INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Lynne McTaggart and What Doctors Don't Tell You Magazine

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Lynne McTaggart and What Doctors Don't Tell You Magazine

#1 Post by Maria Mac » July 1st, 2014, 5:46 pm

WDDTY magazine contains misleading articles and advertisements that seem to be designed to get people to line the pockets of charlatans. It hasn't been selling as well as hoped and its editor, Lynne McTaggart, is getting so desperate that she is resorting to penning long diatribes about known critics while censoring all criticism of the contents of the magazine. Here is her latest offering, in which she very kindly gives this website a plug. What a shame the rest of her post is - much like her magazine - packed with falsehoods. As I'm unable to comment beneath the article itself, I'll post a few corrections here:

Alan Henness is FOLLOWING 462 on Twitter. He has 1,869 FOLLOWERS. Simon Singh is FOLLOWING 44. He has over 54,000 FOLLOWERS!

Josephine Jones is the pseudonym for ONE person: Laura Thomason. She does not work in a coffee shop.

Alan and I do NOT live in Harrow and (how creepy is it to try and find out where we live?), the Nightingale Collaboration was certainly NOT "given seed money by Sense About Science". Where on earth did she get this nonsense from???

Neither Edzard Ernst nor Simon Singh nor any other "known skeptic" evaluates ads or has anything to do with the ASA, which is not a "stacked deck" but a government endorsed regulatory authority that strives to apply the same standards to all advertisers. See my helpful blog here.

A glance at the BHA website would have revealed that I am NOT the CSO. It is in fact ten years since I held that post. Such a careless disregard for truth and accuracy - no wonder Lynne McTaggart is taken in by nonsense and promotes it for financial gain apparently with a clear conscience.

It certainly doesn't go against the Golden Rule to oppose vested interest groups or to challenge the dishonest claims of those peddling "alternative medicine" or anything else. Only those trying to defend this dishonesty would equate opposition with "harassment" and it somewhat ironic that this allegation comes in a post whose only purpose is to try to discredit individuals who have publicly challenged these claims on the basis of evidence and not on silly, irrelevant ad hominem attacks.

I don't even know what she's trying to say about Andy Lewis. It is indeed the case that arguments stand or fall on their own merits, regardless of who makes them. As for the reference to 'honest debate', Lynne McTaggart's penchant for deleting even faultlessly civil comments criticising the content of WDDTY as well as the prodigious amount of time she spends trying to discredit her critics suggests that 'honest debate' is something she's TERRIFIED of.

Dave B

Re: Lynne McTaggart and What Doctors Don't Tell You Magazine

#2 Post by Dave B » July 1st, 2014, 7:13 pm

One of the few times I regret getting off FB! I get no chance of reply.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#3 Post by Maria Mac » July 1st, 2014, 9:23 pm

She managed to get stuff about Edzard Ernst and Jo Brodie very wrong too. I'll let Jo speak for herself:

It seems the magazine What Doctors Don't Tell You doesn't like me

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » July 1st, 2014, 10:08 pm

Well, from my experience the chances are Tesco dropped WDDTY due to lack of sales - they are not known for listening to customers!

Nice deconstruction of McTaggart's post if on a specific aspect - with links to others though.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » July 1st, 2014, 10:58 pm

It's been pointed out to them several times that they have failed to understand Twittter and the number of followers Simon, me and others have. These things are easy to check and they could have simply not mentioned it and hoped their ignorance was forgotten.

Is that what they do? No...

They have just posted this:
What Doctors Don't Tell You Dear all, most of the people who have written on this blog aren't followers of WDDTY, but skeptics or trolls who show up whenever we write about Singh et al. They tend to show up just to belittle and throw stones, never to engage in rational argument, hence why they are not welcome here. Just to set the record straight.Simon Singh has had 54k people over the years who have, at some point, tuned into his Tweets. But the actual number of people who are actively following him at this time are, as I said, 44. Ditto my figures on Alan ,Henness. @ Matt Young: speaking of having a lot of followers there are 30,000 alternative practitioners in the UK alone serving 100 to perhaps thousands of patients apiece - all of them interested in natural medicine. And that's not including the millions of people who believe in taking supplements. Why do you, who are a tiny band in comparison, feel you have the right to determine what we read or what medicine we take?
For those who don't use Twitter, here's Simon's Twitter page. See of you can work out how many followers Simon has:
2014-07-01_22h57_26.png
2014-07-01_22h57_26.png (153.97 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » July 1st, 2014, 11:32 pm

Dave B wrote:Well, from my experience the chances are Tesco dropped WDDTY due to lack of sales - they are not known for listening to customers!
I quite agree. Though Tesco's response to complainants claims to pay some heed to the complaints, they tellingly mention that no customers had complained about the absence of the magazine when they'd stopped it. I've no doubt that low sales and general lack of interest from customers are the main reason they've dropped it.

