INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

What kind of humanist are you?

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Alan H

#1 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Not very convinced by my result...
Hounded Humanist

Oh, God – I mean, oh, Dawkins! – why does it all have to be so difficult? You try so hard, don’t you, to be a good person and to lead a blameless life? You keep a compost heap, cycle to the bottle bank, and the list of countries you won’t buy from is longer than the washing line for your baby’s towelling nappies. You would never cheat on your partner, drink and drive, accept bribes or fiddle your expenses. You try not to waste money, but give loads to charity. But you can’t help feeling guilty a lot of the time. It took quite an effort to throw off the shackles of your religious upbringing and even today you occasionally wonder if you’ve done the right thing. At other times, though, you remember with a shudder of revulsion the hypocrisy and constraints that you’ve escaped. You feel awkward when Christopher Hitchens argues that religion is primitive. Yet you’re filled with violent loathing when Jehovah’s Witnesses bang on your door or you encounter a line of orange Hare Krishnas chanting in the street. The commentator you most admire is Terry Eagleton, who, despite having no truck with religion itself, is a powerful advocate of religious values. You’re a reluctant atheist who’d have preferred some fundamental certainties but realised with sadness that there weren’t any. Lighten up – and wear your humanism with heart.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

Re: What kind of humanist are you?

#2 Post by jaywhat » July 13th, 2009, 1:11 pm

I do not think this is really me, but.........

Hedonistic Humanist

You are one of life’s enjoyers, determined to get the most you can out of your brief spell on this glorious planet. What first attracted you to atheism was the prospect of liberation from the Ten Commandments, few of which are compatible with a life of pleasure. You play hard and work quite hard, have a strong sense of loyalty and a relaxed but consistent approach to your philosophy. You can’t see the point of abstract principles and probably wouldn’t lay down your life for a concept, though you might for a friend. Something of a champagne humanist, you admire George Bernard Shaw for his cheerful agnosticism and pursuit of sensual rewards, and your Hollywood hero is Marlon Brando, who was beautiful (for a while), irascible and aimed for goodness in his own tortured way. You adored the humanist London bus slogan (“There’s probably no God, now stop worrying and enjoy your life”) and are delighted that wild young comedians like Stewart Lee, Christina Martin and Ricky Gervais share your full-blooded rejection of religion. Sometimes you might be tempted to allow your own pleasures to take precedence over your ethics. But everyone is striving for that elusive balance between the good and the happy life. You’d probably better open another bottle and agree that for you there’s no contest.

Fia

#3 Post by Fia » July 13th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Apparently I'm a Hounded Humanist too :shrug: I don't recognise myself in the description, but it was a fun way of enjoying a cuppa nonetheless :smile:

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » July 13th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Oh dear! I'm also a Hounded Humanist. I really don't think that description fits, but maybe that's just self delusion and instead fo a happy-go-lucky good-time gal, I'm really an angst-ridden argumentative worrier!

On reflection, it fits rather well!!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Hundovir

#5 Post by Hundovir » July 13th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Another Hounded Humanist here! Again, don't feel it's accurate and who the hell is Terry Eagleton? Never heard of him. Suppose I'll have to Google him.

Feel I'm more of a "satirical skeptic" myself, (or as my Yahoo Answers profile has it: "Cynic. Skeptic. Ex-religionist. Bemused observer. Beer drinker. Mocker. Scoffer. Hypocrite. Dog lover. Greeb-thribbler.")

New thread anyone? 2-word alliterative description of yourself...

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » July 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm

This annoys me for some reason.

I find the spelling of sceptic with a "k" irritating (especially as I am inclined to do it myself, sometimes).
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Hundovir

#7 Post by Hundovir » July 13th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Picky picky! :laughter:

I did as well until very recently. In fact, my YA profile actually says "...Sceptic (yep, UK English spelling)..."

:hilarity:
But then I decided I couldn't be arsed. And, anyway, as it comes ultimately from Greek "skeptikos"...

