INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Windows 10

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Ninny

Windows 10

#1 Post by Ninny » November 3rd, 2015, 3:05 pm

Do I want Windows 10? I can't make up my own mind, so the experiences of others would be welcome! Thanks

Dave B

Re: Windows 10

#2 Post by Dave B » November 3rd, 2015, 3:26 pm

I've had it on my laptop for a while now but have not fully explored its more intricate bits.

Superficially it's much like 8/8.1, only small changes on the normal desktop though the "Metro" desktop seems to be a bit of an afterthought. You have to use it to power off etc. but it opens more like a window rather than occupying the whole screen in my set-up. However I am not sure how much "personalisation" 10 picked up from the 8.1 OS I upgraded from.

There is probably more that can be done but I have not viewed the tutorial yet.

All in all, as used at tye moment, there is little different. One bonus is that I found the "Snipping" tool that I lost upgrading from 8 to 8.1. Useful tool for grabbing bits of the screen.

I am not unhappy with 10 and have had no nasty suprises so far, except that a couple of older apps don't want to run - not a real problem.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » November 3rd, 2015, 3:33 pm

Ninny wrote:Do I want Windows 10? I can't make up my own mind, so the experiences of others would be welcome! Thanks
Yes. Simple.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#4 Post by Tetenterre » November 3rd, 2015, 3:33 pm

I installed it soon after it came out (Lenovo Yoga-2, 11.6"). Far, far preferable to the Windows 8.1 that the computer came with (I'd not used Windows since early days of XP and have been using mostly Linux for 10 years or so before getting this computer). I'd had to get a lot of 3rd party stuff (e.g. Start menu stuff) to get 8.1 to be even tolerable; no need with 10, which also seems faster than 8.1.

The upgrade went smoothly.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » November 3rd, 2015, 6:40 pm

Tetenterre wrote:I installed it soon after it came out (Lenovo Yoga-2, 11.6"). Far, far preferable to the Windows 8.1 that the computer came with (I'd not used Windows since early days of XP and have been using mostly Linux for 10 years or so before getting this computer). I'd had to get a lot of 3rd party stuff (e.g. Start menu stuff) to get 8.1 to be even tolerable; no need with 10, which also seems faster than 8.1.

The upgrade went smoothly.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have.
The "faster" experience is interesting, TT, come to think of it some apps do load quivker. But my HP is getting long in the tooth and not sure that there is a huge difference.

All in all though I am glad for the upgrade. But it still seems to need further upgrades, lost the use of it for almost 30min last time I turned it on as it reconfigured. Hope this is not a sign of yet another Microsoft product needing endless patches (even if to tighten the security)!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#6 Post by Nick » November 4th, 2015, 10:58 am

Thanks for the info. And thanks Ninny for starting the thread! I have an option to upgrade on my recently purchased lap-top. I will take it up, based on the good responses here.

So I can blame you if it goes wrong...... :D

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » November 4th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Not directly on thread but...

Have just taken delivery of a new tablet with W10 preloaded. Lost MS account details, it's a heck of a job getting back in!!

Ended up with laptop happy with new password, after getting change confirmation from MS, but tablet refusing to accept it. Took about 8 attempts to get both to agree.

W10 not so easy to use on a tablet, implemented differently.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » November 4th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Dave B wrote:Not directly on thread but...

Have just taken delivery of a new tablet with W10 preloaded. Lost MS account details, it's a heck of a job getting back in!!

Ended up with laptop happy with new password, after getting change confirmation from MS, but tablet refusing to accept it. Took about 8 attempts to get both to agree.

Don't use a MS account! It may not be that obvious (deliberately?), but you don't need an MS account to log in - you're asked for one (or to create on when you install W10), but you can choose a local login instead. I think there's a way of changing it later.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » November 4th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:Not directly on thread but...

Don't use a MS account! It may not be that obvious (deliberately?), but you don't need an MS account to log in - you're asked for one (or to create on when you install W10), but you can choose a local login instead. I think there's a way of changing it later.
Yeah, at one point it offered, "Ignore this and carry on" and I did.

Then it flatly refused to open any Office apps without my singing onto an account. Could not find a way round that.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » November 4th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Dave B wrote:Then it flatly refused to open any Office apps without my singing onto an account. Could not find a way round that.
If they are Office 360 apps, then you probably need an MS account, but I can't see that that would force you to log in with the same credentials.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » November 4th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:Then it flatly refused to open any Office apps without my singing onto an account. Could not find a way round that.
If they are Office 360 apps, then you probably need an MS account, but I can't see that that would force you to log in with the same credentials.
Not 360, just twblet apps, 360 offer in there somewhere.

