INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What does Halloween celebrate?

Just a place where all John's threads can be kept nice and tidy.
jaywhat

Re: What does Halloween celebrate?

#41 Post by jaywhat » November 1st, 2010, 7:11 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan C. wrote:Only had one guiser all night, a peerie boy of about 6 with his mother and what looked like; his aunt.
He was in a Batman costume :puzzled: and had a bucket for cash, wasn't interested in sweeties "gimme the money" He seemed to be saying as he shook his bucket.
I really don't know what to think. :shrug:

We did not answer the door to several ringers because we absolutely hate the whole thing, but they got something to smile at when Dora (our somewhat scared cat) got up on the window sill and pushed through the curtains and stared at them with her beautiful quizzical look. We could hear them laughing.

lewist

#42 Post by lewist » November 1st, 2010, 8:01 am

I had about 30 guisers, all primary school age children. They were guisers in the Scots tradition, all with a turn to do - mainly the jokes nine year olds find funny - and grateful for the sweeties I put in their bags. I well understand the apprehension some people have of Halloween but here it is lovely. Parents hover in the street to make sure their offspring do it right and give a grateful and cheery wave before they go off elsewhere.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

getreal

#43 Post by getreal » November 1st, 2010, 11:37 am

It's good to know that it is still being celebrated in true Scottish fashion (should that be Celtic?). It would be a shame if it just became another retail festival. I heard on the TV that it is the 2nd biggest money making festival after christmas in the US.

I was shopping in Glasgow at the weekend (I got a really nice top, since you asked) and staff in all the shops were dressed in fancy dress costumes, which I don't mind at all, but I couldn't believe all the "halloween" tat for sale. Shame.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#44 Post by Maria Mac » November 1st, 2010, 11:41 am

Marian wrote:Here are our costumes. No plastic landfill stuff, no cheesy plastic. Pure creativity and lots of cardboard boxes.
Fab costumes - you make a great milk carton! :laughter:

Not sure if everyone this side of the pond knows about the missing people on milk cartons thing, though.

Marian

#45 Post by Marian » November 1st, 2010, 12:36 pm

Maria wrote: Fab costumes - you make a great milk carton! :laughter:

Not sure if everyone this side of the pond knows about the missing people on milk cartons thing, though.
Thanks! We got lots of compliments from both adults and kids. It's fun to watch their faces light up when they get up close. Jr won 1st prize at his school for best costume. That'd be 3 years running. ;)

Didn't even occur to me that the missing persons/milk carton wasn't ubiquitous to both continents. North Americancentric, I guess :) They even post the missing persons pictures on transport trucks over here. What do they do in the UK?
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#46 Post by Alan H » November 1st, 2010, 2:09 pm

Details of missing persons have been put on some milk cartons/bottles, but I think it was mainly deliveries and I'm not sure I've ever seen them on supermarket milk.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#47 Post by Maria Mac » November 1st, 2010, 2:16 pm

I wasn't aware of that. In answer to what we do about publicising missing persons in the UK, I'm not sure we do anything much beyond the occasional series on daytime TV.

Alan C.

#48 Post by Alan C. » November 1st, 2010, 2:33 pm

There's a fairly big sandwich board in our Co-op entrance with the picture and descriptions of two missing men.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Ken H

#49 Post by Ken H » November 1st, 2010, 3:18 pm

We had 18 come by our house. All but one were very young kids, with their moms standing by. The older boy, about 6 feet tall, was dressed as a zombie rock star complete with a real guitar! We decorated with some pumpkins and skeleton lights. We never have any trouble with trick-or-treaters around here. Gave out little Milky Way bars, M&M's and Dum-Dums. The dentist will appreciate our efforts...

This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Marian

#50 Post by Marian » November 1st, 2010, 4:05 pm

Maria wrote: In answer to what we do about publicising missing persons in the UK, I'm not sure we do anything much beyond the occasional series on daytime TV.
Not much of a priority, I guess. The real emphasis is on missing children over here. Mostly parental/custody battles and teenagers running away. I wonder who thought of adverts on milk cartons in the first place?

Sorry, I'm getting things a bit off topic. ;)
Transformative fire...

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#51 Post by Maria Mac » November 1st, 2010, 5:24 pm

Marian wrote:Sorry, I'm getting things a bit off topic. ;)
:pointlaugh: :laughter: :hilarity:

Trying to take all the credit are you?

Fia

#52 Post by Fia » November 1st, 2010, 8:29 pm

Excellent costumes Marian, without resorting to plastic tat. I will admit to initially being a tad confused as to what was missing...

And a huge well done to Jnr for his first prize :clap:

Marian

#53 Post by Marian » November 2nd, 2010, 10:32 am

Maria wrote: Trying to take all the credit are you?
:wink: Evil, aren't I?
Fia wrote:Excellent costumes Marian, without resorting to plastic tat. I will admit to initially being a tad confused as to what was missing...
And a huge well done to Jnr for his first prize :clap:
Thank you, thank you. If you look again, you'll see that the missing sign is posted right across where my brain should be... :laughter:
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#54 Post by Alan H » November 2nd, 2010, 4:30 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#55 Post by getreal » November 2nd, 2010, 5:04 pm

Anyone seen tyhis guy?

Totally brilliant.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =440625067

I doubt you could do that with a turnip!!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#56 Post by Nick » November 2nd, 2010, 11:00 pm

Totally brilliant! I agree! There is an abundance of talent out there. How come Tracey Emmin and here ilk are rated at all? :sick: Cue Emperor's New Bed, Emperor's New Tent, etc. A fool and his money are soon parted. Complete bollox.

getreal

#57 Post by getreal » November 2nd, 2010, 11:18 pm

When visiting the Amsterdam Museum of Modern Art (not sure that's the correct name) my friend and I walked into a room which had a pile of rubble on the floor. We both immediatly looked up at see the damage to the roof, then fell about laughing when we realised that the rubble was the exibit. In another room there was what I thought was a radiator on the wall. That too was an exibit (and I got a row for touching it!)

I love Amsterdam, though. By far my favorite city in the world (though I must say I have yet to visit some)

I don't understand Tracy Emin at all. Banksy's good though!