INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Humanism as the Theme of Chinese Modernity

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
newcomer123

Humanism as the Theme of Chinese Modernity

#1 Post by newcomer123 » January 5th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Because of concerns about copyright, I have removed the content of this post, which was a 6,000 word article. A link to the original article is provided by Alan in his post below.

Maria
Site Admin

Alan H

Re: Humanism as the Theme of Chinese Modernity

#2 Post by Alan H » January 5th, 2008, 10:08 pm

newcomer123

Can you tell us your purpose in posting this here and in what context did you come across it? Was there some particular question it raises that you'd like others here to consider or discuss?

I have never heard of the author (Wang Hui) before - do you know anything about him? Is it you? However, it appears this was published by the University of Montreal in their Surfaces journal in 1995.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Lifelinking

#3 Post by Lifelinking » January 6th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Speaking entirely for myself newcomer123, such a huge cut'n'paste post is quite offputting.

Perhaps a short post outlining the main points you want to get across, with a link to the larger piece for those with an interest in the topic, may encourage discussion?

Welcome to TH by the way. Please feel free to introduce yourself and get to know the folk here. We are a friendly bunch with a wide range of interests.

:grin:

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Oxfordrocks

#4 Post by Oxfordrocks » January 7th, 2008, 8:51 am

Woah!

That's a lot to get through.
What sort of replies were you expecting?
What is the humanistic spirit? Is humanistic spirit already lost? Does the false alarm that humanistic spirit is lost imply that people proposing this harbor an elitist arrogance if the humanistic spirit is merely a kind of knowledge and narrative?
Merely???
There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating staying in EU.

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of staying in the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens will be caused by leaving EU?
3. Should the supreme court ruling on British subjects be based in UK?

Dan

#5 Post by Dan » January 10th, 2008, 2:22 pm

It's probably also a breach of copyright.

Dan

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » January 10th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Dan wrote:It's probably also a breach of copyright.

Dan
Good point. I've now removed the article. I'm surprised that, having posted the piece, newcomer123 hasn't returned to answer Alan's questions about it.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2008, 3:12 pm

One of the questions I posed was whether newcomer 123 was, indeed, the writer, in which case there may not have been a copyright issue. However, a link to the article is all that is needed.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dan

#8 Post by Dan » January 15th, 2008, 11:01 am

It was also over 12 years old!

Dan

whitecraw
Banned

#9 Post by whitecraw » January 15th, 2008, 1:34 pm

I have never heard of the author (Wang Hui) before - do you know anything about him?
For all you Eurocentrics out there, here’s an article about him: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/13/news/left.php