INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Grand Theft Auto V makes fun of Atheism and Humanism

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Compassionist

Grand Theft Auto V makes fun of Atheism and Humanism

#1 Post by Compassionist » January 9th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Did you know that the Grand Theft Auto V game makes fun of atheism and humanism? Please see: http://imgur.com/gallery/FEGbH/new

I think that Grand Theft Auto V makers have been unfair and imbalanced. They didn't make fun of Christianity or Islam yet mocked Humanism.

Nick

Re: Grand Theft Auto V makes fun of Atheism and Humanism

#2 Post by Nick » January 10th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I find it all rather sad and pathetic. But then again, it goes with my minds image of spotty teenage guys in backwards baseball caps.....

If that's unfair, well, perhaps they should grow up in their opinion of humanists and atheists.

animist

#3 Post by animist » January 10th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I think GTA is a dubious entertainment since it trivialises violence, but my daughter, who incidentally is also a humanist, is a GTA fan, so I probably take its ethical values, lack of, too seriously. She thinks that GTA takes the piss out of everything, so maybe being its target is either a positive or not worth worrying about :D

Actually I don't get how this supposed attack on atheism works - it is just an expansion of something called ASSMUNCH? As you might infer, I have no interest in any computer game :wink:

Compassionist

#4 Post by Compassionist » January 12th, 2014, 9:35 am

animist wrote:I think GTA is a dubious entertainment since it trivialises violence, but my daughter, who incidentally is also a humanist, is a GTA fan, so I probably take its ethical values, lack of, too seriously. She thinks that GTA takes the piss out of everything, so maybe being its target is either a positive or not worth worrying about :D

Actually I don't get how this supposed attack on atheism works - it is just an expansion of something called ASSMUNCH? As you might infer, I have no interest in any computer game :wink:
I am quoting from the website: "This is the listing for the atheist group on the Cult Stoppers website. Notice the acronym is A.S.S.M.U.N.C.H."

I never actually notice the acronym until I saw http://imgur.com/gallery/FEGbH/new The acronym isn't important. The website doesn't explain where the mocking text actually comes from. In Grand Theft Auto V there are mobile phones and computers which can be used to browse a simulated internet inside the game. In this simulated internet there are many websites including websites for planes and cars where you can order planes and cars from. There are also websites for organisations inside the game. Cultstoppers is such an organisation inside the game. Some of the text on humanism and atheism comes from this organisation's website. The rest of the text on humanism and atheism comes from a humanist website inside the game. Inside the game, if you and your daughter go to http://www.accept-the-chaos.com/ you will be able to see the website of the humanist organisation inside the game.

The game doesn't take the piss out of everything e.g. it never mocks Christianity or Islam or Hinduism. It does mock politicians, American lifestyle and ironically, violent video games.

Compassionist

#5 Post by Compassionist » January 12th, 2014, 9:49 am

Nick wrote:I find it all rather sad and pathetic. But then again, it goes with my minds image of spotty teenage guys in backwards baseball caps.....

If that's unfair, well, perhaps they should grow up in their opinion of humanists and atheists.
I agree with you.

draykorinee

#6 Post by draykorinee » January 23rd, 2014, 9:40 pm

I don't understand the issue, GTA 5 mocks nearly everything about modern day life, its full of mocking, satirical, absurd pop culture. Even if the developers were mocking Atheism, and this particular example is an 'easter egg' which in game terms means its something you actively seek out because its generally very well hidden, so what?

Too much is being seen in what is essentially a satirical game, I would never oppose comedy aimed at my beliefs.

It mocked scientology http://www.classicalite.com/articles/42 ... oilers.htm

It also had a cult first introduced in San andreas on the playstation 2 called the Epsilon project, which has since been further developed in GTA 5 which mocks the cult aspect of religions.

