings. If this is the case, I see no societal benefit from it - it's all just a bit like Prime Minister's question time. One day, we may all grow up.
I am not so negative about BBC balancing the view of speakers/spouters. It is good for the public to know about anyone views, even those of a childish-indoctrinated man's mind. Judgement is upon the listener! otoh, should BBC be expected to select speakers then there I would see a bias.

Alan H

#230 Post by Alan H » January 15th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Gottard wrote:I am not so negative about BBC balancing the view of speakers/spouters. It is good for the public to know about anyone views, even those of a childish-indoctrinated man's mind. Judgement is upon the listener! otoh, should BBC be expected to select speakers then there I would see a bias.
The BBC clearly select the speakers anyway. If they were at all interested in a balanced and debate, there would be far better people they could have given air time to who could discuss the subject. All we remember from the discussion that did take place is this guy who had medieval views.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Gottard

#231 Post by Gottard » January 15th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Alan H wrote:
Gottard wrote:I am not so negative about BBC balancing the view of speakers/spouters. It is good for the public to know about anyone views, even those of a childish-indoctrinated man's mind. Judgement is upon the listener! otoh, should BBC be expected to select speakers then there I would see a bias.
The BBC clearly select the speakers anyway. If they were at all interested in a balanced and debate, there would be far better people they could have given air time to who could discuss the subject. All we remember from the discussion that did take place is this guy who had medieval views.
What you say is also true :smile:

Dave B

#232 Post by Dave B » January 15th, 2015, 5:26 pm

It was the chap from the Quilliam Foundation that made an impression on me. The "medieval outlook" has been "used" so often now that it is just a meme of sorts, simply a stimulus box that is ticked to elicit a certain set of responses from the audience.

Occasionally someone says something that contains an element of a new thought or a new perspective, that is what I listen out for. Much of the rest just glides on by.

This is why I usually listen to the likes of "The Moral Maze" and even "Thought for the Day" has its odd high spot (would have a lot more if they opened it up!)
Me, 2015

lewist

#233 Post by lewist » April 25th, 2016, 8:22 am

The Friendly Atheist posted this today. I like it. It speaks volumes of good sense and it made me smile.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#234 Post by Alan H » April 25th, 2016, 9:59 am

lewist wrote:The Friendly Atheist posted this today. I like it. It speaks volumes of good sense and it made me smile.
Yes, that's very good. Thanks for that!
Alan Henness

Gottard

#235 Post by Gottard » April 25th, 2016, 3:03 pm

lewist wrote:The Friendly Atheist posted this today. I like it. It speaks volumes of good sense and it made me smile.
Thanks! I see that people have the same thoughts irrespective of their Country's policy. Alas, some countries (theocracies) try to imbue one single policy into their nationals, generating androids (I don't mean the operating system).