INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Scotland's Music (three threads merged)

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Ted Harvey

Scotland's Music (three threads merged)

#1 Post by Ted Harvey » November 11th, 2007, 11:19 am

I've been following 'Scotland's Music With Phil Cunningham' on BB2 Scotland :notworthy:

Phil Cunningham's presentation is impressive. Firstly, I was impressed with some of the archive material and the placing of much Scottish traditional music in a modern urban setting - complete with cultural and political impact.

I previously could only honestly describe myself as unconvinced but respectful of Scottish music, especially traditional, rather than a fan. That was because of the tartanalia, 'romanticised' Granny's Heilin' Hame, exclusively Gaelic that's foisted on as 'authentic Scottish'. Even worse in recent years has been the so-called fusion between 'traditional Scottish' and Country & Western (as epitomised by much of the dresdful BBC Radion Scotland late evening output).

In the most recent programme Cunningham further imoresses when he moves onto the contemporary Scottish output. He goes right across the spectrum from 'folk' to rock. Perfomances of the highest order of technical quality are impressing evne a tone deaf case like me :)

Superb and I need to get it all taped

I Am That I Am

#2 Post by I Am That I Am » November 11th, 2007, 2:14 pm

I've not heard the broadcasts, Ted, but I'd love to be able to listen. I need to check and see if they are available online as many BBC programmes are (live and also in the "listen again" format). Sounds very much like my cup of tea.

Phil Cunningham himself is a wonderful musician and his annual concerts with his friend, fiddle player Aly Bain, should be on every music lover's concert agenda. Phil is a natural entertainer and very funny as well as very talented musically. My wife and I try to attend a Phil and Aly concert every year if there is one at a venue within reasonable driving distance. They have more concerts in Scotland each year than anywhere else so you should be able to find one somewhere near you.

Thanks for the post, Ted. :-)
AKA Mick

I Am That I Am

#3 Post by I Am That I Am » November 11th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Okay...I now realise this is actually a tv programme and not a radio broadcast...silly me. I should have guessed that with the big clue you gave, " BBC2 Scotland". :) But that's even better! Well, I'll just have to hope that it's shown in other regions before too long.
AKA Mick

Ted Harvey

#4 Post by Ted Harvey » November 11th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Just for a dodgy wee moment you had me dithering and thinking... " I did see it on TV, and didn't hear it on radio, didn't I?' :)

Thanks for the comments on Phil and I will keep an eye out for him. What you say about his 'live' performances reminds me of Mike Harding. Back in the late 80s early 90s I chanced one loose-end night on one of his live perfomances at the Theatre Royal in Glasgow and it was a revelation. Before then I just about knew about him as a so-so folk singer cum folksy story teller.

His live performances were him solo playing a range of instruments, side-splitting 'real-life' stories (his Granny and the flying turd etc.) and of course singing. He could be very touching on pieces like WW2 'Bombers Moon' and the WW1 Pals Brigade.

He would tell us he was keeping off the TV for as long as possible as that would 'burn up' his material. Sure enough after a few years he did a succesful run on TV and that was that. Moreover, he just did not come over on TV in the way he did 'live'.

So. I will look forward to the experience of a live Phil :wink: .

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#5 Post by Maria Mac » November 11th, 2007, 5:36 pm

This seems a good place to remind folk that Celtic Connections is coming soon.

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » November 11th, 2007, 10:25 pm

We enjoyed it so much we watched the midweek repeat. It was brilliant.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Lifelinking

#7 Post by Lifelinking » November 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm

I echo Maria's recommendation of the Celtic Connections. Last year we took the children to see the 'Transatlantic Sessions'. A fabulous fusion of music from both sides of the pond. Marvellous synergy.

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Lord Muck oGentry

#8 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » November 12th, 2007, 12:05 am

Maria wrote:This seems a good place to remind folk that Celtic Connections is coming soon.
Excellent! Lady Muck and I are stalwarts of the Festival Club.

Alan C.