Oh, hang on... I should be writing "skeptik".

What I really object to (at the moment and amongst many, many other things) is the American "eew" (spelling and pronunciation) instead of the good old British "ugh".

Also "can I get?" in shops, instead of "can/may I have?"

and...

and....

<fume, mutter, fume>

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Hundovir wrote:Again, don't feel it's accurate and who the hell is Terry Eagleton? Never heard of him. Suppose I'll have to Google him.
Have a read of what Ophelia Benson has to say about him on her Butterflies and Wheels website.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Hundovir

#9 Post by Hundovir » July 13th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Thanks Alan.

A "cultural theorist", eh? So I suppose I'm in for wodges of impenetrable "poetic", "whimsical", "subversive" gobbledegook philosophy if I read him?

That Butterflies and Wheels site is new to me, and looks very interesting. Methinks i shall be reading quite a bit of it.

Thanks again.

Edit: Oooo! I've just realised that I've read and admired Ophelia Benson's book "Why Truth Matters". Hadn't remembered who the autheors were until I saw the pic of the cover on the website.

lewist

#10 Post by lewist » July 13th, 2009, 10:21 pm

jaywhat wrote:I do not think this is really me, but.........

Hedonistic Humanist

You are one of life’s enjoyers, determined to get the most you can out of your brief spell on this glorious planet. What first attracted you to atheism was the prospect of liberation from the Ten Commandments, few of which are compatible with a life of pleasure. You play hard and work quite hard, have a strong sense of loyalty and a relaxed but consistent approach to your philosophy. You can’t see the point of abstract principles and probably wouldn’t lay down your life for a concept, though you might for a friend. Something of a champagne humanist, you admire George Bernard Shaw for his cheerful agnosticism and pursuit of sensual rewards, and your Hollywood hero is Marlon Brando, who was beautiful (for a while), irascible and aimed for goodness in his own tortured way. You adored the humanist London bus slogan (“There’s probably no God, now stop worrying and enjoy your life”) and are delighted that wild young comedians like Stewart Lee, Christina Martin and Ricky Gervais share your full-blooded rejection of religion. Sometimes you might be tempted to allow your own pleasures to take precedence over your ethics. But everyone is striving for that elusive balance between the good and the happy life. You’d probably better open another bottle and agree that for you there’s no contest.
Me too. But please, who are Stewart Lee, Christina Martin and Ricky Gervais?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Hundovir

#11 Post by Hundovir » July 13th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Where are you from? Badenoch? Scotland? I dunno. But if so, YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF RICKY GERVAIS? Only excusable if you don't have a telly. (I didn't for years, but I'm sinning again at the moment.)

Ricky Gervais wrote and starred on "The Office", a brilliant satire.
He also does stand up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

HEY MODS/ADMINS!! ANy chance of the [youtube] or [video] phpBB codes so we can embed? Or is it a bandwidth issue?

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » July 13th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Hundovir wrote:HEY MODS/ADMINS!! ANy chance of the [youtube] or [video] phpBB codes so we can embed? Or is it a bandwidth issue?
Never really thought about it, but I suspect you're right that it would add to our bandwidth. However, we do have quite a bit to spare each month, so I'll have a think about it and let you know.
Alan Henness

lewist

#13 Post by lewist » July 14th, 2009, 8:02 am

Hundovir wrote:Where are you from? Badenoch? Scotland? I dunno. But if so, YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF RICKY GERVAIS? Only excusable if you don't have a telly. (I didn't for years, but I'm sinning again at the moment.)

Ricky Gervais wrote and starred on "The Office", a brilliant satire.
He also does stand up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I
Right. My daughter lent me a dvd of The Office. I couldn't make anything of it. I certainly couldn't find any entertainment in it. Perhaps if I persevered I would but is it worth it?

I do have a telly; it's the blank thing that sits in the corner while I watch the occasional programme on the computer using BBC iplayer. I do wonder why I give it house room.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Paolo

#14 Post by Paolo » July 14th, 2009, 8:28 am

TV's are a waste of space - cast it out! (Responsibly of course.)

The Office did little for me - I don't find cringing at other people making an utter tit of themselves particularly funny, just uncomfortable. I find that Peep Show has a similar effect, although it's got more of my kind of humour as well, which makes it more bearable. Gervais is funny when he does stand-up though.

I came up as a Hedonist too - but only after the site refused to classify me for my initial choices, maybe I'll try again.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#15 Post by Maria Mac » July 14th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Another hedonist here. Are there really any other possibilities beyond hounded or hedonist? There's supposed to 'hardline' and 'happy' as well but I did the quiz a second time ticking different answers and still got the same result. :puzzled:

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#16 Post by Maria Mac » July 14th, 2009, 1:07 pm

getreal wrote:This annoys me for some reason.

I find the spelling of sceptic with a "k" irritating (especially as I am inclined to do it myself, sometimes).
Taking my cue from the skeptic movement, I reserve the original Greek spelling for anti-altmed/superstition uses and that's why I called my blog 'skepticat'.

From the same site getreal linked to:
Skepticism is an honest search for knowledge. It is an approach to claims akin to the scientific method. It is a powerful and positive methodology (a collection of methods of inquiry) which is used to evaluate claims and make decisions. It is used to search for the (provisional) truth in matters and to make decisions that are based on sound reasoning, logic, and evidence. Skepticism is based on a simple method: doubt and inquiry. The idea is to neither initially accept claims nor dismiss them; it’s about questioning them and testing them for validity. Only after inquiry does a skeptic take a stance on an issue.
Whereas I use the 'c' spelling for when I'm sceptical about every day sort of stuff like what I might read in the newspapers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#17 Post by Maria Mac » July 14th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Hundovir wrote:Picky picky! :laughter:

I did as well until very recently. In fact, my YA profile actually says "...Sceptic (yep, UK English spelling)..."

:hilarity:
But then I decided I couldn't be arsed. And, anyway, as it comes ultimately from Greek "skeptikos"...

Oh, hang on... I should be writing "skeptik".

What I really object to (at the moment and amongst many, many other things) is the American "eew" (spelling and pronunciation) instead of the good old British "ugh".

Also "can I get?" in shops, instead of "can/may I have?"

and...

and....

<fume, mutter, fume>
You might be interested in this thread.

Nick

#18 Post by Nick » July 14th, 2009, 2:13 pm

I got the same result as Alan. I don't know which of us should be the more offended :laughter:

I agree with Paolo about Ricky Jervais in stand-up but I never saw The Office as none of the trailers I saw seemed to me to be the slightest bit funny.

I also find it very difficult to watch Fawlty Towers, as I can't stand Basil seemingly destroying his business. I suppose I shouldn't take life that seriously, should I? :sad2:

Fia

#19 Post by Fia » July 14th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Nick wrote: I agree with Paolo about Ricky Jervais in stand-up but I never saw The Office as none of the trailers I saw seemed to me to be the slightest bit funny.

I also find it very difficult to watch Fawlty Towers, as I can't stand Basil seemingly destroying his business. I suppose I shouldn't take life that seriously, should I? :sad2:
We must both be sad then Nick, as I watched an episode of the Office once and it left me cold.

And as for Fawtly Towers: I could never suspend my disbelief enough, and just found it excruciatingly embarrassing.

Guess I should have been a "miserable bugger Humanist" :D

Hundovir

#20 Post by Hundovir » July 14th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Nick wrote:I never saw The Office as none of the trailers I saw seemed to me to be the slightest bit funny.

Fia wrote: And as for Fawtly Towers: I could never suspend my disbelief enough, and just found it excruciatingly embarrassing.

Guess I should have been a "miserable bugger Humanist" :D
I am, for once, and astonishingly to myself - completely and utterly speechless! Image