I synced with my laptop as it was setting up, as suggested, so it wanted the same stuff.

OT: now trying to get tablet not to default to portrait every time I wake it up. No auto rotation and l'scape best for typing on screen and using the optional docking keyboard (that turns it into a touchscreen notebook). Lots of people on web looking for answer to that problem and no answer found as yet!

Later: fixed above, now locked in landscape. Wish I had made notes, three things to set and a "factory reset" in the right order! Might try to change back and forth tomorrow so I can write up how to do it. There again . . .
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#12 Post by Tetenterre » November 5th, 2015, 10:08 am

Louise installed Windows 10 at the weekend; only issue so far is that 2-finger scrolling on the touch-pad became intermittent. Known issue: the solution is to install updated drivers.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » November 5th, 2015, 10:13 am

Tetenterre wrote:Louise installed Windows 10 at the weekend; only issue so far is that 2-finger scrolling on the touch-pad became intermittent. Known issue: the solution is to install updated drivers.
Always best to ensure BIOS and drivers are up to date before upgrading!
Alan Henness

Fia

#14 Post by Fia » November 5th, 2015, 11:59 am

Good question Ninny :D What happens if I don't install Windows 10? Have only just got my head round 8.1. As it's currently offered free will I have to pay for it later if I don't install it now? Their website doesn't seem to help. I've heard uncomfortable things about its possible snooping and don't have enough know-how to ensure I'm as secure as possible.

I really miss XP :boohoo: it did everything I needed but felt obliged to go to 8.1 when the XP support ceased.

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » November 5th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Fia wrote:Good question Ninny :D What happens if I don't install Windows 10? Have only just got my head round 8.1. As it's currently offered free will I have to pay for it later if I don't install it now? Their website doesn't seem to help. I've heard uncomfortable things about its possible snooping and don't have enough know-how to ensure I'm as secure as possible.

I really miss XP :boohoo: it did everything I needed but felt obliged to go to 8.1 when the XP support ceased.
As I understand it, 8.1 has been updated to gather much the same info as W10, but the fears over this have been much exaggerated!

And yes, you will have to pay for it sometime next year. I'd suggest upgrading now.

Microsoft tackles Windows 10 privacy concerns, explains what types of data it collects
Alan Henness

Fia

#16 Post by Fia » November 5th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Thank you Alan. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet before the year is out as I've resigned from my main work and need to closely watch the pennies. I predict another steep learning curve...

Seems the only thing they say they don't collect is advertising data. Yet I don't understand why everyone doesn't use adblocking software as standard :shrug: Do folk actually like all that flashy intrusion that takes forever to upload?

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » November 5th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Fia wrote:Thank you Alan. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet before the year is out as I've resigned from my main work and need to closely watch the pennies. I predict another steep learning curve...

Seems the only thing they say they don't collect is advertising data. Yet I don't understand why everyone doesn't use adblocking software as standard :shrug: Do folk actually like all that flashy intrusion that takes forever to upload?
I suspect most are unaware of what is collected (and much of it is just tailoring ads with what you've been browsing), but some adblockers now permit advertisers who have paid to have their ads not blocked...

Mind you, if Theresa May's snooper's charter gets through, that may be the least of our worries!
Alan Henness

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » November 5th, 2015, 5:18 pm

With you on XP, Fia!
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#19 Post by Tetenterre » November 19th, 2015, 10:24 am

This new "big improvement" to W10 (aka Threshold 2) is a right pain: it changes many of your file associations from the application you were using to a functionally deficient Microsoft version. :angry:

Also, using the recommended method of changing file associations (Settings > System > Default Apps) limits the choice to stuff that someone has deemed appropriate for you. To choose your own, you need to do Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program, where you get an option to "Look for another App on this PC".

Well, that's half an hour of my life I won't get back... :twisted:
Steve

Alan H

#20 Post by Alan H » November 19th, 2015, 10:35 am

Tetenterre wrote:This new "big improvement" to W10 (aka Threshold 2) is a right pain: it changes many of your file associations from the application you were using to a functionally deficient Microsoft version. :angry:

Also, using the recommended method of changing file associations (Settings > System > Default Apps) limits the choice to stuff that someone has deemed appropriate for you. To choose your own, you need to do Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program, where you get an option to "Look for another App on this PC".

Well, that's half an hour of my life I won't get back... :twisted:
Yes, W10 seems to forget some file associations, but I have found it easier just to fix them as an when they occur. No idea why it does this though.
Alan Henness