INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

humanist charity status

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
coffee

humanist charity status

#1 Post by coffee » October 3rd, 2010, 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wondering if humanist organisations get equal charity status as with other religions? I think I read that humanist organisations do not get tax break as other religious organisations do, is this correct?

Nick

Re: humanist charity status

#2 Post by Nick » October 3rd, 2010, 12:26 pm

Broadly speaking, in order to obtain charitable status, you need to qualify under the rules. Of primary concern is the objective of any proposed organisation.

There are currently four categories under which your organisation may qualify:

The relief of poverty
The advancement of education
The advancement of religion
Purposes beneficial to the community

[from Businesslink]

A humanist organisation must qualify under the fourth category, which is a little more difficult than just being a religion, which could have precisely the opposite effect.

coffee

#3 Post by coffee » October 3rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

What the minimum categories in order to qualify charity status? Could it be just one?

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » October 3rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

Coffee, twice in your op you referred to Humanism and other religions, Do you regard Humanism as a religion?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » October 3rd, 2010, 11:17 pm

Is the Humanist Society of Scotland a separatly constituted organisation from the BHA?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

coffee

#6 Post by coffee » October 4th, 2010, 9:47 am

Coffee, twice in your op you referred to Humanism and other religions, Do you regard Humanism as a religion?
No, pardon me.

coffee

#7 Post by coffee » October 4th, 2010, 9:49 am

Good point Alan C., I see it now.

Fia

#8 Post by Fia » October 4th, 2010, 11:02 am

getreal wrote:Is the Humanist Society of Scotland a separatly constituted organisation from the BHA?
Yes, getreal it is. It's affiliated to the broader organisations such as IHEU, and there is some contact between the HSS and the BHA, but has a separate constitution and structure. Why do you ask?

Nick

#9 Post by Nick » October 4th, 2010, 11:56 am

coffee wrote:What the minimum categories in order to qualify charity status? Could it be just one?
Yes it can be just one. There is some noise about trying to make charitable status more difficult to achieve, but so far I don't think the rules have changed.

Dan

#10 Post by Dan » October 12th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Just look at the charity commissioner's website:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk

There's loads of information there on how to qualify as charitable. There are more than four headings, by the way.

Dan