INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

TFTD

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.

What do you think should happen?

1. TFTD is a relic from a bygone age and should be dropped
55%
2. Keep it as it is but change the title to Religious TFTD
10%
3. Open it to the non-religious.
28%
4. Keep it as it is but the speakers should be open to challenge.
7%

Total votes: 29

Maria Mac
Site Admin

TFTD

#1 Post by Maria Mac » August 10th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Although we already have a thread on TFTD here, I've started this one just so I can post a poll, the idea for which I got from a suggestion on the the BHA members forum.

When voting please bear in mind that I am talking about the Thought for the Day slot as it currently exists on BBC Radio 4's Today programme. I have not allowed for moving TFTD to a different time slot or different programme altogether and, although my main objection to TFTD is that in its present format, it can't be challenged (I had a rant about TFTD on my blog recently) I'm not sure that this would be workable in its current early morning time slot.

People who aren't familiar with TFTD can read transcripts of them on the programme's website here.

ETA: I should have said my second main objection is that it can't be challenged. My main objection is, of course, that it excludes the non-religious.

Hundovir

Re: TFTD

#2 Post by Hundovir » August 10th, 2009, 8:49 pm

I've voted for option 1.

TFTD is so often just completely trite. Unfortunately, religious people do not have a monopoly on being trite and I'm sure any non-religious options would be just as bad. Given its "slot", the BBC wouldn't dare broadcast anything controversial or genuinely thought-provoking. Wouldn't want "disgusted of Tonbridge Wells" choking on his/her coffee would we?

On the other hand Rabbi Blue should be knighted - even though he also is trite and sentimental. He's just so... cuddly! And his books are quite good reading as well.

getreal

#3 Post by getreal » August 10th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I voted to open it to the non religious, though I don't really have a problem with it as it stands.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#4 Post by Fia » August 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm

I'd like to see a combination of 3 and 4: open it to the non-religous but all speakers should be open to challenge. No-one should be beyond challenge: the BBC, content and presenters are so why have a special place where we can't discuss? I'm sure the delightful Rabbi Blue would be delighted to engage, not so sure about most of the others though...

It could be interesting programming too - a weekly "thought on TTFD"...

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » August 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I voted for option 1, like all religious nonsense it has no place in the 21st century.
I probably could be persuaded to keep it if like Fia suggested, the speaker was open to challenge, I'd love to hear Christopher Hitchens taking on some of the contributors.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » August 10th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Just read his wikki entry.

I had no knowledge of his life (personal, or otherwise) but have to agree he sounds warm and cuddly!

I mix him up, though with this guy sometimes.

I'd love to hear Sam Harris!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

tubataxidriver

#7 Post by tubataxidriver » August 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I think there is room on radio in the middle of what is quite a serious current affairs programme for a bit of reflection and consideration of issues in their wider context. This is what a "thought for the day" might be, but the current sanctimonious religious claptrap does not fit this bill. It would also be a challenge for a non-religious speaker. If TFTD was opened up to a wider group of speakers including other belief systems and general philosophy and modern thought, and the quality of material improved, even those speakers from a religious perspective would be more interesting than they are now.

Diane

#8 Post by Diane » August 12th, 2009, 4:42 pm

I'm afraid I disagree with ttd. I find the change in pace introduced by tftd irritating enough, never mind the content. I don't think I'd be any less irritated by non-religious reflections at that time in the morning. I voted for the first option.

Lifelinking

#9 Post by Lifelinking » August 12th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Option 2. Give folk a faith slot if that is what they want. I have no problem with that.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » August 12th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Lifelinking
Give folk a faith slot if that is what they want.
Yes but I think the big question is, how many folk want it? Why should the BBC; funded by us all, pander to a tiny minority?

Lifelinking

#11 Post by Lifelinking » August 12th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Yeah, I know the argument. For me personally, it is not such a big deal, but I could see how somebody might take the hump. I previously thought that they should make room for a secular voice, however I have rather shifted my view towards the idea of just naming the slot more appropriately. I cannot get myself worked up about numbers. Surely the BBC can cater for minorities. Look at the number of bloody gardening programmes for example.... :exit:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » August 12th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Lifey
I cannot get myself worked up about numbers. Surely the BBC can cater for minorities. Look at the number of bloody gardening programmes for example....
They have gardening progs on TV? I'm a wallflower get me out of here maybe? :D

Er......Gardening is not a minority sport, I heard on the radio yesterday that in some areas there is a six year waiting list for allotments, you should have used cookery programmes as your example because cooking I think is a minority sport these days, :sad: (sadly)

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » August 12th, 2009, 11:03 pm

:offtopic: Surely there are very few gardening programmes these days? There are far more 'buy a house, do it up and sell it at a profit'-type programmes. Or, 'I don't want to live here any more, find me somewhere else' programmes.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Lifelinking

#14 Post by Lifelinking » August 12th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Hey, programmes like 'sell my scabby antiques and buy me a new hoose cos this one's a heap of shite' are just as :offtopic: As Alan Titcharse & co

Clearly what we need are crossover programmes, where you can get a makeover on yer hoose, yer garden and yourself with voiceovers full of trite pish done by a Priest, Rabbi, Imam and Buddhist Monk on skates.
William McIlvanney

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » August 12th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Lifelinking wrote:Clearly what we need are crossover programmes, where you can get a makeover on yer hoose, yer garden and yourself with voiceovers full of trite pish done by a Priest, Rabbi, Imam and Buddhist Monk on skates.
You might be on to something there...what's Endemol's address?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#16 Post by Nick » August 13th, 2009, 8:56 am

Alan C. wrote:..you should have used cookery programmes as your example because cooking I think is a minority sport these days, :sad: (sadly)
Cooking's a sport? Hmmm. Maybe include it at the Braemar Games....All-in Whisking...Tossing the Salad...

Nick

#17 Post by Nick » August 13th, 2009, 9:14 am

More seriously, have a look at Maria's blog- well worth a read.

I voted for dropping it, but not because it is in some way 'old fashioned'. I can be quite a fan of bygone ages. I might have voted for inclusion of non-religious views, except that the quality of TFTD is very low, even if you ignore the religious perspective, so putting it out of its misery is really the only option. If they insist on keeping it, then the non-religious should be included.

Also, to talk of a secular TFTD is IMO to slightly miss the point. The football results may be 'secular' (but even then have been known to include mention of The Hand of God... :D) but for me the absence of mention of God is not enough. If the religious can have hours of programming promoting belief in a god, there should be explicit programming promoting atheism.

Zoe

#18 Post by Zoe » August 13th, 2009, 12:32 pm

What Nick said. I voted for dropping it. I wouldn't object to a completely different programme which starts with a tftd, which is then challenged either by studio guests or the public but there are already similar programmes so I'm not sure we need another one.

Alan C.

#19 Post by Alan C. » August 13th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Nick
Cooking's a sport? Hmmm.
Don't they have pancake races in your neck of the woods? :D (I was speaking metaphorically) :moon:
Nick
More seriously, have a look at Maria's blog- well worth a read.
Excellent Maria, I like the couple of digs at the HSS.

Gurdur

#20 Post by Gurdur » August 20th, 2009, 4:01 am

Lifelinking wrote: ... Look at the number of bloody gardening programmes for example.... :exit:
Well, us Ent minorities like a bit of pandering too.