INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Views on living life without religion

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
wizzy

Re: Views on living life without religion

#21 Post by wizzy » January 12th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I agree with Dan and Beki re the provision of a service for guidance on living your life to it's potential. There is no set answer to how you should live your life and you can't just go get a script to follow or a set goal to reach for. Everyone is different and you need to decide for yourself how to make your life fulfilling. As Beki has already said, if you want some kind of help with the thought process in deciding what it is you want to achieve, there are various books and services available already.

I also agree with Beki, that other people have provided answers to your questions that we agree with, though I would add to the what happens when we die, it is the end of your life and that's it, you decompose (or get cremated) and your atoms become part of of the atmosphere, plants, trees animals etc (although I read/heard somewhere that the actual atoms in your body are continuously replaced so that after 7 years you've got a completely new set of atoms - not sure if this is true, but if so you don't really your own set of atoms anyway). But I got sidetracked, what I was going to add is that as when you die that's it, but you may "live on" for a while in the memory of others, or if you've taken actions when you were alive that made a lasting change or impact.

whitecraw
Banned

#22 Post by whitecraw » January 12th, 2008, 9:15 pm

I
'm basiaclly trying to find out if, in the eyes of a humanist, it would be helpful to have something - a product,service or resource- that you could turn to in a moment of crisis or if you were feeling a bit lost in life…
In all the big and little crises in my life, I’ve always found a fag does the trick. I also remember a good few years back someone offering a student a little ‘something’ to help cope with the stress of exams; which student responded ‘Me? No thanks. I’m from Prestonpans. We just have a cup of tea.’ Maybe someone could use ‘Live Life to the Full’ as a marketing device to sell teabags to humanists. ‘Live Dangerously!’ for a Nietzschean brand of cigarette.
…that would allow you to feel that you are indeed living your life to its full potential or maybe that you are also helping others live fulfilling and happy lives…
If you were living as well as you could, you wouldn’t be needing anything to help you feel fulfilled. You’d be fulfilled. That’s the barometer of a good life: you’re as well as you feel; if you don’t feel your life’s right, you just need to ramp it up a bit. You don’t need a mentor, spiritual advisor, comfort blanket, counsellor, or any other product, service or resource. Just a barometer.
If you feel that there is no problem and that as a humanist you are completely happy with the way you live your life then please also say so.
Okay, I’ll say it: I’m completely happy with my life. I’ve enough to eat, somewhere warm and dry to sleep; I’ve fulfilled my biological function and I live handily near a marketplace where I’m continually amazed at just how many things I don’t need.

Dan

#23 Post by Dan » January 12th, 2008, 9:58 pm

ok dan, thats all fair enough but do you think you would benefit in any way from a tangible product, something that you (and your family and friends) can buy, hold and experience that either reassures you that you are living life to its full potential or indeed marks your death in the way i previously described? this is instead of visiting a doctor or psychologist as they are obviously not always readily available
Erm.

Actually, yeah, if there's one thing I've always felt has been lacking from previous experiences of the deaths of family, friends it's that there hasn't been a gift stall at the back of the church or crematorium.

Memories aren't enough, are they? What people really need is a piece of overpriced and badly made tat to cherish forever.

I've heard friends remark, wistfully, as they look through old photographs of their deceased love one, how much they'd like a stained glass window based on a seaside holiday snap, or that funny pulled face as a clock face.

Hey, I know, how about a money box. You put the coin into the coffin, a plastic figurine of the deceased pops out, says, "Great to know you're saving for your future on your own. Security is an important consideration for those left behind. Love you.", and then the coffin lid snaps shut and the coffin disappears into realistic looking flames. That would be great.

Or, in these environmentally aware times, the deceased's face on a reusable shopping bag would remind us of them every time we stocked up on pasta and cabbages.

Dan

louisep1311

#24 Post by louisep1311 » January 13th, 2008, 2:30 pm

ok guys, thanks for all your replies, i think you've made it fairly clear that humanists dont need anything designed for them as its either completely unnecessary or just adds to capitalism, thanks for all your help anyway, its allowed me to move onto another area of research that has more scope for designing,

Louise

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#25 Post by Maria Mac » January 13th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Dan wrote:
Erm.

