INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Leo Igwe arrested

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Alan H

Re: Leo Igwe arrested

#21 Post by Alan H » January 7th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

A background article Leo wrote a year ago: Police and the rest of us
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#22 Post by getreal » January 7th, 2010, 4:05 pm

I'm speechless. To continue to press for justice in the face of such intimidation is truly awsome.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#23 Post by Alan H » January 8th, 2010, 10:16 am

This is from Uche, Leo's brother and describes his meeting with the Nigerian police:
Thanks Josh and all.

I arrived the SSS office at about 10.06 am. The questioned me intensively and made me to write a statement. They had in their position a petition allegedly written by Ethel Ugwu and Edward Uwa(the same set of people who have petitioned Leo and my father). They took a lot of information from me including my house address,passport number and bank account details.they left me to go at about 4.10 pm after keeping me for six hours.I am not worried about issues of bank account at all.However I am very worried about the safety of my expectant wife who is at home and it is obvious that the SSS headquaters clearly in alliance with Ethel Ugwu and Edward Uwa.

They have asked me to come back today at 1.00 pm. I am very grateful to Amnesty International London,Mr Patrick Nagbanton and Mr Nimmo Bassey who called to find out my condition. The name of the man who questioned me is Mr Milad on 08033362745 of the Directorate of Economic Intelligence. I am more than happy to give them all the information they ask for but it is important to let them know that the authors of the petition are known and have a pending petition with the police targetted only to silence the voices against injustice.

I also got a call from AIG Ringin last night and he was complaining that Leo had reported the police to human rights groups.He also alleged that Mr Ethel and Edward are bent on any form of attack. For me the pressure must continue to ensure that Ms Daberechi Anongam gets justice.For this we are committed cost what it may!

Aluta Continua Victoria Acerta!!

Uche Igwe
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » January 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I have just heard from Leo Igwe, that agents of the SSS Nigerian State Security Service are inside Uche Igwe's home right now and are refusing entry to the other people who live there.

I will also send this to Amnesty.

Josh
I have just heard from Leo

The State Security Service has taken Uche with them away from his home supposedly to their offices.
Leo has asked the person who lives with Uche to go to the offices and ask what is happening.
Leo says that the SSS should be open about what are the reasons for this harassment of Uche and allow him proper legal representation.
The situation is unfolding right now.
Leo says "we are deeply concerned"
He asks all of us to take whatever action we can to make the Nigerian authorities aware that the eyes of the world are on this matter and that we expect that they will be behave properly in providing people with information as to why they are being held and questioned and given access to legal representation.
Leo says not to be concerned about any effect this may have on him and his meeting on Monday with the police. He sauds it i important that the authorities in Nigeria are aware of the international concern.
Contact local Nigerian Embassies , organs of government in Nigeria etc.

Written in some haste by me
Josh
Alan Henness

getreal

#25 Post by getreal » January 8th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Worrying developments.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#26 Post by Alan H » January 8th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I have just spoken with Leo.

Uche has been released by the SSS. Uche told him that they have returned 95% of the possessions they took from his home.

That is all I know.

Josh
Alan Henness

getreal

#27 Post by getreal » January 8th, 2010, 10:57 pm

How people can live with that level of stress, is beyond me.

Alan H

#28 Post by Alan H » January 9th, 2010, 7:20 pm

From Roy Brown of IHEU
I am happy to tell you that Sonja Eggerickx, President of IHEU, has sent a letter to President Yar'Adua of Nigeria uging him to intervene to stop the harrassment of Leo and his family.

You can read the full story at:
http://www.iheu.org/nigeria-must-end-ha ... e-leo-igwe

Roy
Alan Henness

Alan H

#29 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Leo sounds very tired,
I told him to try and have something to eat and get some sleep.

I asked whether he had heard from the NBA. He said he had and that they had made a 'pledge' to be there tomorrow but he didn't sound quite convinced. He said he would phone them to try and arrange that they should be there, He said there was another lawyer who might come. I hope at least one lawyer turns up.

I told him of Sonja's and A.C. Grayling's letters and said that I imagine many others will have been making contact with various authorities.
Here's hoping that his and his father's interview with the police goes well tomorrow. As soon as I hear something I will let you know.

Regards

Josh
Alan Henness

Alan H

#30 Post by Alan H » January 11th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Update

Spoke with Leo. He was just leaving the police station. The police have taken statements. They say there will probably have to be an autopsy of the man they have been accused of murdering. The man who is the source of the allegations did not show up and Leo said the police were more relaxed and friendly.

No lawyer from the Nigerian Bar Association turned up but Leo said other friend(s) did. Leo was, I believe, at the exit of the police station and cut short our conversation, no doubt to be let out. I shall try to call a little later again to find out more, but I thought I would post the latest information straight away.

