INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Windows 10

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Alan H

Re: Windows 10

#21 Post by Alan H » November 19th, 2015, 10:35 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Tetenterre wrote:This new "big improvement" to W10 (aka Threshold 2) is a right pain: it changes many of your file associations from the application you were using to a functionally deficient Microsoft version. :angry:

Also, using the recommended method of changing file associations (Settings > System > Default Apps) limits the choice to stuff that someone has deemed appropriate for you. To choose your own, you need to do Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program, where you get an option to "Look for another App on this PC".

Well, that's half an hour of my life I won't get back... :twisted:
Yes, W10 seems to forget some file associations, but I have found it easier just to fix them as an when they occur. No idea why it does this though.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#22 Post by Tetenterre » November 19th, 2015, 11:20 am

Alan H wrote:Yes, W10 seems to forget some file associations
For bloody large values of "some"! Managed to get hit by four changes in the process of writing one measly 600-word article!

Forbes has a couple of interesting (to me, anyway) articles on this update:
Massive Windows 10 Update Has Three Nasty Surprises
Massive Windows 10 Update Has 10 Great Secret Features
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Ninny

#23 Post by Ninny » November 20th, 2015, 9:06 am

Thanks for those links! I don't understand a word of them, though ...