INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Beki

Re: Films

#81 Post by Beki » December 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I agree - Blood Diamonds was really excellent. In fact, much as I can't stand the little twerp, De Crapio seems to be in pretty good films much of the time. As does 'Mike from Neighbours' - Guy Pierce (Memento, LA Confidential, and that Australian transvestite one - can't for the life of me remember the name).

Favourite foreign film has to be "Life is Beautiful" - the wee boy in it is just wonderful.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

getreal

#82 Post by getreal » December 15th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Have to be honest and admit that I rarely watch foreign films (ie subtitled films) as I am basically too lazy. I only watched the Macedonian on because my daughter is married to one (Macedonian, that is, not a film. You can't marry a film. Hey! but if you could.....new thread coming on...). She lives there too, so we felt we had to watch it.

I enjoyed Babel (which everyone I know kept pronouncing 'Babble' and they even pronounced it thus (!!) on radio 4.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

The Bishop's Wife

#83 Post by Alan H » December 24th, 2008, 3:29 pm

I watched 5 minutes of The Preacher's Wife on TV earlier, but the original is far better (even without Whitney Houston)! It was made in 1947, starring David Niven, Cary Grant and Loretta Young and is on YouTube.

Yes, I know it's about angels and god, but, like Frank Capra's A Wonderful Life, is still a great film (also on Youtube).
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

DougS

Re: The Bishop's Wife

#84 Post by DougS » December 26th, 2008, 1:03 am

Cue for a thread about what crappy films did we see this xmas - TV or cinema. I saw 'There's a girl in my soup' with Peter Sellers and Goldie Hawn a couple of days ago. I couldn't understand how those two great actors lent themselves to such rubbish. I actually enjoyed Oklahoma! on xmas day a lot better.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#85 Post by Maria Mac » December 26th, 2008, 3:35 pm

My Fair Lady was a treat as always though it gets boring towards the end, after Eliza flounces out of Professor Higgins' house. South Pacific is on at the moment. I remember seeing this with my parents in the early 1960s and being enchanted by it but now I'm finding it absolutely chronic apart from when the fabulous Mitzi Gaynor is on screen.

Zoe

#86 Post by Zoe » December 27th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I enjoyed My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins. Everything else was pants.

Nick

#87 Post by Nick » December 29th, 2008, 4:38 pm

My Fair Lady was, in part, responsible for my life-long interest in architecture. Professor Higgins' library was an inspiration!

I know. I am sad.

Firebrand

#88 Post by Firebrand » January 9th, 2009, 11:11 am

Nobody else been to the cinema recently?

I saw Australia at the weekend and really enjoyed it. OK, it's far fetched at times but always absorbing I found.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#89 Post by Maria Mac » January 9th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I 'm sure it is, Firebrand, but my problem with it is that it's got Nicole Kidman in it and I've gone right off her after enduring a dozen times too many what I consider to be the worst advert in the history of TV: the one advertising Channel No. 5 featuring the very same Nicole Kidman. I HATE it! :sick: :angry: :headbang:

Our only trip to the cinema in the last few months was to see The Changeling starring Angelina Jolie, which is well reviewed but I personally found both boring and vile.

Alan H

#90 Post by Alan H » January 9th, 2009, 12:50 pm

But I found it engaging and interesting, although I wasn't prepared for the gruesome
Spoiler:
child kidnappings and killings
, of which there was no inkling in the trailer. I thought it was just going to be a suspense thriller about a boy who had disappeared.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Zoe

#91 Post by Zoe » January 10th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Maria wrote:I 'm sure it is, Firebrand, but my problem with it is that it's got Nicole Kidman in it and I've gone right off her after enduring a dozen times too many what I consider to be the worst advert in the history of TV: the one advertising Channel No. 5 featuring the very same Nicole Kidman. I HATE it! :sick: :angry: :headbang:
I have similar feelings about that ad but it didn't stop me seeing Australia and really enjoying it. I think Kidman is a great actress and while watching her in one role I forget all about any other roles she's played.