Josh
Alan Henness

joshkutchinsky

#31 Post by joshkutchinsky » January 13th, 2010, 1:10 am

Further information.
Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Leo has now left the police station. The man (the one who has been making all the problems for Leo and his family) who had made the allegations did not turn up. The police contacted him and he said he was in hospital. They told him that he must come again next Monday and, if I understood properly, Leo and family have also to go again to the police station. The police said that someone must be charged.
Either witnesses will be brought by the complainant to substantiate his allegations, one of whom must be from the family of the dead man, or the complainant will be charged with bringing false allegations or...
I think there will not be an autopsy unless some witnesses corroborate the allegations.

Leo seemed in a better state than last night.

He confirmed that the NBA did not send a lawyer and that he does not know why.

Uche Igwe was meant to come today and make a statement but was unable to and will be going I think this Thursday or maybe it was next Monday.

I told Leo to take care.

josh

George Broadhead

#32 Post by George Broadhead » January 13th, 2010, 10:46 am

You can see the reaction to this of the UK gay Humanist charity, the Pink Triangle Trust (PTT) at its website www.pinktriangle.org.uk.

George Broadhead
PTT secretary

Alan H

#33 Post by Alan H » January 14th, 2010, 10:57 am

Thanks for the link, George. Good to see you here!
Alan Henness

Alan H

#34 Post by Alan H » January 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

The latest on Leo Igwe from Josh:
You might be following these developments and if so would want to know how things went with Leo at the police station today.

I have been unable to reach Leo and so I called his brother Uche Igwe .

Uche told me that he had spoken to Leo. Leo attended at the police station as arranged and was allowed to leave and is probably at or on his way to his village. Uche said the petitioner who had been making these malicious allegations did not show up nor did any witnesses. The issue though has not been dropped.. Uche says the police have asked the petitioner again to attend on Thursday. I am not sure what is being expected of Leo. Uche says that the police are simply trying to extract more money out of the petitioner and Leo and the rest of the Igwe family.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#35 Post by Alan H » January 26th, 2010, 3:00 pm

From Leo:
MURDER CHARGE: INVESTIGATION DRAGS ON AND ON

Leo Igwe

Yesterday, I was at the police station in Umuahaia and met with the officers handling the case of fictitious murder charge brought against me and my family members.

For the third time the complainant Ethelbert Ugwu did not bring the witnesses. Instead, he turned up with a lawyer who helped him package his lies and excuses. Earlier he claimed that the witnesses couldn't report at the station because some of the suspects went and threatened them after their release!

Later he said some of the suspects had bribed the witnesses. They told him to bring the witnesses by Thursday so that they could wrap up their investigation.

Before leaving the station, we met with the Deputy Commissioner of Police(DC), James Ogbonna. One of the officers told me the complainant knew the DC very well.So I was not surprised when as we entered the office of the DC and I was introduced, he started harassing me. He said, "Look very soon we will charge you to court." He asked the police officers investigating the case to hurry up and charge the matter to court. I was calm and didn't utter a word because I didn't expect that stupid remark from him and obviously he spoke like one who had been settled (bribed) by the complainant. When we left the office, I went straight to the police officers handling the investigation and registered my concern and disappointment. I told them I never expected the DC to make such a pronouncement over a case that was under investigation. But the officers laughed and told me not to worry or panic, because according to them, what the DC made was a 'political statement'. A political statement indeed! Well I told them I would include the DC's statement in my report to human rights groups. But they pleaded with me not to do so. It was shocking to see how police officers trample and toy with the dignity of people; with truth, justice and fairness just because they have been paid to do so. And this is particularly the case when you present yourself as an ordinary person without any 'connections' or you don't join those 'innocent' people who come around to settle them shaking, begging and panicking in order not to be made 'guilty'. I was outrage and dumbfounded by the lack of integrity and professionalism in the way police officers go about their work.(In fact one of them told me that he would be leaving very soon to join the EFCC!!)

In Nigeria, malicious petitioners work hand in hand with the police. Police officers treat them as 'customers' because they bring business. Petitions are avenues police officers use to generate income for themselves. Police officers are mobilized by petitioners before they can effect any arrests.
And they turn around to extort money from their suspects in the name of bail.

Corruption in the Nigeria Police will not stop, criminality in the society will not reduce, justice will remain elusive until police officers stop extorting money from complainants and suspects for arrest, bail, detention and investigation. Like in other cases of malicious petitions, the police officers and the petitioner will ensure that the investigation drags on and on. They will continue to invent different alibi to toss the suspects around and get them to continue to live in fear of either being prosecuted or being rearrested by the police.

But this time around all 'the suspects' plan to take it further than this. We will work and campaign to ensure that somebody is charged-the suspects if there is any evidence of offence or the complainant for misinforming the police.

Very soon we shall be asking you to help us get the police authorities in Nigeria to act.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#36 Post by Alan C. » February 5th, 2010, 10:11 am

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#37 Post by getreal » February 5th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Excellent news!