INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Film criticism and recommendation

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Dave B

Film criticism and recommendation

#1 Post by Dave B » January 1st, 2013, 10:28 pm

Having given up on "War of the Worlds" (the Tom Cruise version) after half an hour more because of its portrayal of the dysfunctional version of American Family Life than for its (still not very good) overall cinematographic quality I wonder is there are any films actually worth watching.

I am basically a sci-fi fan (David Lynch's "Dune", "The Fifth Element", "Star Wars" etc.) also but enjoy well made films such as "The Calendar Girls" and "The Exotic Marigold Hotel" as well as anything Shakespearean that is set in the correct period.

Does anyone have any recommendations? The story, production, direction and cinematography are more important to me than the special effects. Time to broaden my horizons maybe!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

geolab

Re: Film criticism and recommendation

#2 Post by geolab » January 2nd, 2013, 1:56 am

I'm into scifi too, but there aren't many new films out there.... so.....

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - Not scifi but a very funny twist on 'Cabin in the woods' massacre movies.

Iron Sky is better than expected.

The Guard (2009) is excellent.

Kick Ass (2010)

Sling Blade (1996) if you haven't seen it.

Source Code (2011) is great time travel (sort of) scifi.

The Girl Next Door (2007) is a bit nasty. So is Down Terrace (2009) - black comedy?

Foreign Films not to miss:

Special Forces (2011)

Sin Nombre (2009)

The Chaser (2008)

Samaritan Girl (2004)

Kung Fu Hustle (Very Funny)

The Assault (2010)

OldBoy or Old Boy (2003)

The Raid (2011)

Bedevilled (2010)
..besieged, by a thousand or more .. Mexicans.. surrender at discretion, otherwise, ... put to the sword, .. I have answered.. with a cannon shot, .... sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier ... Victory or Death. William Barret Travis

thundril

#3 Post by thundril » January 2nd, 2013, 2:50 am

The Orphanage.
Volver.
Lord of War.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » January 2nd, 2013, 9:26 am

Thanks chaps, I have not heard of half of those!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » January 2nd, 2013, 4:11 pm

If you like sci-fi:
Silent Running
Dark Star
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » January 2nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Tetenterre wrote:If you like sci-fi:
Silent Running
Dark Star
Silent running didn't do a lot for me, watched it years ago. By coincidence I ordered Dark Star yesterday! Now that was a real cult movie made on a shoe string (mostly in a garage if I remember correctly) that was great - looking forward to it.

What I don't get is the tendency for American based films to show the dysfunctions in their family and social make-up - or is life really like that over there? Whatever, it detracts from the story far too much IMHO, that is what finally put me off War of the Worlds.

My favourites have probably been:
2001: A Space Odyssey (+ others in that series)
Star Wars (mainly original trilogy)
Dune (David Lynch - good cinematography even if it did not follow the book well)
Independence Day
Close Encounters
Fifth Element
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#7 Post by Compassionist » January 2nd, 2013, 7:22 pm

You have probably watched these but they are amongst my favourites:
Blade Runner
The Matrix Trilogy
Inception
Dark City
Paycheck
Minority Report
Total Recall

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » January 2nd, 2013, 7:24 pm

Should have had Blade Runner in my list - probably forgotten others as well.

Thanks Comp.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#9 Post by Tetenterre » January 3rd, 2013, 11:51 am

Dave B wrote: Dune (David Lynch - good cinematography even if it did not follow the book well)
I liked bits of it, but really disliked the way the "baddies" (e.g. the Baron and Feyd) were portrayed as pantomime villains.

Other stuff you might (or might not) enjoy:
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Sin City
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Ken H

#10 Post by Ken H » January 3rd, 2013, 3:28 pm

Not sure what you meant by a 'disfunctional family' in films, but I think a well-functioning family would not have much appeal in a sci-fi movie. :wink:

Some good ones listed previously, so here are some others I found interesting:

The Riddick films: Pitch Black and the Chronicles of Riddick
Quatermass and the Pit (A good oldie)
Aliens (Best of the Alien series)
Screamers (based on P.K. Dick's Second Variety) Not well received, but has an interesting premise.
Serenity
Spaceballs
The Time Machine
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » January 3rd, 2013, 4:19 pm

Spaceballs was brilliant!

Yeah, you are right re: "normal" families & social behaviour not being a good pull for the audience - but then I wonder about the difference between audiences on both sides of the Pond. Which are the films aimed at and is the change in British behaviour (over the past 30 years or so) a reaction to the imported films/TV progs I wonder? There just seems to be so much screaming and tantrums!!! Not to mention doing stupid things - but then acting sensibly just ain't good theatre. Perhaps being single and of a certain age I am out of touch with family life?
Me, 2015

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » January 5th, 2013, 12:20 am

Have you seen Moon, Dave? Great wee British low budget film. Won lots of awards. The director's dad is kinda cool, too :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Dave B

#13 Post by Dave B » January 5th, 2013, 9:57 am

getreal wrote:Have you seen Moon, Dave? Great wee British low budget film. Won lots of awards. The director's dad is kinda cool, too :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)
New one on me, getreal - thanks I will look out for it.

I found it too easy not to bother to look when I found so much of the studio output, er, less than pleasing to what I like to think of as my artistic sensitivities. Don't like the loud, "In yer face," stuff.
Me, 2015

lewist

#14 Post by lewist » January 5th, 2013, 2:20 pm

It's not released in the UK yet, Dave but when it's available, Lincoln is outstandingly good. I saw it the other day here in NC.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » January 5th, 2013, 3:05 pm

lewist wrote:It's not released in the UK yet, Dave but when it's available, Lincoln is outstandingly good. I saw it the other day here in NC.
Good. Athena and I want to see it.

BTW, how's the weather in NC?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#16 Post by Dave B » January 5th, 2013, 5:40 pm

I thought of selling my copy of War of the Worlds on Amazon, but there are 295 copies available at £0.01 already.

Looks the the BHF charity shop gets another donation.
Me, 2015

lewist

#17 Post by lewist » January 6th, 2013, 2:07 am

Alan H wrote:BTW, how's the weather in NC?
Quite variable. Sun today but with a nip in the air. Quite pleasant.

We have also seen The Hobbit (a disappointment for one expecting to see a film of the book) and Les Miserables (OK).

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#18 Post by Dave B » January 6th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Oh well, more moans!

I would not bother with the film "The Objective" (from the same crew as "The Blair Witch Project"), starts off OKish but does not improve and there is no ending at all really. Even special effects not special.

Another one for the charity shop it seems.
Me, 2015

Ken H

#19 Post by Ken H » January 7th, 2013, 12:02 am

I quite liked The Hobbit. I thought it matched up well with the films in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Of course, by splitting it up into three films, they had to embellish the story a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing the other two.

The film was distributed in six different combinations of 2D/3D/High Frame Rate/Regular Frame Rate/IMAX. I saw it in regular frame rate 3D. The 3D effects were quite natural with few pop-outs aimed at the audience. I think it enhanced the movie and sort of drew one into the story. It didn't seem as long as its 2:48 run time.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Ken H

#20 Post by Ken H » January 7th, 2013, 12:03 am

(quoted myself again!)