The original GTA you ran over hari krishnas

Darius Fontaine (an in game character) is very disparaging of religion

I don't know why a game needs to be equal in its mocking.
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory
making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Tetenterre

#7 Post by Tetenterre » January 25th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Compassionist wrote:Did you know that the Grand Theft Auto V game makes fun of atheism and humanism? Please see: http://imgur.com/gallery/FEGbH/new

I think that Grand Theft Auto V makers have been unfair and imbalanced. They didn't make fun of Christianity or Islam yet mocked Humanism.
Sorry, but this does not bother me at all. Unlike many religionistas, I don't expect to go through life with some sort of immunity from mockery. I'm more than happy to take the piss out of things I find ridiculous, and it's only fair that I should expect the same.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Cam

#8 Post by Cam » February 11th, 2014, 3:51 pm

The writers were probably christian and islam was not mocked as they were too scared to do so!
Sorry, but this does not bother me at all. Unlike many religionistas, I don't expect to go through life with some sort of immunity from mockery. I'm more than happy to take the piss out of things I find ridiculous, and it's only fair that I should expect the same.
Absolutely! I must admit to grinning when I first read it. Especially the acronym. :laughter:

We should always have our beliefs prodded every now and then. It keeps us on our toes!

Compassionist

#9 Post by Compassionist » February 12th, 2014, 9:42 am

Cam wrote:
The writers were probably christian and islam was not mocked as they were too scared to do so!
You may be correct!
Cam wrote:
Absolutely! I must admit to grinning when I first read it. Especially the acronym. :laughter:

We should always have our beliefs prodded every now and then. It keeps us on our toes!
I don't have a problem with humanism being mocked - I just want the mocking to be balanced and equally directed at all the major life stances. That would be fair.

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » February 12th, 2014, 9:49 am

It's not the mockers we have to worry about, without the sheep who follow them they would be empty vessels. Worry about the unthinking mobs in history who have destroyed as much of the good as of the bad under the leadership of an individual or group with any kind of influence.

Beware the influence of computer games (or Facebook, or Twitter) and just hope most of the users' brains are not turned to malleable putty by them!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

pantodragon

#11 Post by pantodragon » February 12th, 2014, 3:39 pm

GTA is one of my favourite games. To expect balanced mockery seems to me to be a bit perfectionist, and to be really asking a bit much. These games are expensive enough as it is, but if they had to employ somebody to whip up a bit of mockery for all the people that had been missed out in the first edition of each game, then the price would become even worse.

Actually, playing GTA was some of the best therapy I ever gave myself. Back from a hard day at work? Been used and abused by the boss? Kick the cat? Beat up the wife/husband? No! Play GTA! Actually, I think GTA ought to be compulsory in schools. I can think of many pupils I have encountered, many with real anger issues, that would surely benefit from some GTA therapy. Better to run over a virtual old man than to store up the anger until it finds explosive release in some serious misdemeanour, like running over a real old man!

Actually, the best thing about the game is the humour. It's getting to do all the immoral things, to behave in the worst possible ways but to laugh about it. The power of humour cannot be over estimated. One of the bits I really liked in an earlier game was where I mugged an old man who turned out to be a Vietnam vet. So I ended up being the one that got mugged!

Compassionist

#12 Post by Compassionist » February 12th, 2014, 5:59 pm

pantodragon wrote:GTA is one of my favourite games. To expect balanced mockery seems to me to be a bit perfectionist, and to be really asking a bit much. These games are expensive enough as it is, but if they had to employ somebody to whip up a bit of mockery for all the people that had been missed out in the first edition of each game, then the price would become even worse.

Actually, playing GTA was some of the best therapy I ever gave myself. Back from a hard day at work? Been used and abused by the boss? Kick the cat? Beat up the wife/husband? No! Play GTA! Actually, I think GTA ought to be compulsory in schools. I can think of many pupils I have encountered, many with real anger issues, that would surely benefit from some GTA therapy. Better to run over a virtual old man than to store up the anger until it finds explosive release in some serious misdemeanour, like running over a real old man!

Actually, the best thing about the game is the humour. It's getting to do all the immoral things, to behave in the worst possible ways but to laugh about it. The power of humour cannot be over estimated. One of the bits I really liked in an earlier game was where I mugged an old man who turned out to be a Vietnam vet. So I ended up being the one that got mugged!
Venting anger by killing people in GTA is likely to make matters worse. Please see: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hig ... -literally

pantodragon

#13 Post by pantodragon » February 14th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Compassionist wrote: Venting anger by killing people in GTA is likely to make matters worse. Please see: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hig ... -literally
There are just SO many things wrong with that article that I am considering writing a post based on it. Just one thing I will say here: the article is entirely predictable. It has arisen BECAUSE it has been the theory for many years that one should not bottle up one's anger. When one lot of scientists propose one theory, then as sure as night follows day, the next lot is going to come along and propose exactly the opposite. Scientists are just SO predictable, and it's all just so off-the-wall.