Scotland's Music

#9 Post by Alan C. » December 10th, 2007, 8:38 pm

There will be a great Shetland night on Saturday 19th.January, at the Auditorium, at Glasgow's Celtic Connections festival, with Fiddlers Bid, Filska, Hom Bru, Aly Bain, and the Cullivoe Fiddlers. and more...check the Celtic Connections website. I've seen all the acts up here, and can thoroughly recommend it will be a great night out, I would probably pay the ticket price just to see Fiddlers Bid.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Noggin

#10 Post by Noggin » December 11th, 2007, 10:23 pm

Sounds great. It's too far for me but I hope other people go to the festival and report back.
It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man. -- Old Norse Proverb

Alan C.

#11 Post by Alan C. » December 11th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Noggin
Sounds great. It's too far for me
Me too unfortunately, but at least I do get to see them all individually. :)

Alan C.

Scotland's Music

#12 Post by Alan C. » January 7th, 2008, 8:33 pm

If anybody's interested in the Shetland folk festival (I seem to remember a few folk last year expressed an interest)
These are some of this years Visiting Artiste Biographies.
10 videos from last years festival have been posted on youtube here.
Tickets for the venues sell out VERY quickly.

fullerwiser

Re: Folk festival

#13 Post by fullerwiser » January 8th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Interesting to see Katy Moffatt on that list, I haven't heard her name in a while over here. Good country singer, though.

Nick

#14 Post by Nick » January 17th, 2008, 3:48 pm

The same week-end (dammit) is the Sweeps Festival in Rochester. Lots of Morris dancing sides, (OK if you like that sort of thing) lots of free folk music in the streets and pubs, (getting better) and plenty of real ale (now you're talking!) There some stuff on You Tube to give you an idea. While searching, I found a clip of a gig I went to at my local pub, 'The Barge' in Gillingham, featuring Ian Cutler, the fiddler in Bully Wee Boys. It was quite a night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=631cOazqHiE

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#15 Post by Maria Mac » January 17th, 2008, 5:01 pm

I've been to the Sweeps and it's really nice. This year we are hoping to come to Shetland though it's a bit early to say for sure. Will hopefully know by the end of Feb.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Celtic connections

#16 Post by Maria Mac » January 25th, 2008, 1:27 pm

We spent a very pleasant evening yesterday at Celtic Connections. The main point of going was to see my favourite band, Shooglenifty, who were headlining a list of five bands.

Amongst the five were Daimh who were great and whom I'd like to see again. But the one whose next CD I'll be waiting for is Emily Smith. I'd never heard her before but what a beautiful voice she has and what lovely songs she writes. :thumbsup:

Ted Harvey

Re: Scotland's Music - Brilliant

#17 Post by Ted Harvey » February 1st, 2008, 12:14 pm

I read that Phil Cumnningham has just been appointed part-time head of traditional Scottish music at RAMD.

The boay hiz dun well :)

Alan H

Re:

#18 Post by Alan H » February 2nd, 2008, 3:50 pm

Lifelinking wrote:I echo Maria's recommendation of the Celtic Connections. Last year we took the children to see the 'Transatlantic Sessions'. A fabulous fusion of music from both sides of the pond. Marvellous synergy.
Are you going tomorrow evening? We'll be there.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Scotland's Music (three threads merged)

#19 Post by Maria Mac » February 5th, 2008, 6:49 pm

In a housekeeping mood, I've now merged the 'Scotland's Music - brilliant' thread with the one on Celtic Connections and the Shetland Folk Festival because they all overlapped anyway.

I think it's fair to say that Alan enjoyed this year's Transatlantic Session at Celtic Connections more than I did. I found a lot of the American stuff too lightweight and syrupy. I'd really only selected this gig because of Eddi Reader and I wish there'd be a lot more of her and rather less of some of the others.

Lord Muck oGentry

Re: Scotland's Music (three threads merged)

#20 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 24th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Here's one for admirers of John Renbourn and Clive Carroll:
http://www.john-renbourn.com/
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey