INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Humanist term wanted

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Nico

Humanist term wanted

#1 Post by Nico » February 6th, 2010, 12:38 pm

I quite like the religious (god willing) expression. Accidents may happen so you cant be sure. What would be a good humanist equivalent?

Marian

Re: Humanist term wanted

#2 Post by Marian » February 6th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Shit happens? :laughter:

I wouldn't say we have a set of humanist 'terms'; it's more a way of being in the world.
Transformative fire...

samurai23

#3 Post by samurai23 » February 6th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Firstly Nico, welcome to TH.

I'm not really sure what you're asking though. Are you saying what is the HUmanist equivalent of the phrase 'God willing'?
If you are, I'd go with what Marian said.
My life is limited but knowledge is unlimited,
Chasing unlimited knowledge with limited life is exhausting.
Chuang-Tze

Mike

#4 Post by Mike » February 6th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I use all being well - EG "All being well I will see you later"

Ken H

#5 Post by Ken H » February 6th, 2010, 6:31 pm

"Chances are" (A statistical phrase.)
"By space" (For Asimov fans.) :smile:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Lifelinking

#6 Post by Lifelinking » February 6th, 2010, 6:32 pm

You could try "If the ancient ones permit" or "while Cthulhu slumbers I quake in terrified anticipation of his return and seek only to atone myself unto his greatness"

"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Emma Woolgatherer

#7 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » February 6th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Yes, "all being well" is often a useful substitute. So is a simple "I hope" or "let's hope". (I'd even be happy with "hopefully", although grammar purists might not be too keen.) Often, something like "if we're lucky" or "if my luck holds" might fit the bill. But none of those is particularly ... distinctive.

I was pleased to discover an alternative to "There but for the grace of God go I" in "There but for fortune go I" (which folk music enthusiasts will probably know is the title of a Phil Ochs song (also sung by Joan Baez)).

Which makes me think ... Aha. Yes! Googling yields sixty-odd instances of the phrase "if fortune favours/favors it", which I rather like as a "God willing" substitute, even if it does rather anthropomorphise fortune.

I find it more difficult to find substitutes for "Thank God" (or "Thank Heavens" or "Thank your lucky stars" or even the relatively innocuous "Thank Goodness"). Any ideas?

Emma

Hundovir

#8 Post by Hundovir » February 6th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Nico wrote:I quite like the religious (god willing) expression. Accidents may happen so you cant be sure. What would be a good humanist equivalent?
Weather permitting?

Lord Muck oGentry

#9 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » February 7th, 2010, 4:15 am

With a bit of luck...
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Ikiru

#10 Post by Ikiru » February 7th, 2010, 6:30 am

"If all goes well..." I think is what I usually say.
Sketches from Life
“The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion.” ~ Masaoka Shiki

jaywhat

#11 Post by jaywhat » February 7th, 2010, 9:39 am

Knowing my luck! if you want the opposite.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#12 Post by Maria Mac » February 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Welcome Nico,

I totally get what you mean but I continue to say 'god willing' and 'god forbid' because they convey what I mean. Everyone knows I am an atheist and realise my use of the g-word is tongue in cheek.

I would draw the line at 'there but for the grace of god', however. The god of my imagination is a tyrant and doesn't do grace so I appreciate the alternative Emma has highlighted.

Compassionist

#13 Post by Compassionist » February 7th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I say things like "Hope to see you later" and "Expect to see you later" and "See you later if causality allows" and "Causality permitting, I will see you later" - they are the equivalent of "God willing".

I say things like "Hope you don't get run over by a bus" and "Hope you don't get mugged" and "Causality permitting, you will escape the flu" - they are the equivalent of "God forbid".

I say things like "All the best" and "Live and help live" and "Take care" - they are the equivalent of "God bless".

getreal

#14 Post by getreal » February 7th, 2010, 5:18 pm

I often use phrases with God or jesus on them- I frequently say "there but for the grace of god..." Everyone understands the meaning. The fact I don't believe in an old man on a cloud seems petty.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Compassionist

#15 Post by Compassionist » February 9th, 2010, 7:13 pm

getreal wrote:I often use phrases with God or jesus on them- I frequently say "there but for the grace of god..." Everyone understands the meaning. The fact I don't believe in an old man on a cloud seems petty.
I tend to say "All occurs according to causality", "Everything is proceeding according to causality", "There I go but for causality", etc.

philbo

#16 Post by philbo » February 10th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Insh'a Allah?

Fingers crossed, and all that. A bit like when you're not sure whether the village show will be rained off... it's fate (that one works better spoken, methinks)

Compassionist

#17 Post by Compassionist » February 10th, 2010, 5:06 pm

philbo wrote:Insh'a Allah?

Fingers crossed, and all that. A bit like when you're not sure whether the village show will be rained off... it's fate (that one works better spoken, methinks)
Insha Allah is simply Arabic for God Willing. Muslims use it often. I used to use it when I was a practising Muslim. Islamic concept of Takdir or fate is very similar to Calvinistic interpretation of Christianity. Funnily enough Causalitism is very similar except that Causalitism is secular and is agnostic regarding the existence and nature of any and all deities.

philbo

#18 Post by philbo » February 11th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Compassionist wrote:Insha Allah is simply Arabic for God Willing.
I know.. I was trying to make a joke
Compassionist wrote:Muslims use it often.
I was driven by a Muslim in Tunisia a few years ago, who explained that one of the reasons for the high death toll on the roads there (he came across as quite proud that at the time Tunisia had the highest death rate per capita in the world.. at the time I was sitting in a bucket of a Citroen Ami with no seat belt and where the passenger seat wasn't actually fixed to the floor) was that people would completely ignore rules of the road and what other drivers were doing, and if they had a crash it was "Insha Allah". Scary stuff :)

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#19 Post by Maria Mac » February 11th, 2010, 5:03 pm

philbo wrote:
Compassionist wrote:Insha Allah is simply Arabic for God Willing.
I know.. I was trying to make a joke
I got it. Actually, I think I'd find saying Inshallah even more amusing. I'll try to adopt it. :)

Compassionist

#20 Post by Compassionist » February 12th, 2010, 10:41 am

Compassionist wrote:Muslims use it often.
I was driven by a Muslim in Tunisia a few years ago, who explained that one of the reasons for the high death toll on the roads there (he came across as quite proud that at the time Tunisia had the highest death rate per capita in the world.. at the time I was sitting in a bucket of a Citroen Ami with no seat belt and where the passenger seat wasn't actually fixed to the floor) was that people would completely ignore rules of the road and what other drivers were doing, and if they had a crash it was "Insha Allah". Scary stuff :)
I can relate to that. I have been in several road traffic accidents in Bangladesh. Seat belts are always absent and drivers are reckless. They prefer to hang talismans in the vehicle instead of installing and using seat belts and following the driving codes. Insha Allah indeed. I have lost friends and relatives to road traffic accidents and my Dad was seriously injured last year in a coach crash.