And what a load of cobblers they talk about trying to censor them. Anybody who wants WDDTY that much can just subscribe, FFS!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#7 Post by Maria Mac » July 2nd, 2014, 10:54 am

A superb take-down by Guy Chapman:
They do say that one should always walk a mile in the other man’s shoes, but this is best not done when the other man is Error “Errol” Denton. WDDTY have, however, chosen to follow the convicted cancer quack down the road of declaring that any scrutiny of thier bogus claims is a personal vendetta, and to retaliate in kind. They don’t seem terribly happy that their rather obvious straw man was summarily demolished yesterday, and their response has been spectacularly vitriolic, not to say batshit insane.

MEET THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD DICTATE YOUR HEALTH CARE

Bzzzzt! Wrong. Our agenda is simple and straightforward: health information must be honest and factual. That means not disguising advertisements as editorial, not promoting long refuted nonsense, not engaging in anti-vaccine propaganda and not placing your ideological and financial interests over scientific evidence and the health of those misguided enough to believe you. No skeptic has ever presumed to dictate what choices anybody makes. We have presumed to challenge bogus claims made on the basis of fallacious reasoning, fraudulent fake science, blind belief, prejudice and conspiracist thinking. All WDDTY have to do in order to completely stop the tide of critical coverage, is to stop making such bogus claims.
Continues here: http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/blahg/2 ... ull-errol/

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#8 Post by Maria Mac » July 2nd, 2014, 11:38 am

And a great one from anarchic teapot:

http://wwddtydty.com/2014/07/meet-peopl ... alth-care/

Tetenterre

#9 Post by Tetenterre » July 2nd, 2014, 3:53 pm

I'm getting "Error establishing a database connection" on the links to both Guy's and Teapot's posts above.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » July 2nd, 2014, 4:30 pm

Then of course, I bet no one predicted they'd quietly delete the errors without saying anything and hope no one would notice?
2014-07-02_14h36_49.png
2014-07-02_14h36_49.png (97.87 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » July 2nd, 2014, 4:56 pm

:sad2:
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#12 Post by Tetenterre » July 2nd, 2014, 6:18 pm

Tetenterre wrote:I'm getting "Error establishing a database connection" on the links to both Guy's and Teapot's posts above.
Now seems to be working. Both are worth a read.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Fia

#13 Post by Fia » July 2nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Love anarchic teapot's use of language :D
own-brand whackjobbery
the naïve and vulnerable get conned out of their health and wealth by unscrupulous hucksters and charismatic fruitcakes.
bunch of quacks, frauds and profiteering dingbats

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » July 2nd, 2014, 6:49 pm

Our teapot uses colourful language...
Alan Henness

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » July 2nd, 2014, 9:48 pm

I would want to comment that it does not take a medical qualification to spot the lack of veracity in any system that relies on scientifically/statistically untested/unproven practices and/or has no solid body of data to back it up.

My retired legal secretary friend could spot the holes in something like that!
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#17 Post by Maria Mac » October 30th, 2014, 2:10 pm

I've just learned the word doxing and Lynne McTaggart's comments sprung to mind. Putting it here so I don't forget it.

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » October 30th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Going to have a go at doxing the doxy then, Athena?
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#19 Post by Maria Mac » December 25th, 2014, 10:33 am

Dave B wrote:Going to have a go at doxing the doxy then, Athena?
No, I couldn't give a shit about her personal info.

Thought I'd post this classic McTaggart instead.
If lots of people wanted voodoo on the NHS should we have voodoo?
The answer to that is, of course, yes. The National Health Service is a public health service, supported by my tax payments and those of everyone who pay taxes in Britain.
https://www.facebook.com/LynneMcTaggart ... 9512114666

Dave B

#20 Post by Dave B » December 25th, 2014, 11:42 am

Oh, and I see that you two get a mention in the comments.

Tut, how could you be so nasty to these poor people? :wink:
Laurie Willberg Simon Singh has ties to Sense abt. Science which is bankrolled by the pharmaceutical cartel. He in turn has helped one Allan Heness and his wife set up The Nightingale Collaboration that specializes in trying to censor information being provided by alternative health care practitioners. They have a posse of organized "skeptic" trolls who bully and try to belittle those on social media who support non-pharma based medical treatments.
Is SS "bankrolled by the pharmaceutical cartel"?

Later: well, after reading this article it might seem that he is not! Or, at least, was not then . . .
Me, 2015