Actually, yeah, if there's one thing I've always felt has been lacking from previous experiences of the deaths of family, friends it's that there hasn't been a gift stall at the back of the church or crematorium.

Memories aren't enough, are they? What people really need is a piece of overpriced and badly made tat to cherish forever.

I've heard friends remark, wistfully, as they look through old photographs of their deceased love one, how much they'd like a stained glass window based on a seaside holiday snap, or that funny pulled face as a clock face.

Hey, I know, how about a money box. You put the coin into the coffin, a plastic figurine of the deceased pops out, says, "Great to know you're saving for your future on your own. Security is an important consideration for those left behind. Love you.", and then the coffin lid snaps shut and the coffin disappears into realistic looking flames. That would be great.

Or, in these environmentally aware times, the deceased's face on a reusable shopping bag would remind us of them every time we stocked up on pasta and cabbages.

Dan
:hilarity:

I think these are great ideas and should be patented immediately. If someone could produce them, I'd happily set up a shop on this site from which to sell them.

louisep1311

#26 Post by louisep1311 » January 13th, 2008, 8:52 pm

wow, thanks dan i think i might actually develop your idea for the coin-slot coffin, theres tons of commercial viability in this idea i.e i will make a shit load of money - CAPITALISM HO!!!!

thanks so much, you've been a great help

lou

ColinAngusMackay

#27 Post by ColinAngusMackay » January 13th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Dan wrote:Hey, I know, how about a money box. You put the coin into the coffin, a plastic figurine of the deceased pops out, says, "Great to know you're saving for your future on your own. Security is an important consideration for those left behind. Love you.", and then the coffin lid snaps shut and the coffin disappears into realistic looking flames. That would be great.
A friend of mine had one of these as a child. When the money was inserted a skeletal hand would reach out to the money slot and there would be some maniacal laugh.

fullerwiser

#28 Post by fullerwiser » January 14th, 2008, 4:01 pm

louisep1311 wrote:ok guys, thanks for all your replies, i think you've made it fairly clear that humanists dont need anything designed for them as its either completely unnecessary or just adds to capitalism, thanks for all your help anyway, its allowed me to move onto another area of research that has more scope for designing,

Louise
Try the Christians, they love merchandising. It's half the economy in my state.

Atheists4Jesus

#29 Post by Atheists4Jesus » January 23rd, 2008, 7:19 pm

louisep1311 wrote:Hello!

I'm new to the forum but i'm currently doing a project for my product design course at university dealing with the topic of "The Matter of Life and Death". My research at the moment is based mainly around religion, concentrating on agnostic, humanist and aetheist ideas due to me being agnostic myself. If anyone is willing to give their opinions or thoughts on the topics below i'd be really greatful.
(no names will be used in my recorded research unless it is stated that you are ok with this)

Thanks a lot!

:: Life and death - Why re we born and why do we die?
:: What happens when we die?
:: Feeling lost or in need of guidance - would it be helful if there was somewhere to go or resources available to help those who dont believe in any particular religion?
:: Resources for children - should children be given more help in deciding for themselves what they believe in?
Should there be more readily available information regarding non-religious beliefs?
Takes alot to make me get my finger out and actually type something so here you go and it's all very simple. In order;

1. Mummy and Daddy. We die because things happen, cancer, bus, giant squid etc.
2. We cease to be. Dead. Gone. Rot, feed the worms and live on in the memories of others.
3. I do have somewhere like that to go. Its called my family.
4. No, because anyone helping the kid out would no doubt stick their own views ahead of others. They should be like me was, self edumacted on such matters.
5. Such as? Take humanism as an example. I never meet 2 who argree what it should be. I simply put it as "take care of yer fellow humans and respect the shared humanity we have" and to be completely honest I ripped that one right outta the Bible.....hence the user name. Now if I don't mean what maria means and she doesn't mean what alan c means, the how in the hell is anyone supposed to hand out info? It's really quite a personal thing imo.
I'll never understand Christians against capital punishment. Without it there would be no Easter.