Another brilliant actress is Kate Winslett who I saw last night in The Reader with Ralph Fiennes. Sort of recommended but only because the two stars make the film worth watching.

Firebrand

#92 Post by Firebrand » January 15th, 2009, 11:52 am

Anyone else see The LakeHouse on TV a couple of nights ago? I absolutely loved it.

Alan H

#93 Post by Alan H » January 15th, 2009, 12:52 pm

We saw it in the cinema when it came out and watched it again on TV. I think I got a bit lost halfway through this time, but it is a romantic and thoroughly engaging film (OK, a suspension of reality required). I'd like to get the DVD.
Alan Henness

Beki

#94 Post by Beki » January 19th, 2009, 9:39 am

Had to quickly pop into the forum this morning to recommend a film I rented on DVD at the weekend. It is really rare that I watch something that I think, "I just have to tell other people about this", but there you go.

It is called "Everything is Illuminated" and stars Elijah Wood (Frodo in Lord of the Rings) as a young Jewish American who travels back to Ukraine in order to find out where his family came from during the war and to track down and thank a lady called "Augustine" without whom, his grandfather said, he would not have been able to get out of Ukraine safely. He hires a translator to take him deep into the rural countryside and in a kind of 'road trip' way, learns about them, and they, him.

I only got the film out because the part of the young translator is played by Eugene Hutz (the lead singer of a band that I like) and I must admit that my expectations were low because that is really no reason to rent a film. However I thought it was really amazing. Eugene Hutz was utterly brilliant and his relationship with his grandfather was beautifully portrayed (I thought) with so much sentiment unspoken as his grandfather is still obviously affected by his own experiences of the war.

Dark, funny, poignant and whimsical, great acting and fantastic cinematography - I can't believe that I haven't heard of this film before. If you get it, I hope you enjoy it too.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Firebrand

#95 Post by Firebrand » February 6th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Sounds good, Becky, thanks for that.

Anyone else see Inherit the Wind on TV recently? I'd never seen it before and really enjoyed it, especially the defence lawyer played by Spencer Tracy but felt really let down by the cop-out at the end. Oh, so our hero was a Christian after all..... :cross:

Alan H

#96 Post by Alan H » February 6th, 2009, 11:12 pm

It was a good film. Seen it several times before. Unfortunately, it doesn't really reflect what really happened.

I saw Leslie Neilson (yes, he of Police Squad and Airplane) perform the story in a one-man play called Clarence Darrow (the real name of the lawyer) in Edinburgh many years ago. It was very good, but I can't remember if it was more accurate or not.
Alan Henness

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#97 Post by Maria Mac » February 7th, 2009, 12:36 am

It was the first time I'd seen it all the way through and I thought the Spencer Tracy character had a brilliant script but I didn't like the way the prosecuter was portrayed a total buffoon and thought a lot of it just didn't ring true. I actually think what really happened is more interesting than this highly fictionalised version and wish they'd make a more accurate film about it.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#98 Post by Maria Mac » February 8th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Just got back from seeing Slumdog Millionaire which I thought was brilliant, in spite of one scene that was worse than horrific.

Alan H

#99 Post by Alan H » February 11th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Following a link in an article on today's Times about Darwin and the vatican (see today's MediaScan, I came across a page that had links to articles from the Times published at the time of the Scopes trial in 1925. I've not read them yet, but I'm sure they will be a fascinating insight into what was happening. In this electronic age, am I the only one who forgets that papers like the Times have been around for quite a while?
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#100 Post by Alan C. » February 11th, 2009, 1:08 pm

see today's MediaScan
It's not up yet Alan.
I just commented on a letter in the Times, Paul Woolley Director of Theos trying to imply that Darwin was a Theist :angry:

I see they haven't printed my post (yet?) Wooley quoted half a paragraph from a Darwin letter so I finished it off for him. :smile:
I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God.
He quoted
I think that generally (& more and more so as I grow older) but not always, that an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind.
I added
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#101 Post by Alan H » February 11th, 2009, 1:22 pm

I'm getting there! :D
Alan Henness