INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
kbell

Films

#1 Post by kbell » November 3rd, 2007, 11:54 pm

Anyone seen anything good at the cinema recently?

Edit: Or seen a good film on TV or DVD of course.

Alan C.

#2 Post by Alan C. » November 4th, 2007, 11:43 am

There is no cinema here but they show films occasionally at the Garrison, a small theatre in Lerwick.
I've only been the once, about two years ago, I can't remember what the film was, it can't have made much impression
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#3 Post by Maria Mac » November 4th, 2007, 12:05 pm

I mentioned elsewhere that I saw Eastern Promises last week and that it is extremely violent. I also found it rather implausible that an intelligent and experienced health service professional would be so naive. It seemed a clumsy way to launch the story.

That said, I did find the film gripping and I was able to keep focussed and follow the story without getting lost - and that's pretty rare for me.

Yesterday we saw 'Control', the sad story of Ian Stuart and Joy Division. It went on a bit but I really enjoyed it even though I was never a fan of their music.

Diane

#4 Post by Diane » November 4th, 2007, 12:45 pm

I've just seen Elizabeth: The Golden Age which is very watchable if rather melodramatic. I loved the opulence of it and Cate Blanchett is superb as always.

Recommended.

Bryn

#5 Post by Bryn » November 4th, 2007, 5:34 pm

I took my two boys to see Ratatouille yesterday. Tears of laughter rolled down all our faces. Highly recommended!

Meathead

#6 Post by Meathead » November 13th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Maria wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that I saw Eastern Promises last week and that it is extremely violent. I also found it rather implausible that an intelligent and experienced health service professional would be so naive. It seemed a clumsy way to launch the story.

That said, I did find the film gripping and I was able to keep focussed and follow the story without getting lost - and that's pretty rare for me.
Quite violent. And it does attract your attention with very palpable tension.

However, I found the film entirely just ok. A couple of problems: (1) I thought some of the characters were just cliches; and (2) I was perplexed by some of the dumb decision making made throughout the movie by the characters. My two cents.

Yesterday we saw 'Control', the sad story of Ian Stuart and Joy Division. It went on a bit but I really enjoyed it even though I was never a fan of their music.
I've been dying to see this one, but it's so hard to find even in Los Angeles. Definitely will see it before it leaves the theaters though.

Diane wrote:I've just seen Elizabeth: The Golden Age which is very watchable if rather melodramatic. I loved the opulence of it and Cate Blanchett is superb as always.

Recommended.
I was a bit let down by it myself. Perhaps my expectations were just too high given that I really loved Elizabeth.

My movie recommendation is Into the Wild.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#7 Post by Maria Mac » November 13th, 2007, 11:28 pm

Meathead wrote:
However, I found the film entirely just ok. A couple of problems: (1) I thought some of the characters were just cliches; and (2) I was perplexed by some of the dumb decision making made throughout the movie by the characters. My two cents.
I totally agree with you!

My movie recommendation is Into the Wild.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/
Thanks!

:thumbsup:

squiffy

#8 Post by squiffy » November 14th, 2007, 10:57 pm

We went to see Black Sheep last week. It was absolutely gruesome, but hilarious - sort of Shaun of the Dead with sheep.

http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/

Lifelinking

#9 Post by Lifelinking » November 14th, 2007, 11:01 pm

we went to see 'Stardust' last weekend. Reasonably entertaining hokum for the kids. Delightful wee performance from De Niro,

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#10 Post by Maria Mac » November 20th, 2007, 9:36 am

We saw The Jane Austen Book Club and really enjoyed it. It hasn't been that well-reviewed in the press, people seem to think it doesn't live up to the book but I thought the opposite was true - I enjoyed it much more than the book. It's also been described as a chick flick or one that only Jane Austen devotees can appreciate but Alan is neither and he really enjoyed it.

Meathead

#11 Post by Meathead » November 27th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Maria wrote:Yesterday we saw 'Control', the sad story of Ian Stuart and Joy Division. It went on a bit but I really enjoyed it even though I was never a fan of their music.
I saw this movie the other day. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought they told his story very well without force feeding 'the answers' if you will.

Also, it appeared that Sam Riley, who played Ian Curtis, actually sang the Joy Division songs himself, which makes for a better experience. And his acting overall was just so intense and spot on.

Having been a Joy Division fan, it was really cool watching those great songs come to life in this movie.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#12 Post by Maria Mac » November 29th, 2007, 11:14 am

Nice to see it get so many awards.

source

Joy Division movie scoops five awards

29/11/2007

A SMALL-budget British film about Joy Division singer Ian Curtis scooped a fist-full of awards last night.

Control, made for just £3m and starring an unknown actor in his first lead role as the Macclesfield singer, won five prizes at the British Independent Film Awards .

The movie, which follows the last years of Curtis before he killed himself aged 23 on the eve of the Manchster band's first US tour, won Best British Independent Film.

Sam Riley, 27, who plays the iconic singer, was named Most Promising Newcomer and Anton Corbijn won Best Director for his first feature film.

Control, with a soundtrack including New Order, David Bowie, the Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop, also earned him the Best Debut Director title.

Toby Kebbell, 25, as Joy Division's manager and Factory Records' Rob Gretton, won Best Supporting Actor.

Daniel Craig won the Variety Award for his Bond role; Dame Judi Dench won Best Actress and Ray Winstone won an award for his contribution to British film.

Oxfordrocks

#13 Post by Oxfordrocks » November 29th, 2007, 5:13 pm

The Golden Compass is out Friday.

Can't wait.
I know the churchy stuff has been dumbed down but it should be a decent film. :thumbsup:
hello

wizzy

Re: Cinema

#14 Post by wizzy » December 17th, 2007, 8:13 pm

I enjoyed The Golden Compass, I thought it was very good, better than I expected. The girl who played Lyra was very good. There was no direct reference to religion, but the Majesterium leaders looked religious (and sinister) and there were some not very subtle references.

The only disappointment was that it suddenly stopped. For those who haven't read the book the ending was probably at a reasonable place, but I was waiting for the last bit when the film just stopped.

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » December 17th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Were there complaints about Happy Feet - the one about the penguin? There was definitely a bit of religion-bashing in it.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » December 18th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Were there complaints about Happy Feet - the one about the penguin? There was definitely a bit of religion-bashing in it.
Naturally there were complaints, they needn't talk about Muslims griping all the time.
in a November 17 entry on his Townhall.com weblog, conservative talk-show host Michael Medved referred to the film as "Crappy Feet," and said it was the "darkest, most disturbing feature length animated film ever offered by a major studio."
Full story here, there were lots of others at the time.

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » December 20th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Oxfordrocks
The Golden Compass is out Friday.

Can't wait.
I know the churchy stuff has been dumbed down but it should be a decent film
Vatican blasts "Golden Compass" as Godless and hopeless" No surprise there then.
The Vatican newspaper called the movie "the most anti-Christmas film possible"

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » December 21st, 2007, 6:27 pm

Alan C. wrote:
...conservative talk-show host Michael Medved...said it was the "darkest, most disturbing feature length animated film ever offered by a major studio."
He's not seen The Passion of the Christ, then?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Moonbeam

#19 Post by Moonbeam » December 25th, 2007, 12:29 am

I haven't been to the cinema in ages but I had the misfortune recently to watch Nil by Mouth (Ray Winstone, Kathy Burke) on DVD. If you haven't seen it and get the opportunity to....run a mile! I felt like slashing my wrists by the end of it.

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » December 25th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Just watched Shrek 2 on TV - not as good as the original and much better than Shrek the Third, but had some good bits! Like when Puss in Boots was being arrested and the police found a small polythene bag on him filled with a suspicious-looking substance...catnip, of course! And the same police threatening Shrek with a pepper grinder instead of a pepper spray!
Alan Henness