INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Call to prayer

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Andy Armitage

Call to prayer

#1 Post by Andy Armitage » May 22nd, 2008, 11:44 am

There's another story from Oxford about Muslims' wish to wail their call to prayer over the city from minaret-top louspeakers. I personally think it's an affront and am an atheist who doesn't mind church bells. I've blogged it at Pink Triangle. It's not the first time it's come up, and Oxford had one C of E preacherman who welcomed it. But I don't think it is, as the local imam says, a freedom-of-speech thing. Be interested to know what others think.
Pink Triangle
a blog for humanists, updated daily
http://ptt-blog.blogspot.com

MedMae

Re: Call to prayer

#2 Post by MedMae » May 22nd, 2008, 12:07 pm

I don't think that freedom of speech extends to use of megaphones. Denying them the use of magaphones does not prevent them from speaking so that argument is bit flawed really.
Complexity is just simplicity multiplied to a point which exceeds a particular level of comprehension. - Theowarner

Lord Muck oGentry

#3 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » May 22nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

MedMae wrote:I don't think that freedom of speech extends to use of megaphones. Denying them the use of magaphones does not prevent them from speaking so that argument is bit flawed really.
:clap: Spot-on, MM!
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » May 22nd, 2008, 9:45 pm

Do Muslims not have watches?
The few Muslims we have here must have a hard time at this time of year, they have to pray an hour before sundown (11.00pm,) and an hour before sunrise (2.00am) Not much sleep then!
But they'll be really confused in about three weeks time when there is no sunset or sunrise, it's virtually 24 hour daylight.
My heart goes out to them (not).
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Beki

#5 Post by Beki » May 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Alan C. wrote:Do Muslims not have watches?
The few Muslims we have here must have a hard time at this time of year, they have to pray an hour before sundown (11.00pm,) and an hour before sunrise (2.00am) Not much sleep then!
But they'll be really confused in about three weeks time when there is no sunset or sunrise, it's virtually 24 hour daylight.
My heart goes out to them (not).

:hilarity: I never thought of that before!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi